How to end this season ?

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I think. If the bottom 8 teams vote to carry on the season it will be turkeys voting for Christmas also us and Spurs would be silly to vote to complete season, finishing the season now with neutral grounds etc will make it an unpredictable lottery and can't be left to chance, but more importantly above everything in my opinion is in poor taste. 

1 hour ago, Boyne said:

I'm guessing that the ballot will be in secret. Agree, it is very likely that the bottom six will ask for the season to be cancelled and it wouldn't be surprising if Newcastle and Southampton joined them. It will also be interesting to see what happens with the teams currently in the top four places will do.  If it's assumed that the CL and EL competitions take place next season those in the top four could also vote to cancel the season so that they are guaranteed to play in the Champions League next season.

Which ever way the vote goes I predict a division in the PL and between the PL and the EFL and goodness knows how many legal actions. Those actions could drag on for months and years with many going to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS). CAS could be very busy over the next few months with actions brought by football and other sports.

Indeed, all 20 clubs will be voting for whichever is the least costly to its profit margin. The figure of 1 billion £ has been banded about as the amount lost if the season is cancelled, divided between 20 clubs = £50m. But im pretty sure they would lose double that if relegated out of the top flight, minimum, depending on how long it takes to get back in the EPL (Leeds), could be the start of 20 years outside the top league, so much of a gamble, they'll each take the £50m hit gladly, apart from one club.

2 hours ago, coco said:

Indeed, all 20 clubs will be voting for whichever is the least costly to its profit margin. The figure of 1 billion £ has been banded about as the amount lost if the season is cancelled, divided between 20 clubs = £50m. But im pretty sure they would lose double that if relegated out of the top flight, minimum, depending on how long it takes to get back in the EPL (Leeds), could be the start of 20 years outside the top league, so much of a gamble, they'll each take the £50m hit gladly, apart from one club.

Good point about taking a gamble. £50 million is a lot of money but compared to what the figure could be if relegated it could be peanuts. If a club is relegated could be smaller crowds, fewer shirt sales and less sponsorship. To re-coup £50 million, could wages be lowered and/or ticket prices be increased. The latter wouldn't be popular with fans especially as money is tight. 

I wonder if the clubs who were close to being promoted will be compensated.

All in all, challenging times.

1 hour ago, Boyne said:

If a club is relegated could be smaller crowds,

Very noticable if you watch Championship highlights the crowds the likes of Stoke, Boro, Birmingham etc have been getting since being relegated swathes of empty seats.

10 hours ago, JM7 said:

The economy is going to be knackered after this. So many people out of work, recession hitting hard. Surely clubs will also follow suit and struggle financially. 

Bank of England announced this morning that this is the worst recession EVER.  That will obviously affect football just as much as everything else.  The world really will be changed for the worse for years to come, I think.

7 minutes ago, yorkleyblue said:

Bank of England announced this morning that this is the worst recession EVER.  That will obviously affect football just as much as everything else.  The world really will be changed for the worse for years to come, I think.

For Balance they also said this "Andrew Bailey, Governor of the Bank of England, said he expected any permanent damage from the pandemic to be "relatively small". The economy was likely to recover "much more rapidly than the pull back from the global financial crisis," he said."

On 05/05/2020 at 22:43, Stretford Ender said:

And the one where Merv Hughes said to Botham as he was walking to the crease: 'How's your wife and my kids?' Botham answered 'Wife's fine. Kids are retarded.'

Never heard of that one before, sledging in cricket has really thrown up some gems down the years hasn't it?

15 hours ago, Boyne said:

Good point about taking a gamble. £50 million is a lot of money but compared to what the figure could be if relegated it could be peanuts. If a club is relegated could be smaller crowds, fewer shirt sales and less sponsorship. To re-coup £50 million, could wages be lowered and/or ticket prices be increased. The latter wouldn't be popular with fans especially as money is tight. 

I wonder if the clubs who were close to being promoted will be compensated.

All in all, challenging times.

I think the £50 million loss  is wrong. It has been calculated as average among clubs. Chelsea's wage bill is £285m a year. That's £7.5 per match.  9 games is £67.50m. That's also £5.48m per week and how many weeks are the club going to suffer these eye watering costs?  What income is the club getting at the moment? Are the TV companies paying the clubs? If I was a TV company I would think twice about paying the Premier League for matches that aren't happening. The TV companies are losing advertising revenue. Is anybody buying a season ticket for next season? Has anybody on here reduced or canceled their monthly SKY/BT subscription? The money is tightening up across the board and the clubs and players are going to have to make some tough decisions.

I can't help but feel the better run clubs will come through this but clubs that have borrowed heavily may come under more pressure. Surely the players will have to decide if they have their own or the games interests at heart. Can the clubs carry on paying these huge wages without matchday/season ticket income? This alone will kill a raft of clubs down the leagues. Premier league clubs will have to mitigate these losses and I'm pretty sure there will be less renewing of players contracts. If the clubs can't afford to keep on paying at this level they may have to give the players big wage cuts. Would certain players take a £100k a week pay cut? It could easily come to this. Especially if the players want a sport to come back to.

These are unprecedented times and I can't help but feel the game won't be the same for a long time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52576780

The Bundesliga will resume behind closed doors on Saturday 16 May - and is the first European league to restart following the coronavirus shutdown.

One of the games on the day of relaunch will be the derby between Schalke and Borussia Dortmund.

Champions Bayern Munich, who are four points clear at the top of the table, travel to Union Berlin on Sunday.

Most teams have nine games to play, with the final weekend of the season rescheduled for 27-28 June.

The German Football Association (DFB) said the season would resume under strict health protocols that bans fans from the stadium and requires players to have Covid-19 testing.

