Timo Werner

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

He has done well at the start of his career here but I have seen how he played before he came so I'm sure of one thing and that is that he's a much better finisher than what he has shown so far.

Even in Bundesliga he took a lot of shots and wasn't that clinical despite scoring many goals but make no mistake he's a much better finisher in those 1v1 situations than what he has shown so far.

Any other player after such a poor display would be putting his head down and would sink away but Werner kept working hard throughout the whole game, I think this is why Lampard just keeps playing him everywhere because Werner is just constantly dangerous and if the tactic is such that we can counter-attack or organize an attack fast his pace will be deadly.

I can't say I don't like the atmosphere and confidence people have on here, it's good to see. But I can't watch those sitters and not be concerned, it's because there have been so many in such a short sample of games. 

It seems to be a striker curse at Chelsea, we have a habit of signing forwards, particularly marquee signings who just can't finish their dinner. 

37 minutes ago, Slojo said:

I can't say I don't like the atmosphere and confidence people have on here, it's good to see. But I can't watch those sitters and not be concerned, it's because there have been so many in such a short sample of games. 

It seems to be a striker curse at Chelsea, we have a habit of signing forwards, particularly marquee signings who just can't finish their dinner. 

Werner has always been a player who misses chances but was always deadly due to his pace and positioning. 

My real concern is the fact he’s not absolutely leathering a finish as he has done for years. I loved his power finishes and even remarked he reminded me of Jimmy’s old no nonsense type of finishing. For some reason he doesn’t seem to do that here. 

1 minute ago, coco said:

Trouble is when you keep missing, it rather pisses off your team mates and fans and have a negative affect.

Whilst I agree, the players will appreciate the sheer amount of work he puts in. If he was a lazy striker missing everything it would have a far more concerning critique. 

Loan him out in January of he keeps missing.

Reminds me of  Pulisic situation " why are we buying him" "He's poor man Sancho" " Only buying him for his passport " blah blah blah.

Support the guy encourage him don't get on his back new league new team weird season global pandemic...ffs

Is it too soon to start getting worried about Werner?

I know he's a quality finisher, and he's making the runs and getting the chances, he just isn't able to finish anything. But it seems like something that he will start doing sooner rather than later and I'd be more concerned if he hasn't even been getting any chances or just flopping to the floor at every chance like Morata

21 hours ago, Slojo said:

I agree but he is still making good runs and linking up well... Its literally just his finishing thats an issue at the moment, but the rest of his all round game seems very good from what ive seen. And bearing in mind this is him playing as a winger and not centrally.

I haven't seen him fall over once when getting a goal scoring chance same can't be said for Morata or even Tammy....

If he wasn't getting the chances I would be concern fact he's getting into those position shows he is a goal scorer and has good football brain 

4 minutes ago, driller97 said:

I agree but he is still making good runs and linking up well... Its literally just his finishing thats an issue at the moment, but the rest of his all round game seems very good from what ive seen. And bearing in mind this is him playing as a winger and not centrally.

I agree, but Morata also had the same issue, Morata's movement was actually really good, got in the right areas and positions then just couldn't score. 

Not the same situation though, because Morata's attitude was piss poor, he even blamed the fans for his performances. Werner on the other hand, despite missing 3 good chances, one that would murder any strikers confidence, he still did that in the 92nd minute. Similar to what he did in the Newcastle game, just bursted through their defence. 

10 minutes ago, Brutos said:

" why are we buying him" "He's poor man Sancho" " Only buying him for his passport " blah blah blah.

I've not seen anyone post anything like that, complete strawman. 

A few people are just concerned with his finishing which is a legitimate argument/concern. Nobody is going over the top with it. 

1 hour ago, Slojo said:

I've not seen anyone post anything like that, complete strawman. 

A few people are just concerned with his finishing which is a legitimate argument/concern. Nobody is going over the top with it. 

I am talking about Pulisic when he signed go back and have a look at the meltdown it was pathetic and I am starting to see similar rushed judgements now regarding Timo 

23 minutes ago, Brutos said:

I am talking about Pulisic when he signed go back and have a look at the meltdown it was pathetic and I am starting to see similar rushed judgements now regarding Timo 

Yeah I know people rushed to judgement with Pulisic and were extremely dismissive. Mainly due to the Sancho situation and all the pressure he had to be Hazards replacement. But that's nowhere near the case here, everyone is happy with Timo, they're just concerned with his finishing which is completely rational in my book. 

We're talking about him as a striker right now, but he's rarely played striker for us. His ability to play wide has been absolutely crucial for us with the injuries. 

I've been hoping he'd get a rest, but every time it seems we can, someone else goes down. Including Ziyech and CHO this week. 

His work rate has been off the charts. His pressing and defensive contributions have been Mount-like, he's creating a ton of chances, he's leading the team in G/A in the league and 2nd behind Giroud in Champions League, despite bouncing around the wings. 

If this is as bad as it gets,  I'm thrilled. 

We wouldn't be where we are without him, that's a promise.