Timo Werner

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

3 hours ago, coco said:

it wasn't long ago everyone wanted Jorginho out, Rudiger out, Alonso out........

I wouldn't sell Werner unless it is part of a deal for another player that we really want. His finishing may be awful but now that we have Lukaku I'd like to see Werner get a chance for other elements of his game e.g. creating opportunities for other players.

After the game against Juventus, I've been thinking - what do we need to do in order to have Timo, Lukaku, Mount and Havertz all in the same starting squad. Maybe move to 4 in the back and have Mount playing on the right and Timo on the left side with Kai behind them? Or if we were to stick with 3 in the back, we will need to drop either Kova or Jorghi and replace them with someone!? 

If the last 2 games are any indication, is that our playstyle might be getting figured out and Tommy will need to come up with something different to surprise the opposition. I am just thinking if there is a way for us to play a game with all of that attacking power on the pitch at the same time. 

2 hours ago, Hensi said:

After the game against Juventus, I've been thinking - what do we need to do in order to have Timo, Lukaku, Mount and Havertz all in the same starting squad. Maybe move to 4 in the back and have Mount playing on the right and Timo on the left side with Kai behind them? Or if we were to stick with 3 in the back, we will need to drop either Kova or Jorghi and replace them with someone!? 

If the last 2 games are any indication, is that our playstyle might be getting figured out and Tommy will need to come up with something different to surprise the opposition. I am just thinking if there is a way for us to play a game with all of that attacking power on the pitch at the same time. 

If we played 4231 we could accommodate them:

James Silva Rudiger Chilly

Kova/Kante Jorgi/RLC/Saul

Mount/Puli Kai Timo/CHO

Lukaku

We'd provide cover to the defenders, though I'd rather play a more standard DM than Jorginho, and we'd get more players into the attacking line.

If Werner leaves after 2 seasons I will be very disappointed. If its because of lack of game time I'll be even more disappointed because at least when he plays we actually look more entertaining through the chances that inevitably arise from having raw pace and a player to run in behind. Sarri would have loved to work with him and I can imagine so would Conte and Jose.

Look at Bayern under Nagelsmann they look rampant and he wants Timo and you can only imagine not only would he be able to get the best out of him, he'll make him look world class and we'll be wondering why this keeps happening to us regarding top talents that don't work out regularly enough.

For how all our attackers (not inc Lukaku) have been performing so far this season there's no reason Timo should be benched. Whilst others are given continous opportunities to be played into form when he isn't seems strange. 

We can't even use the argument we've played against opponents that only park the bus Arsenal, Spurs were open games and so was Villa in the league.

Edit: Flick also wanted to work with him and despite his 1 big miss in the international break he still scored 3 goals in 3 games. 

Edited by LongtimerLurker

18 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Some are claiming he is already considering it:

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/chelsea-fc-transfer-rumours-news/2021/9/30/22702547/timo-werner-likely-to-consider-move-away-from-chelsea-if-struggles-persist-report

Could Werner do a Salah if he left us? Many of us felt he was useless here, now look at him lol...

Nope. With Salah we simply can't play him in his best role and with werner we did try and it wasn't good enough. 

Werner has not been good enough at finishing - but he was the striker that led our line when we won the European cup.

Giroud has not been not Frances best goalscorer - but they play him because of what he gives to the team.

Werner up front is for the greater good....I would be looking to give him a run alongside Lukaku.

Was very good today, was playing as a legitimate Right winger today, but i didn't see much of Timo paying off lukaku, he was being played in by midfielders mostly, Tuchel needs to get lukaku playing like a forward with Timo and his pace exploiting the gaps, not seen any evidence of that yet, but Timo needs to play, he adds so much offensively as a runner and finisher...

He was superb today.  Should have scored more, and unlucky to have one ruled out.  He kept going though, and works the channels so well.  It is no coincidence the number of goal involvements he has - surely the most post Hazard?

So pleased for him.  What I like the most is when he scores now he celebrates with passion.  Last season he was somewhat sheepish when he scored - the reaction to goals tells me his head is in a good place.  He'll get plenty of goals if he keeps playing.

I think there's this really lazy narrative that much-heralded strikers flop at Chelsea. To be fair, it is kind of true- I remember as a kid being devastated that Casiraghi was crocked immediately and then we bought Chris Sutton in the season after... then you've got Mutu, Kezman, Sheva, Morata, others. Wouldn't have won the EPL in 2006 without Crespo though, or the 2012 UCL without Torres. 

Having said that, I don't think any of the aforementioned "flops" have been as loved by the Bridge as Timo has. I think its because- unlike any of those players- he puts everything into it and seems to love playing for the Chels. Hope he presses on from here.

1 hour ago, Jamieblue said:

I think there's this really lazy narrative that much-heralded strikers flop at Chelsea. To be fair, it is kind of true- I remember as a kid being devastated that Casiraghi was crocked immediately and then we bought Chris Sutton in the season after... then you've got Mutu, Kezman, Sheva, Morata, others. Wouldn't have won the EPL in 2006 without Crespo though, or the 2012 UCL without Torres. 

Having said that, I don't think any of the aforementioned "flops" have been as loved by the Bridge as Timo has. I think its because- unlike any of those players- he puts everything into it and seems to love playing for the Chels. Hope he presses on from here.

I was gutted when Mutu fell foul of the 'Party powder', he looked a real player, which he was....

7 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

I just think we're a much better team when he plays. 

Agreed, and how poor Kai and Ziyech have been has only shown that more.

With them we are too slow, too ponderous.

CHO should have taken his chance but the pace with him, Timo and RLC actually driving forward made a difference today.