5 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

His next chance he’s going to smash in the bottom corner and we’ll all look back on this in a few years saying ‘remember when we all thought Timo is sh*te and now he’s overtaken Frank for goals’. Or something. 

IN A FEW YEARS??? FRANK?? GOALS??? Doubt even prime Ronaldo could do that. 

1 hour ago, jack_super_class said:

Im still not worried, its just a shame that Ziyech, CHO are now injured that he still cant play centre forward. Im only going to really start judging him when he plays centre forward, thats mainly why we bought him. 

With how well Giroud has been playing can you honestly say that you would start Timo over Giroud at this point?  

7 hours ago, jack_super_class said:

................ when he plays centre forward, thats mainly why we bought him. 

What makes you think that he will ever play as a traditional centre forward ? Was he bought to mainly be a centre forward ? Dunno about that ?

I think some of us are fixated on an assumed Pulisic/Werner/Ziyech starting front three that was talked about at the start of the season, but I think that combination, not unreasonably, only ever existed in our imaginations - especially mine - and maybe never in FL’s ? 

Why wouldn’t Timo continue to play alongside Giroud in an outside right role, with Pulisic as his opposite on the left - seems to me that that system works well and I think FL does too, which is why he continues to pick OG,  or previously TA, to start in that central role.

Werner has played in the outside right position with mixed results, but you can’t deny the amount of scoring opportunities he has had (and missed!), whilst Giroud has had great success on the scoring front in these past couple of games and look at the assist on Saturday for Pulisic’s goal - his run and cross was exciting and sensational to watch .

I like the Pulisic/Giroud/Werner combination, I’d stick with it  - the worry is that Tammy isn’t convincing in the Giroud role - that needs fixed -  Tammy has to improve or another CF is brought in, cause Giroud, at 34, won’t be around for too much longer ?

Only my opinion of course.

Edited by Paddy
10 hours ago, Paddy said:

What makes you think that he will ever play as a traditional centre forward ? Was he bought to mainly be a centre forward ? Dunno about that ?

I think some of us are fixated on an assumed Pulisic/Werner/Ziyech starting front three that was talked about at the start of the season, but I think that combination, not unreasonably, only ever existed in our imaginations - especially mine - and maybe never in FL’s ? 

Why wouldn’t Timo continue to play alongside Giroud in an outside right role, with Pulisic as his opposite on the left - seems to me that that system works well and I think FL does too, which is why he continues to pick OG,  or previously TA, to start in that central role.

Werner has played in the outside right position with mixed results, but you can’t deny the amount of scoring opportunities he has had (and missed!), whilst Giroud has had great success on the scoring front in these past couple of games and look at the assist on Saturday for Pulisic’s goal - his run and cross was exciting and sensational to watch .

I like the Pulisic/Giroud/Werner combination, I’d stick with it  - the worry is that Tammy isn’t convincing in the Giroud role - that needs fixed -  Tammy has to improve or another CF is brought in, cause Giroud, at 34, won’t be around for too much longer ?

Agree, we have all assumed that Werner was bought to play CF. But maybe Frank viewed him as a far more versatile option than that. And I like him on the left/right to be honest, especially while countering.

I actually feel quite confident with Pulisic, Abraham and Werner as a front 3 as well. Although on current form, Giroud would be first choice.

11 hours ago, Paddy said:

I'm starting to have the same thoughts as well. Salah and prime Pedro weren't really wingers but they scored loads in that right forward role 

Werner seemed more suited to that role at the moment. 

11 hours ago, Paddy said:

Because it's not rocket science. Im pretty sure Frank didn't go into the season thinking Giroud and Abraham as the 2 centre forwards is enough to get us top four and close the gap on Liverpool. He doesn't rate Giroud as much as everyone else, thats he hardly played him last season, only towards the end of the season. At one point he even had Michy playing instead of Giroud. Giroud has also hardly played this season either, only the last 2 games and one of them he only played because we had already qualified. Plus Giroud is 34, i dont even think he will be here next season heck he might not even be here come January.

I doubt Lampard see Pulisic as a bench player, or Ziyech. Werner started the season as Centre forward, his best game of the season came playing centre forward, also plays there for Germany. The main reason he plays left wing is because Pulisic has been injured and he doesn't trust CHO 100% yet and Werner can do a decent job there. If Pulisic & Ziyech had been fit all this season i cant see Werner being on the bench. Mount has played outwide this season it doesn't mean Frank seen him as a long term player for that positon, he was just doing a job there for a few games.

I think Frank went into the season with the idea of Werner playing centre forward and Abraham as backup and Giroud as third choice. Pulisic, CHO and Ziyech as wingers and occasionally Mount and Werner to play outwide.

6 minutes ago, jack_super_class said:

Because it's not rocket science. Im pretty sure Frank didn't go into the season thinking Giroud and Abraham as the 2 centre forwards is enough to get us top four and close the gap on Liverpool. He doesn't rate Giroud as much as everyone else, thats he hardly played him last season, only towards the end of the season. At one point he even had Michy playing instead of Giroud. Giroud has also hardly played this season either, only the last 2 games and one of them he only played because we had already qualified. Plus Giroud is 34, i dont even think he will be here next season heck he might not even be here come January.

I doubt Lampard see Pulisic as a bench player, or Ziyech. Werner started the season as Centre forward, his best game of the season came playing centre forward, also plays there for Germany. The main reason he plays left wing is because Pulisic has been injured and he doesn't trust CHO 100% yet and Werner can do a decent job there. If Pulisic & Ziyech had been fit all this season i cant see Werner being on the bench. Mount has played outwide this season it doesn't mean Frank seen him as a long term player for that positon, he was just doing a job there for a few games.