Around 300 people, including players, staff and officials, will be in or around the stadiums during matchdays.

The league has been suspended since 13 March; clubs returned to training in mid-April with players working out in groups.

Christian Seifert, chief executive of the German Football League (DFL), held a news conference on Thursday where he said despite the empty stands and other restrictions, "it was crucial to resume play".

Other updates to emerge included:

• As well as players and coaching staff, referees will also be subject to medical and hygiene regulations.
  • There was no clarification on the issue of matches being available free to air - talks are under way with broadcasters.
  • There were 10 positive results from clubs in the top two divisions following the first series of coronavirus tests - and two in the second series.

On Wednesday, Chancellor Angela Merkel eased some restrictions, allowing shops to reopen with the country seeing fewer than 7,000 deaths from coronavirus.

Seifert said: "The interest [globally] is big. I see reports from across the world that we are the first major league to return. This can only happen because we have the privilege to live in one of the most modern health systems in the world.

"The matches will feel different. After the first matchday, we will all know why we prefer games with fans. But that is the framework we have to operate in and I expect the best possible sport within this framework."

3 hours ago, Andy North said:

I think the £50 million loss  is wrong. It has been calculated as average among clubs. Chelsea's wage bill is £285m a year. That's £7.5 per match.  9 games is £67.50m. That's also £5.48m per week and how many weeks are the club going to suffer these eye watering costs?  What income is the club getting at the moment? Are the TV companies paying the clubs? If I was a TV company I would think twice about paying the Premier League for matches that aren't happening. The TV companies are losing advertising revenue. Is anybody buying a season ticket for next season? Has anybody on here reduced or canceled their monthly SKY/BT subscription? The money is tightening up across the board and the clubs and players are going to have to make some tough decisions.

But playing the last 9 games behind closed doors wont retrieve any money, they could lose the TV money, but the bottom 6 clubs would wave that money if it meant cancelling the season and assuring their safety in the top flight for another season.

So its a possible relegation after having to play the last 9 games behind closed doors, in a neutral ground, KO next season in the Championship???.......no way the bottom six will have that.

The Dutch will not allow crowds at sports events until a vaccine is available. https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/no-fans-in-dutch-stadiums-until-a-vaccine-is-developed-1.4247554

If other countries follow suit, sports we have enjoyed for years are going to struggle to survive. Really not sure what sort of experience watching football or rugby would be with no crowd. When I have seen a televised "behind closed doors" game, it's been the most depressing thing ever. 

Given Liverpool are miles ahead of everyone I have no problem with them filling at least half of it, Henderson shouldn't be there though, and Fernandes being in it is an absolute joke. 

28 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

Can’t really argue with it being full of Liverpool players. Good to see Soyuncu there though.

None of our players have been consistent enough to get in it, maybe if they did a youth XI?

Could name a few midfielders who get in there over Fernandes though, Kovacic easily if I were to pick a Chelsea player to get in it. 

I'm surprised that the BBC has allowed non-Liverpool players to be in the team. As others have mentioned, it makes sense that so many Liverpool players are in the team and also as others have commented: Fernandes? @Stretford EnderAs a Man Utd fan, do you think he warrants a place in the team given he's only played a handful of games?

Just seen this on the BBC website. Kyle Walker feels harassed for visiting his sister and hugging her and then going to his parents to pick up home-cooked meals. He states that he is concerned about his mental health. The state of people's mental health is a concern at the moment and not being able to see family and friends must be difficult for nearly everyone. I'm sure that we would all like to visit friends and family but we have to discipline ourselves. I know it's not seeing the same as seeing someone face to face and hugging them but we are fortunate that we have technology to allow us some form of contact. Also, when I've been out for a walk I've met people I know and we've stopped for a chat and practising social distancing. I'm sure that most people on here who have been able to go out have met people and had a chat.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52587293

Seen this morning that league 1 and 2 very unlikely to finish (surprise surprise), clubs will have a meeting to discuss promotion and relegation, talk of a points per game and more points for away win etc to decide promotion and relegation, and that some teams will feel hard done by. Now am I missing the point or just being thick or both?.. the season wasn't completed its void, the season is defunct, caput, surely that means there is no promotion and relegation, f**k me it's not rocket science! Why do these football people make everything so bloody complicated, season never finished all records will be scrapped and we start a fresh new season hopefully in coming months....now it's not that hard is it?

2 hours ago, Boyne said:

I'm surprised that the BBC has allowed non-Liverpool players to be in the team. As others have mentioned, it makes sense that so many Liverpool players are in the team and also as others have commented: Fernandes? @Stretford EnderAs a Man Utd fan, do you think he warrants a place in the team given he's only played a handful of games?

Just seen this on the BBC website. Kyle Walker feels harassed for visiting his sister and hugging her and then going to his parents to pick up home-cooked meals. He states that he is concerned about his mental health. The state of people's mental health is a concern at the moment and not being able to see family and friends must be difficult for nearly everyone. I'm sure that we would all like to visit friends and family but we have to discipline ourselves. I know it's not seeing the same as seeing someone face to face and hugging them but we are fortunate that we have technology to allow us some form of contact. Also, when I've been out for a walk I've met people I know and we've stopped for a chat and practising social distancing. I'm sure that most people on here who have been able to go out have met people and had a chat.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52587293

Not really. He's done exceptionally well since his arrival and has galvanized the team, but that just highlights how poor we were beforehand.

3 hours ago, Stretford Ender said:

Not really. He's done exceptionally well since his arrival and has galvanized the team, but that just highlights how poor we were beforehand.

He has been very good. It probably says more about the overall mediocrity of the Premier League this season than anything. I would probably go with Maddison of Leicester or perhaps even give a nod to one of the Sheffield United players in that spot.