Sign in to follow this  
Strider6003

The 'oldies' who would you keep?

The 'oldies', who would you keep?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. With CFC's policy of not offering long contracts to players over 30 who would you be ok to see leave?

• Marcos Alonso born Dec 90
    • Pedro born July 87
    • Willian born Aug 88
    • Olivier Giroud born Sept 86
    • Cesar Azpilicueta born Aug 89

Azpilicueta and Willian should definitely stay. I'd like to see Giroud stay too as it's always useful to have a massive lump around to whack the ball towards when we're out of other ideas. Plus he's handsome and French, which will annoy @BlueBeard.

Alonso is a tremendously flawed albeit hilarious player. If he's happy with somewhat of a reduced role, I'd like him to stay, even if we sign a competent left-back in the transfer window. He is definitely 'Serie A Team of the Season' material though, I can see him and Conte lifting the Scudetto together.

Assuming any of the alternatives to him are ever seen on a football pitch ever again, I would be comfortable letting Pedro leave. He's given us plenty and done it all with a smile on his face. He's clearly still got it, and it would be unfair to expect him to waste the remainder of his career freezing to death on the bench at Stamford Bridge. He should take his world-class attitude somewhere fun - back home to Tenerife maybe?

4 hours ago, Mod Stark said:

Keep them all!

I agree !

Having actually thought about it. Please no laughing at the back.:biggrin:

Depending on who else is sold and who we sign. They could be decent enough squad players or more for next season.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, erskblue said:

I agree !

Having actually thought about it. Please no laughing at the back.:biggrin:

Depending on who else is sold and who we sign. They could be decent enough squad players or more for next season.

I think this topic went live at the wrong time. We're understandably all full of joy and hope having thrashed Merseyside in the last two games - playing some great football and keeping 2 clean sheets with everyone playing well.

If that continues great, but let's see if we keep that view next time

Willian & Dave play like they did against Southampton and Bournemouth

Giroud and Pedro play like they did against West Ham

Alonso gets left for dead by some average journeyman.

I am still for keeping Dave, Alonso and Giroud as squad players but let's not wait for players to become really crap before releasing them. Why I admired Fergie so much in that he rarely got it wrong when selling players - always looking to keep the squad fresh and improve it rather than let players get too comfortable and complacent and lack that hunger.

Edited by Nibs

19 minutes ago, Nibs said:

I think this topic went live at the wrong time. We're understandably all full of joy and hope having thrashed Merseyside in the last two games - playing some great football and keeping 2 clean sheets with everyone playing well.

If that continues great, but let's see if we keep that view next time

Willian & Dave play like they did against Southampton and Bournemouth

Giroud and Pedro play like they did against West Ham

Alonso gets left for dead by some average journeyman.

I am still for keeping Dave, Alonso and Giroud as squad players but let's not wait for players to become really crap before releasing them. Why I admired Fergie so much in that he rarely got it wrong when selling players - always looking to keep the squad fresh and improve it rather than let players get too comfortable and complacent and lack that hunger.

Fair points.

It has been an inconsistent season performance wise, by most if not all our regular first team players.

I suppose I'm slightly biased, in that I'm a big fan of Giroud.

I couldn't understand why he wasn't getting more playing time. Even when Tammy Abrahams was fit and playing well.

A few weeks ago I would say let them all go, but the oldies have stepped up their game recently, more worryingly for me, look at their birth dates, f**k me 1989, 1990, that was the Bobby Campbell blue and white army era, only seems like yesterday, and this lot were in nappies!

Keep Alonso, Giroud and Azpi but only as backups. We are at a point of time where we should already have an established spine instead of being in another transition year. We've been in this transition for 5 years now. 

15 hours ago, PloKoon13 said:

Azpilicueta and Willian should definitely stay. I'd like to see Giroud stay too as it's always useful to have a massive lump around to whack the ball towards when we're out of other ideas. Plus he's handsome and French, which will annoy @BlueBeard.

Alonso is a tremendously flawed albeit hilarious player. If he's happy with somewhat of a reduced role, I'd like him to stay, even if we sign a competent left-back in the transfer window. He is definitely 'Serie A Team of the Season' material though, I can see him and Conte lifting the Scudetto together.

Assuming any of the alternatives to him are ever seen on a football pitch ever again, I would be comfortable letting Pedro leave. He's given us plenty and done it all with a smile on his face. He's clearly still got it, and it would be unfair to expect him to waste the remainder of his career freezing to death on the bench at Stamford Bridge. He should take his world-class attitude somewhere fun - back home to Tenerife maybe?

Excellent historical reference to the Shed End's favourite old xenophobic dinosaur!  (Well Francophobe, at least) 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, yorkleyblue said:

Excellent historical reference to the Shed End's favourite old xenophobic dinosaur!  (Well Francophobe, at least) 

Hope he is keeping well. Does he still drop by the match chat every now and then? Does the match chat even exist anymore? 

