City Beautiful SC

Please Educate this New American Chelsea fan!

As an American in Orlando who only adopted Chelsea as my English side this year,  I don't have much Blues education. So I am asking all of you esteemed colleagues, if you could list, in your opinion, the most import matches historically or maybe the most important seasons or maybe the greatest players and why, I'd be immensely grateful!

Additionally, who do we hate the very very most?

7 hours ago, City Beautiful SC said:

As an American in Orlando who only adopted Chelsea as my English side this year,  I don't have much Blues education. So I am asking all of you esteemed colleagues, if you could list, in your opinion, the most import matches historically or maybe the most important seasons or maybe the greatest players and why, I'd be immensely grateful!

Some matches worth youtubing.

1970 FA Cup Final vs Leeds - when we won the FA Cup for the first time
1997 FA Cup final vs Middlesbrough - First trophy for 25 years
2003 Premier League, Chelsea vs Liverpool, final day of the season, winner qualifies for Champions League. We were then bought by Abramovic afterwards. 
2005 Premier League, Chelsea vs Bolton, when we won the Premier League, first league title for 50 years
2008 Champions League Final vs Man United. The JT slip and we lost
2009 Champions League Semi Final vs Barca. The horrible ref performance that hurts to this day
2012 Champions League Semi Final vs Barca. The revenge and qualifying for the final
2012 Champions League Final vs Bayern. Drogba header to equalise and penalty to win it. 
2016 Premier League vs Tottenham, the battle of the bridge

If you watch these games you'll pick up on the most important players and who we hate the most.

1970 FA Cup Final vs Leeds - when we won the FA Cup for the first time -

Just watched this one. Wow, no penalties, replay of the game, playing on what looks like a cow pasture, and keepers playing without gloves? Half of each side would have been sent off these days for those challenges. A time when little b*tches weren't tolerated. Outstanding.

1997 FA Cup final vs Middlesbrough - First trophy for 25 years
2003 Premier League, Chelsea vs Liverpool, final day of the season, winner qualifies for Champions League. We were then bought by Abramovic afterwards. 
2005 Premier League, Chelsea vs Bolton, when we won the Premier League, first league title for 50 years
2008 Champions League Final vs Man United. The JT slip and we lost
2009 Champions League Semi Final vs Barca. The horrible ref performance that hurts to this day
2012 Champions League Semi Final vs Barca. The revenge and qualifying for the final
2012 Champions League Final vs Bayern. Drogba header to equalise and penalty to win it. 
2016 Premier League vs Tottenham, the battle of the bridge

On 19/05/2020 at 03:46, City Beautiful SC said:

Probably consensus would be Tottenham.

Liverpool is a more modern rivalry that sprang up around 2003-2010, mainly due to Mourinho and Benitez as managers.

In europe, Barcelona are our biggest rivalries, again because a lot of our big games in europe have been against them, not least the 2009 semi final listed above as a key match to watch. Watch that and you'll see the rivalry!

The usual suspects also apply for local rivals; West Ham, QPR, Milwall. Fulham should be but I don't think we are half as arsed about it as they are, they're a bit too small to matter.

Man United, Arsenal and Man City are rivals mainly because of their successes over the years.

I think that about covers it...?

2 hours ago, bisright1 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52416192

This makes an interesting read related to this game 

That's a great read, thank you! I was sitting there telling my wife, how is that not a red card? How is that not at least a yellow? I'm glad I wasn't seeing things. I was looking to see a fight and a football game broke out.

6 minutes ago, dkw said:

The 2006 win at home to West Ham has always felt like a game that summed us up as a club. 1-0 down, man sent off and we just fought and scrapped and end up battering them 4-1.

I'll add it to the list!

Posted (edited)

I'll give my take on the rivalry,

• Millwall from the 70s when working class fans of each club teamed up to fight a third club Charlton, yet some Chelsea fans turned on the Millwall fans as they did not know the pre-fight arrangements and the violent rivalry has continued until the last time we met in 1995. Most fans except the most optimistic would probably expect violence next time we are drawn together which is likely to be a cup match as they are no longer in the top league. 
  • Leeds also from the 70's as we won the FA Cup when they were seen as the best club in the land. 
  • QPR and Fulham are local clubs that only seem to hate us out of jealously rather than anything else.
  • Manchester Utd and Liverpool to an extent as previously mentioned due to Chelsea taking on the big clubs and challenging them yet with Utd we also had one of the best records at their ground in the days before Abramovich took over the club.
  • West Ham, London rivals with a violent history yet these days always seen as relegation candidates.
  •  Arsenal was a big London rivalry due to they were successful for a long time yet since beating them finally in early 2000s we normally win and unlike Spurs they do not seem to take it too badly.
  • Spurs (Tottenham Hotpsur) were looking to be the next big club and London rivals to hit the big time and apart from us always beating them were threatening to do quite well so when we started winning the leagues and cups 2004+ we put them back in the shadow and one particular season when they had qualified for the Champions league it was rescinded because we won the Champions league trophy in 2012. The matches now are normally nasty hard fought affairs. A sizeable group of their fans genuinely hate ours too.
  • Barcelona rivalry comes from a certain period when Mourinho was manager and we appeared to get treated poorly by the officials in the Champions league matches and Mourinho had previous bad blood with that club.

