2 hours ago, coco said:

That sounds like your trying to blame Abraham. I really hope Werner is smart, but he's not shown us yet, we had a few occasions against Palace where he should of been on the end of balls into the box, but he was all over the place and not where he should of been. One occasion CHO delivered a cross from the right wing just over Abrahams head, but right into the path of where Werner should of been, plenty of space at the back door, but he was AWOL. 

I'm not blaming Tammy at all. A big issue last season was that too many players are occupying the same space.

The thing is I'm not sure why Timo is everywhere but the end of chances. It's been the same for 3+ games which could mean that it's a tactical instruction? Who knows but Frank could at least try it for a game or two

3 hours ago, Andy North said:

He needs to be given the chance but Frank has to make quick decisions at the moment. It is really important at this stage of the season that we get a settled team in place and get some points on the board. Frank can't afford to be experimenting with anybody for too long. I think Tammy's hold and link up play is better than Timo's and Frank needs somebody in the box who will finish. I don't see Timo as that player at the moment. I'd be happy for him to prove me wrong. 

I think Timo will be competing with Pulisic for a place and not Tammy. 

I disagree. Maybe I'm wrong but at the moment Tammy is more of a nuisance physically because he knows the league. We have never had Timo played as a proper No. 9 with a settled cast, so we'll see.

If Timo is competing with Pulisic then Timo will be benched for sure. Pulisic is miles better than him as a winger

33 minutes ago, Deino said:

I disagree. Maybe I'm wrong but at the moment Tammy is more of a nuisance physically because he knows the league. We have never had Timo played as a proper No. 9 with a settled cast, so we'll see.

If Timo is competing with Pulisic then Timo will be benched for sure. Pulisic is miles better than him as a winger

Totally agree.

Not sure how Tammy is being a nuisance because he knows the league. 

Timo needs to settle in but he has to do it quickly if he's to find his way into the starting 11. Out of the new starters he hasn't shown enough to nail down a place. I know Silve F*cked up Royally against WBA but it was a one off and he has looking very composed and authoritative  since. Mendy looks OK. I can see Havertz makes a difference and Chilwell has hit the ground running. 

Timo is looking a bit lost in some matches. He's not seeing enough of the ball which leads me to think our style of play isn't suiting him or he is being played out of position. I like an old fashioned centre forward who is big and scores with his feet and his head. There's every chance the likes of Chilwell and Ziyech will be firing in high balls and I can't see him challenging the huge centre backs in the PL.

I could easily be wrong and its very early in the season but I haven't seen enough just yet.

There’s no way TW sits on the bench when Pulisic comes back. 

Isn’t one of the downsides of playing 4-2-3-1 that your wide players end up doing more defensive work covering the full backs? That coupled with our somewhat slow buildup play has seen Werner dropping deeper and wider for the ball. 

When Ziyech & Pulisic are back in he can just concentrate on being in and around the box.

I am also slightly worried by the fact he always played with another striker for Leipzig and for Germany generally doesn’t look as effective on the eye when playing as a lone striker. His stats aren’t exactly bad for Germany though.

RE @Andy North Liverpool, City & Leicester all play with a small striker and do fine. It’s clearly not essential you just need players good enough to put it to your striker’s feet. Also KH can get on the end of headers.

1 hour ago, rtwelch said:

There’s no way TW sits on the bench when Pulisic comes back. 

Isn’t one of the downsides of playing 4-2-3-1 that your wide players end up doing more defensive work covering the full backs? That coupled with our somewhat slow buildup play has seen Werner dropping deeper and wider for the ball. 

When Ziyech & Pulisic are back in he can just concentrate on being in and around the box.

I am also slightly worried by the fact he always played with another striker for Leipzig and for Germany generally doesn’t look as effective on the eye when playing as a lone striker. His stats aren’t exactly bad for Germany though.

RE @Andy North Liverpool, City & Leicester all play with a small striker and do fine. It’s clearly not essential you just need players good enough to put it to your striker’s feet. Also KH can get on the end of headers.

You may well be right but just now I haven't seen how TW fits in the team successfully. He's been played wide and hasn't got behind. He's been dropping deep and not getting the ball. I just see him running around without any creativity. Both Sala and Vardy seem to get the ball in behind and get to use their pace. We haven't been able to do this successfully so far. 

Maybe Silva and Jorginho can put in the odd quick long pass or the midfield can sell some dummies or something but its not happening while Tammy is in the middle and TW is out wide. 

