Sign in to follow this  
Strider6003

The 'oldies' who would you keep?

The 'oldies', who would you keep?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. With CFC's policy of not offering long contracts to players over 30 who would you be ok to see leave?

• Marcos Alonso born Dec 90
    • Pedro born July 87
    • Willian born Aug 88
    • Olivier Giroud born Sept 86
    • Cesar Azpilicueta born Aug 89

Thought I would put this together as on several threads we are all debating who should stay and who should go.

• Giroud is the oldest yet since Tammy has been injured has been sensational and allowed us to play even more offensively, stays for another season at least.
  • Pedro is the next oldest and has the most winning experience with medals, as well as been a good influence in the squad, he also does the dirty work on the pitch when asked as well as being a good attacking forward, stays for another season.
  • Willian is slightly younger, and is great at beating his man and eating up that space in the 3/4 of the pitch yet often the final ball deserts him, he also wants a 3 year contract, he leaves for me.
  • Azpilicueta, our captain, great servant playing right back and occasionally as a CB. He has been showing signs of rusty legs earlier in the season though has scored a couple of vital goals too. I would sell if a good replacement can be found or cover for James. 
  • Alonso is the youngest of the five, is one of the best attacking LWB's in the game. He is limited defensively at LB though is often preferred to the alternatives. I would keep.

Its too hard to say as we don't know who is coming in. For example If we could get Sancho I would definitely say let Willian go. If Willian was to accept a one year deal I would say keep him. Maybe two but lets see how he performs of the rest of the season. I would say let Pedro go with Ziyech coming so there's one. I know he played well at the weekend and still has pace but we have a replacement.

Giroud needs to go but we need a serious replacement. Who that is I don't know. Maybe one more year if we can't get anyone. If we can get Werner we should drop him.

I'd keep Alonso and Dave. They can do a job and provide cover for any new quality signings.

Giroud should stay if Lampard learns to rotate his strikers better, on song he's a huge asset.

Marcos hopefully as a rotation player to a new left back signing.

Azpi goes without saying should stay.

Willian and Pedro I think it's time to move on from, they both seem to hitting form right now so let them leave on a high.

I wouldn't even consider selling Azpilicueta.

Alonso shouldn't be first choice next season, but he's a great squad player to have.

Giroud, a very good back up striker. I would probably keep him.

Willian and Pedro, I would let them both go if we can replace them. Keep one if we can only replace one of them.

Willian and Pedro should move on. Have their last hurrah before retiring. Would like to have Pedro back in some capacity as he's the only attacker we have that has great movement off the ball. 

If Pedro can pass this knowledge on to Pulisic, Mount and CHO, we'd have a great set of wingers for the future.

I was skeptical about Azpilicueta at the start of the season but he's still good and has been having a good season, I think he has 1 more year in him so he should stay but I fear that some might turn against him in time. He's our captain so I don't think we should sell him but I do see him as the backup for James next season once we have signed a new Left-back.

Willian won't be happy to be more time on the bench once Ziyech comes and Pulisic is back so for everyone's best he should move to another team.

Pedro should move on as he will be 33 years old.

Giroud is still decent but too old and I believe that we should let him go and sign a new striker that will accompany Tammy and make it a fair fight and just overall more competitiveness. 

Alonso has been winning games, even so it's clear that he's not as good in the formation that Lampard wants to play, he's great when there are 3 at the back though so we do need a new LB and maybe we should keep Alonso as the backup LB in case there isn't anyone else from the academy. This also means that Emerson should be sold as well.

I totally misinterpreted the title and voted without thinking! I thought it was who you wanted to keep out of the above and the answer is Azpi hands down.

Posted (edited)

After recent games where all have contributed well, it would be all too easy to say keep them all. But I think as good as they can be on their day, NONE of them should be first team regulars next season and beyond.

I would not be concerned if they did all leave but I think Frank will want to keep some for stability and experience. As others have touched on, as good as both were yesterday, Pedro and Willian need to move on in the summer. The other three are all good squad players and if they are happy to play that role, then I would retain them.

Edited by Nibs

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Nibs said:

After recent games where all have contributed well, it would be all too easy to say keep them all. But I think as good as they can be on their day, NONE of them should be first team regulars next season and beyond.

I would not be concerned if they did all leave but I think Frank will want to keep some for stability and experience. As others have touched on, as good as both were yesterday, Pedro and Willian need to move on in the summer. The other three are all good squad players and if they are happy to play that role, then I would retain them.