Edited by Spiller86

Not seen him around for a long time in here.  And I keep well clear of the match-day thread while the game is on.  I think thew actual match chat died. a long long time ago.

59 minutes ago, yorkleyblue said:

Not seen him around for a long time in here.  And I keep well clear of the match-day thread while the game is on.  I think thew actual match chat died. a long long time ago.

Shame. The match chat was a good spot back in the day. I wonder what ever became of Andreas. He used to frequent there a bit. 

To answer the actual question, as others have said it depends entirely on who we bring in this summer.

I think you need a squad of about 20 outfield players to get through a season. I'd wager that all 5 are currently in our top 12-13 players when everyone is fit. Others may have potential to go around them but I've not seen the performances just yet.

I'd definitely keep Dave and Alonso. Dave is an easy one but Alonso is good in a particular system that we have played often this year. One for the squad. 

Giroud is another who I would happily keep in the squad if we are willing to have options other than the high press. He makes other players around him better and is a good pro to have around the young lads. Much prefer he stayed to Batshuayi who has been on the books for 4 years without ever being seen as a starter by any of the 3 managers in that time.

Pedro and Willian are the tricky ones. For me both have useful traits that aren't replicated in other wide players we have. Pedro for his runs in behind and Willian for his ability to drop deep and turn under pressure. Both are also willing to suffer without the ball a trait I haven't seen in either CHO or Pulisic or Ziyech.

I suspect both will leave but we will miss them if we don't get adequate replacement(s). Problem is of course they are likely to make their decision before we get replacements in. Marina has made a good start on Ziyech but I think we need to have most of our business well underway otherwise we could be caught short with Giroud, Pedro and Willian all leaving and us not getting the replacements in we need.

6 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

Pedro and Willian are the tricky ones. For me both have useful traits that aren't replicated in other wide players we have. Pedro for his runs in behind and Willian for his ability to drop deep and turn under pressure. Both are also willing to suffer without the ball a trait I haven't seen in either CHO or Pulisic or Ziyech.

That's a very good couple of points.

I have another one and that is about winners, I always think it pays to have a couple of medal winners in the squad.

I think they can convey the determination and fight needed to sometimes get to the final and lift a trophy. 

5 hours ago, chi blue said:

A few weeks ago I would say let them all go, but the oldies have stepped up their game recently, more worryingly for me, look at their birth dates, f**k me 1989, 1990, that was the Bobby Campbell blue and white army era, only seems like yesterday, and this lot were in nappies!

Image result for victor meldrew i don't believe it

Aye, I when saw Giroud's being termed an 'Oldie' when his birthdate is Sept 1986 !

I don't believe it !!

4 hours ago, erskblue said:

Image result for victor meldrew i don't believe it

Aye, I when saw Giroud's being termed an 'Oldie' when his birthdate is Sept 1986 !

I don't believe it !!

Reminds me of that older film called Logan's run.

30 minutes ago, moi said:

Bloody hell!  That could be dear Yorkley's grandpa. He is a charming slim young man about town who could charm the birds out of the trees!

Sounds like you knew him in the 1700s. 

Bluebeard is alive and well.  Next time I speak to him I will pass on the nice comments you've made about him!  And yes, the old chat room was wonderful.

I would sell all apart from Azpi, who is the perfect cover/rotation for Reece.

Giroud won’t stay if we sign another striker which we absolutely need to.

Pedro’s legs have gone.

Willian is the same as he’s always been.

Alonso we have to change our whole formation just to fit in. I heard Maatsen might be covering for a new LB signing next season as well now. 

On 10/03/2020 at 17:48, PloKoon13 said:

I'd like to see Giroud stay too as it's always useful to have a massive lump around to whack the ball towards when we're out of other ideas. Plus he's handsome and French, which will annoy @BlueBeard.

Handsome AND French??? Shoot him now!

On 11/03/2020 at 08:51, yorkleyblue said:

I'm sure I don't know what you mean 😲

4 minutes ago, BlueBeard said:

I'm sure I don't know what you mean 😲

This young woman phoned you tonight to make sure you were still perky, but I had to leave a message.  Give me a ring when you have time! Hugs and kisses from moi! oxoxo

On 11/03/2020 at 19:39, moi said:

Bluebeard is alive and well.  Next time I speak to him I will pass on the nice comments you've made about him!  And yes, the old chat room was wonderful.

Hello moi! Sorry I missed your call earlier, tried to call you back but my phone wouldn't let me 😖 Apparently making calls to you isn't in my contract 😒

Call me tonight or tomorrow if you like, it'd be lovely to speak to my favourite jock frog 😍

I'd sell Batman and keep Giroud as a 3rd choice.

Keep alonso and sell emerson

Pedro bye bye

Cesar keep

And Willian is the one im stuck on if we're really gonna go after Sancho then i'd sell him if not i'd give him another year.