I think Frank went into the season with the idea of Werner playing centre forward and Abraham as backup and Giroud as third choice. Pulisic, CHO and Ziyech as wingers and occasionally Mount and Werner to play outwide.

Regardless of how Frank started the season, same as with last season he will have learned and it won't be a one size fits all solution. Werner played a large portion of Leipzig's CL run on the left and he will continue to play a role there when it makes sense. It's not about first elevens but about having options and flexibility for particular games.

I think it's nice to see Giroud playing a role again because he is an important part of the mix against certain opponents. I think that Giroud and Werner could yet be a very powerful combination.

So far it has worked with Timo on the wing and that should be unchanged. Giroud and Abraham will certainly rotate in the following games. The goals from Timo will come soon for sure, he is a proven world class striker. Also never seems to let his confidence drop after he misses a chance and with all these creativity we have in midfield he'll keep getting plenty of them.

In every aspect of the game except the finishing he's been outstanding. Can't believe people are being serious when comparing him with Morata already...

Edited by wizardous
1 hour ago, wizardous said:

So far it has worked with Timo on the wing and that should be unchanged. Giroud and Abraham will certainly rotate in the following games. The goals from Timo will come soon for sure, he is a proven world class striker. Also never seems to let his confidence drop after he misses a chance and with all these creativity we have in midfield he'll keep getting plenty of them.

In every aspect of the game except the finishing he's been outstanding. Can't believe people are being serious when comparing him with Morata already...

Not sure about proven world class striker ? but ‘missing’ is part of who he is at the moment, the significant thing for me is that he so often gets himself into a position to attempt to score even though he is not playing in a central striker position, so I agree with you, leave him at outside centre and let Giroud provide that traditional centre forward role and between them they will score goals.

My big big worry is Tammy, he always gives a 100% , but there is something missing, timing, anticipation, application - at times he is awkward  ??

Dunno if there is much coming through, Borja ?? Suppose we’ll have to see how his loan goes, but It’s a big step up - Frank may need to get Roman’s cheque book out, Giroud’s surely only got this season and maybe next left at this level ?

A few of the recent misses have been frustrated but the assists he got against Newcastle and Leeds were sublime. 

Both came late in the matches and to show that level of pace and stamina during this congested season and laying off perfectly weighted passes shows he's a quality player. 

The goals will come... Maybe he's not going to be a 20 goal player for us this year but he has 8 goal contributions (4 goals, 4 assists) in 11 league matches to date. That's a pretty impressive return for any player. 

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

Not sure about proven world class striker ? but ‘missing’ is part of who he is at the moment, the significant thing for me is that he so often gets himself into a position to attempt to score even though he is not playing in a central striker position, so I agree with you, leave him at outside centre and let Giroud provide that traditional centre forward role and between them they will score goals.

My big big worry is Tammy, he always gives a 100% , but there is something missing, timing, anticipation, application - at times he is awkward  ??

Dunno if there is much coming through, Borja ?? Suppose we’ll have to see how his loan goes, but It’s a big step up - Frank may need to get Roman’s cheque book out, Giroud’s surely only got this season and maybe next left at this level ?

If you ask me he is easily one of the top strikers in the world right now. Stats don't lie but it's not all about stats.

His movement is fantastic, just look at what he does on the pitch and how often he gets into good positions.

Last game he was sprinting in the stoppage time to deliver an assist like the game had already started...

54 minutes ago, wizardous said:

If you ask me he is easily one of the top strikers in the world right now. Stats don't lie but it's not all about stats.

His movement is fantastic, just look at what he does on the pitch and how often he gets into good positions.

Last game he was sprinting in the stoppage time to deliver an assist like the game had already started...

I don’t underestimate how hard he works, nor how fast he runs or the numerous good positions that he regularly gets himself into, I’m with you all the way on those points and you will know that I would pick him before any other to partner Giroud but he’s not world class, yet.

To be world class, IMO, you need to be outstanding in your position, you need to perform and achieve consistently at the highest level and over a sustained period of time, I don’t believe he has yet done that - hopes are high though.

Edited by Paddy
9 hours ago, Paddy said:

Broja looks a decent striker in the making though not sure if he is quick enough.

Agree on Tammy works hard just lacks a certain skill set or application or something else.

Werner is not clinical yet his work rate means he gets several chances and he is a decent passer. World class no, not yet.

10 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

Broja looks a decent striker in the making though not sure if he is quick enough.

Agree on Tammy works hard just lacks a certain skill set or application or something else.

Werner is not clinical yet his work rate means he gets several chances and he is a decent passer. World class no, not yet.

Tammy was Tammy again tonight - works his arse off undoubtedly, but no end product - missed a header that he seemed to have plenty of time and room to convert - no anticipation for the Werner cross ? 

On 08/12/2020 at 22:12, Strider6003 said:

When strikers come here they struggle, maybe its the PL, because in the Bundesliga Werner was definitely nearing World class status, only behind Lewa for goals, and the national teams first pick Striker?

As for both Werner and Havertz atm, I'll just say that Mount was awful when played out of position on the wing and the guy's been a different, better player since he came back to playing in midfield. 

I thought the club bought Werner to play as forward and score goals and he's mostly playing as winger since he came even starting there ahead the likes of CHO for example. It's evident that Werner is now very low on confidence and Frank needs to do the right thing and fast.