I'll say it - if they keep up their performances, and unless we can replace with genuine quality then keep all of them. Pedro especially seems to have found a new lease of life playing at left wing and can play as a second striker (would CHO/Pulisic have made that run and finished like Pedro did yesterday?), Azpi can cover CB if necessary, and Giroud deserves to keep his place ahead of Tammy on current form.

Batshuayi, Emerson, Kepa (perhaps, even Kante and Hudson-Odoi) could be sold before any of the older players, imho.

Edited by the special one

2 hours ago, Argo said:

Giroud should stay if Lampard learns to rotate his strikers better, on song he's a huge asset.

Marcos hopefully as a rotation player to a new left back signing.

Azpi goes without saying should stay.

Willian and Pedro I think it's time to move on from, they both seem to hitting form right now so let them leave on a high.

Agree with this.

Azpi started off the season quite poorly but i think he has been solid again as usual for months now. 

Alonso is useful, and is actually putting in decent performances at left back, so he is a good player to have in the squad.

Giroud is just a solid professional, and hopefully after this European Championships, he will pretty retire from international duty, snd be more content to be in and out of the side.

Willian has had some good moments in a Chelsea shirt, but his time has come i think. 

Pedro is enjoying a bit of a swan song, and he has been a great player for with some massive contributions, but his best days are behind him.

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, the special one said:

I'll say it - if they keep up their performances, and unless we can replace with genuine quality then keep all of them. Pedro especially seems to have found a new lease of life playing at left wing and can play as a second striker (would CHO have made that run and finished like Pedro did yesterday?), Azpi can cover CB if necessary, and Giroud deserves to keep his place ahead of Tammy on current form.

Batshuayi, Emerson, Kepa (perhaps, even Kante and Hudson-Odoi) could be sold before any of the older players, imho.

You'd sell a young, sought after prospect like CHO ahead of Pedro and Willian? That's the sort of short-sightedness the club has shown in the past that has weakened our squad so much. Let's not forget (how could we) that our squad could currently include KDB, Salah and Lukaku.

No. it's time to move older players on - not keep them because they have outstanding games now & again. I will forgive the younger players bad games because they are still learning (and in CHO's case coming back from a bad injury). But the older players should be having more good games than bad and this season they haven't and I see no reason to think they will improve and that will change.  

Edited by Nibs

I’d keep Dave & Alonso as backups.

I’d also keep Giroud if he was OK with being a plan B striker.

Willian & Pedro have run their course IMO and we should replace.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Nibs said:

You'd sell a young, sought after prospect like CHO ahead of Pedro and Willian? That's the sort of short-sightedness the club has shown in the past that has weakened our squad so much. Let's not forget (how could we) that our squad could currently include KDB, Salah and Lukaku.

No. it's time to move older players on - not keep them because they have outstanding games now & again. I will forgive the younger players bad games because they are still learning (and in CHO's case coming back from a bad injury). But the older players should be having more good games than bad and this season they haven't and I see reason to think they will improve and that will change.  

I'd have no qualms selling a young player who hasn't proven to be an upgrade, has CHO done anything yet against top class Premier League opposition? I agree with the premise of what you're saying but for me we have enough youth in the team, what happens if Pulisic is injured again next season, CHO struggles with his form, and Ziyech is suspended for example? I'd hazard a guess we'll be in a tricky situation.

Re the bolded bit, I would have agreed with you until Billy Gilmour came on the scene - if he keeps this up his form he might just be the player to get another year or two out of the older players?

Edited by the special one

42 minutes ago, the special one said:

I'll say it - if they keep up their performances, and unless we can replace with genuine quality then keep all of them. Pedro especially seems to have found a new lease of life playing at left wing and can play as a second striker (would CHO/Pulisic have made that run and finished like Pedro did yesterday?), Azpi can cover CB if necessary, and Giroud deserves to keep his place ahead of Tammy on current form.

I think you forgot that Giroud,Pedro and Willian have their contracts expiring this summer so it's very likely that they leaving the club will be the first thing to happen, along side with Ziyech joining.

Hudson-Odoi is only 19 and he signed a contract till 2024, he shouldn't be mentioned at all.

38 minutes ago, 2211 said:

Willian & Pedro have run their course IMO and we should replace.

Personally I would like only one to go due to injuries we keep seeing and also whether the untested players we currently have can deliver to the same standard.

We also do not know if Ziyech will thrive here or not.

Posted (edited)

Haha nearly voted wrong. Had to read the Question again.

Azpi, Giroud and Alonso stay for me they all have their use and have still something to give for the team. (tactically, leadership, experience)

Willian can stay one year max. if he is okay being a bench player.
Pedro i like him but i think he has to go and bring in fresh blood in those positions.

Edited by Nevamind