Over all I don't think its too much of an issue as its defense that has been our problem.  If we continue to score at the current rate we will be fine. 

7 minutes ago, Andy North said:

You may well be right but just now I haven't seen how TW fits in the team successfully. He's been played wide and hasn't got behind. He's been dropping deep and not getting the ball. I just see him running around without any creativity. Both Sala and Vardy seem to get the ball in behind and get to use their pace. We haven't been able to do this successfully so far. 

Maybe Silva and Jorginho can put in the odd quick long pass or the midfield can sell some dummies or something but its not happening while Tammy is in the middle and TW is out wide. 

Over all I don't think its too much of an issue as its defense that has been our problem.  If we continue to score at the current rate we will be fine. 

I'd like to see him make more movements to the edge of the box for cutbacks - especially if he's playing LW. His goal against Spurs being the prime example. I keep seeing a lot of space there ready to be exploited.

On another note, I have a feeling we will be able to overload the box especially when we attack from the right with Ziyech and we can have Pulisic & Werner attacking at the back post and Havertz making runs into the centre of the box. It's a mouth watering proposition.

1 hour ago, cRyptic said:

“I don’t know if we have a defense problem, but we have conceded 6 in 2 matches, in Germany we say defense wins you the championships.“

I'm glad a player has finally mentioned it. This guy's mentality is a breath of fresh air, I hope he leads us to many titles.

How dare he speaks the truth.

It's not just in Germany or soccer, it's every where. Defense wins championships.

Italy won WC on defense

Greece won Euro on defense

Liverpool won on Defense - although they do have a heck of a strike force

NFL - Baltimore won on Defense

5 hours ago, cRyptic said:

“I don’t know if we have a defense problem, but we have conceded 6 in 2 matches, in Germany we say defense wins you the championships.“

I'm glad a player has finally mentioned it. This guy's mentality is a breath of fresh air, I hope he leads us to many titles.

Ouch 

4 hours ago, haviet1 said:

How dare he speaks the truth.

It's not just in Germany or soccer, it's every where. Defense wins championships.

Italy won WC on defense

Greece won Euro on defense

Liverpool won on Defense - although they do have a heck of a strike force

NFL - Baltimore won on Defense

Well said.

12 hours ago, cRyptic said:

There's something about his voice that I really like. Both calm and determined way of speaking. 

Edited by bisright1
17 hours ago, cRyptic said:

I love it. The guy has character and the skills. Scored 2 beautiful goals basically by himself. Ran his socks off

After so many years, we finally have a brilliant offense

Can't wait to see ziyech havertz/mount pulisic with Werner as striker. All are able to score from out side the box as well. Werner need to shoot more from first time rather than take some touches. 

Don't know if it's because he's living off scraps that when the chance comes to attack he fluffs it, that's been the way he's been playing in the last 2 matches.

Big contrast to Costa who waited for that one half chance and made it happen by grabbing the bull by its horns. If we're going to continue to feel our way through this period of trying to tie being defensive and attacking together then maybe he should sit it out because these games are more suited for Giroud.

Feel like he's running out of gas after the Southampton game. He's been playing 3 games a week in a row for few weeks now. The striker rotation has to come in next week. He's got speed, but seems to be a bit lost when there's no space to run into, and his first touch hasn't always been the best in those tight games.

I don't know what happened with his agility and quickness but the guy seems to have big time suffering when 1 on 1 with anybody. I hope he is just tired but right now he looks terrible with the ball going at defenders. 

I do think he needs a rest. His workrate is absolutely ridiculous though and he doesn’t stop pressing defenders. You notice it more when he is replaced by Tammy who does absolutely no pressing and we start to invite a lot of pressure on. Werner’s defending from the front is such a unique quality to have. 

I’m really concerned about the lack of service he’s getting though. We need Kovacic instead of Kante to open up doors for Havertz, Pulisic and Ziyech to create. 

7 hours ago, sonic90 said:

Don't know if it's because he's living off scraps that when the chance comes to attack he fluffs it, that's been the way he's been playing in the last 2 matches.

Big contrast to Costa who waited for that one half chance and made it happen by grabbing the bull by its horns. If we're going to continue to feel our way through this period of trying to tie being defensive and attacking together then maybe he should sit it out because these games are more suited for Giroud.

Common you would actually bench Werner for Giroud when we aren’t really creating much?