7 minutes ago, ducavis said:

Common you would actually bench Werner for Giroud when we aren’t really creating much?

Only because we are more defense focused at the moment, we need an outlet to a target man who can hold it up so we have a bit more time to transition. If not a starter he should definitely play when teams are thinking of holding what they have against us.

Although a top class player like Timo can always turn it on whenever, he could very well prove me wrong in the next match.

I think him or havertz have to be on penalties. Its nothing to do with Jorginho, his record is actually exceptional. But how will these players breed confidence if our defensive mid is taking them. Havertz could of had about 8 goals and 5 assists by now in all comps, and all of a sudden his confidence and the aura surrounds him change. Instead of media outlets jumping on his back and saying hes not doing enough. Same with werner. Both of them have great records from the spot as well. 

21 minutes ago, Oli said:

I think him or havertz have to be on penalties. Its nothing to do with Jorginho, his record is actually exceptional. But how will these players breed confidence if our defensive mid is taking them. Havertz could of had about 8 goals and 5 assists by now in all comps, and all of a sudden his confidence and the aura surrounds him change. Instead of media outlets jumping on his back and saying hes not doing enough. Same with werner. Both of them have great records from the spot as well. 

It's a better argument than some in the match day threads have who seem to want Jorginho off penalties simply because he does the skip and they think smash ball hard is the best penalty technique (even saw someone saying "yeah I'm sure someone will come in with their facts telling me I am wrong but..."

However I do find it strange that a player would take confidence from scoring a penalty. Personally I think any penalty goal should be stricken from all records or the player who last touched the ball should be the one who takes the penalty. 

Edited by bisright1

35 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

It's a better argument than some in the match day threads have who seem to want Jorginho off penalties simply because he does the skip and they think smash ball hard is the best penalty technique (even saw someone saying "yeah I'm sure someone will come in with their facts telling me I am wrong but..."

However I do find it strange that a player would take confidence from scoring a penalty. Personally I think any penalty goal should be stricken from all records or the player who last touched the ball should be the one who takes the penalty. 

I think I read that Jorginho has scored 23 out of his 26 penalties with us, so no one can say that is anything but exceptional. 

And its not so much the confidence of scoring a penalty, but the confidence that having your stats padded provides. Look at Bruno Fernandes, guy has scored like 18 penalties, and they treat him like the second coming of Ronaldo over there. You take that away and suddenly the criticism starts, oh he disappears in and out of games, he isn't doing enough etc. But because of the amount of goals, he has that confidence within him now that he takes into games. 

That's why I feel its important our players like Werner and Havertz, players who have come for big price tags and big reputations, take our penalties. Not only will it make them feel better within themselves, but it also takes away some of the outside pressures and criticisms, that are already being levelled at them. If Werner lets say  scores 25 League Goals instead of 15, no one really remembers that, they just remember he had a fantastic season rather than a decent one. And lets not forget this isn't unprofessional or charity either, both of them have near perfect penalty records, especially Havertz who is on 100% conversion, after like 15 penalties. 

Just when it seemed like he was growing frustrated with the game he scored a brilliant goal. 

He's had a solid, not spectacular, start to the season but he's working hard for the team and has a respectable goal return so far considering he's probably played wide left more than through the middle so far. 

I have concerns about his first touch, general control of the ball and passing. 

Can’t argue with the pace he has or his finish today though. 

I get the feeling that against teams that will sit deep, then he may be better utilised wide (or in a 2 up top situation). Interesting to see how he develops....

He has always been a volume shooter rather than clinical. His touch in a few moments today was poor and yet when Ziyech played that pass in, his touch to control and then shoot were excellent.

The bizarre thing is I don't think he has had a really top game yet and he still has 6 goals and 2 assists in 10 games. 

I wouldn't underestimate the space he makes for the midfield either. Teams are worried about his pace so drop off meaning we sometimes have a pocket to play in behind the midfield line. 

11 hours ago, Gol15 said:

He shouldn't be playing out wide, he gets into chances more often as the striker. But he puts out so much work that he's quality on that left side where he usually roams around even as the striker. We have so much attacking power now, imagine when Pulisic and Kai come back...

season 3 fire GIF by Black Sails

I'd say he's more of an inside forward though. Certainly not playing as a traditional LW in any case.

Yesterday he could, and maybe even should have had a hat-trick with more clinical finishing. We'll see how it all develops when/if Pulisic regains fitness but for now i'd say we move forward with Tammy down the middle and Werner to the left of him.

6 hours ago, PhilH930 said:

Is that 8 in all comps now? Can easily see him passing 20 goals in all comps if he stays healthy and remains on pens. Would prefer that be 20+ in the PL plus other comps on top. He’s a goal scorer - plain and simple. 

I would hope he gets 20+ in all comps. That should be an absolute minimum expectation for him. I expect him to be at 25-30.