Edited by Strider6003

4 hours ago, dkw said:

The 2006 win at home to West Ham has always felt like a game that summed us up as a club. 1-0 down, man sent off and we just fought and scrapped and end up battering them 4-1.

I remember that game. I had to rely on Teletext to keep up with what was going on at the time. After Maniche was sent off, there was a mistake a couple of minutes later and it said Lampard had been sent off too. I had to find a radio to find out what was going on. By the time I was able to listen to the game, we were winning and I found out Lampard was still on the pitch.

14 minutes ago, nominator said:

We hate Rottenham and a few others and we like our Blues Brothers from Glasgow.

Internationally we don´t like at all Barca & Bayern Munich (and of course Celtic).

Thanks for the reply and the Rangers comment is awesome. I did not know that. My wife and I are supposed to be going to Scotland in November and the layovers in Gatwick don't look to afford enough time to visit Stamford Bridge for a picture but I could certainly hit maybe the next best thing in Glasgow that week if all this pandemic idiocy can get under control. Also, any advice on how much time it would take to be feasible to make it to the Stamford Bridge for an hour and then back from that airport is not unwelcome!

3 hours ago, nominator said:

Internationally we don´t like at all Barca & Bayern Munich (and of course Celtic).

I was tempted to add Celtic yet don't know if that is still relevant certainly was in the 90's. 

On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 03:46, City Beautiful SC said:

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2018/01/01/dochertys-diamonds-the-innovative-chelsea-side-that-lit-up-the-early-1960s/

Docherty’s Diamonds: the innovative Chelsea side that lit up the early 1960s

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2018/12/14/the-emperors-of-athens-how-chelsea-won-the-cup-winners-cup-in-1971/

The emperors of Athens: how Chelsea won the Cup Winners’ Cup in 1971

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2017/09/26/cry-havok-and-let-slip-the-dogs-of-war-the-1970-fa-cup-final/

Cry ‘Havok!’ and let slip the dogs of war: the brutal 1970 FA Cup final

Three decent historical articles about us . From mid 1960- early 1970s.

A decent site for articles.

3 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

I remember that game. I had to rely on Teletext to keep up with what was going on at the time. After Maniche was sent off, there was a mistake a couple of minutes later and it said Lampard had been sent off too. I had to find a radio to find out what was going on. By the time I was able to listen to the game, we were winning and I found out Lampard was still on the pitch.

I used to like teletext too, great for keeping up with the results when you couldn't go and also good for the news, not sugar coated like our normal fare, much more interesting news items.

1 hour ago, nominator said:

Don´t know how it is today, but for me as an old man it´s still Celtic that I hate.

Used to notice that whenever Utd or Liverpool came to the Bridge someone would have the Irish tricolour and the chants of 'No Surrender', would start up.

I think that crowd used to drink in the Black Rose near the club I can remember being with a few mates and joining in on the Blue Army song, it went ballistic and was one of the best pre-match atmospheres I have experienced. The manager came over at one point as he thought the balustrading was going to collapse.  The shame is I can't even remember what match it was though remember jogging to the game as we were running late.

4 hours ago, nominator said:

Although many of us don't give a stuff about Rangers or Celtic!  😀

1 hour ago, Strider6003 said:

I used to like teletext too, great for keeping up with the results when you couldn't go and also good for the news, not sugar coated like our normal fare, much more interesting news items.

I remember many times standing transfixed in front of the TV waiting for the magical "FT" to appear next to a scoreline or the score to change!

Just now, Beerqueen said:

I remember many times standing transfixed in front of the TV waiting for the magical "FT" to appear next to a scoreline or the score to change!

I recall that too, it could be an uncomfortable few minutes.

1 minute ago, Beerqueen said:

Although many of us don't give a stuff about Rangers or Celtic!  😀

I was following the Rangers over land and sea - and there were Chels among them always and we had lots of fun and a very good time. But I suppose, I´m a bit older than you, right?

Just now, nominator said:

I was following the Rangers over land and sea - and there were Chels among them always and we had lots of fun and a very good time. But I suppose, I´m a bit older than you, right?

I'm not sure, I'm pretty old but if an earlier post was right and it was mainly in the 90s, that was when I moved from London and had three young kids so everything was a bit of a haze.  Tbh I couldn't care less about Scottish football, it just has no significance to me, just as I don't really favour any French or Belgian teams - it just doesn't matter to me.  I do of course know that it's Rangers rather than Celtic as far as Chelsea fans go but like I say to me it's irrelevant.  I don't mean of course that that's what everyone thinks, just saying that it's not all Chelsea fans that care.