1 hour ago, Strider6003 said:

Don't think it would work unfortunately.

Giroud gets well marked and Werner does not react that well for me.

Giroud gets a lot of work done when he had that role for France, basically Werner would be like Griezmann cutting inside and making smart runs while Giroud would be winning the ball in the air and enabling the rest around him, it has worked in the past. Conte right now is doing a very similar thing with Lukaku + L.Martinez.

Penalty miss aside, we are not playing to his strengths, we need to play him and feed him the ball where can run into space like Vardy does for Leicester and Salah does for Liverpool' we'd rather piss around passing the ball backwards and sideways all in the name of 'possession' rather than release the ball on lower % plays.  

1 minute ago, CFCCAN said:

Penalty miss aside, we are not playing to his strengths, we need to play him and feed him the ball where can run into space like Vardy does for Leicester and Salah does for Liverpool' we'd rather piss around passing the ball backwards and sideways all in the name of 'possession' rather than release the ball on lower % plays.  

True, but on the occasions that we do, his touch is so poor he never gets a shot away anyway.

Just now, Zeta said:

True, but on the occasions that we do, his touch is so poor he never gets a shot away anyway.

Agree at this moment in time, but before this bad patch we still were not playing to his strengths. 

Just now, CFCCAN said:

Yep I have been saying this since he joined playing him on the wing was criminal and that seem to just upset his confidence. His best game for us was against Southampton which guess what he played through the middle and had early balls played to him. 
He looks disinterested now though like wtf am I doing here.

Today was the first time he started in the middle with a CF, expecting him to play mainly behind Abraham, but a lot of the time he was in front, which i thought worked pretty well in confusing the defenders and giving us our first goal, even if it was a bit lucky coming off the defenders ankle. So we should persist like this for now and give him chance to get used to this set up.

I thought he played well today but we're still not playing the ball into him when he makes a run. It was a bad penalty and he needs a lot of work to get his confidence back up. That'll start with the other players trusting him to receive the ball. He's putting a shift week in week out but he needs to improve. Hopefully starting in the week. I like the two up top. Let's stick with that.

16 minutes ago, Brutos said:

He will be back in Germany next summer on loan, probably Havertz too. Problem we have now if we don’t get CL attracting an elite striker is impossible 

We attracted him when CL football was far from a sure thing.

I'm hoping he comes good, but I think the "not playing to his strengths" is being overplayed. I'm sure we could tailor our game more specifically to each and every one of our players and see a slight improvement from them. 

Werner is getting the ball in good areas, and either his touch or decision making is letting him down. I'd say he's probably been given more opportunities than anyone else in the squad to play himself into form (people might mention Mount, but I personally think he's been our best player for a long time and that's based on form) and hasn't taken it. At this stage, I'd rather try and work Havertz into the team, who offers much more in the build up, and will also get goals if we play to his strengths. 

Edited by Hessleboink

33 minutes ago, rtwelch said:

I thought he played well today but we're still not playing the ball into him when he makes a run. It was a bad penalty and he needs a lot of work to get his confidence back up. That'll start with the other players trusting him to receive the ball. He's putting a shift week in week out but he needs to improve. Hopefully starting in the week. I like the two up top. Let's stick with that.

how was the penalty won?

Thought it was one of Werner’s better performances for us actually, he’s been a constant distraction for the opposition when Tammy comes deep to get the ball. It’s worked really well and I reckon after a few more weeks it could be very good. 

After a few games we could start seeing more of the Pulisic chance, when Timo did a great dummy.

1 hour ago, Butterhampton FC said:

The sooner we get rid of him the better. His low confidence and sh*t play has infected the entire team like Kepa with the defense last season. 

1 hour ago, cfcforeverfan said:

i think we got fooled by Liverpool and RB...we just need to ship him out asap before we lose more money

I'm guessing you lads didn't watch the game?

I don't understand the criticism of us not playing to his strengths today, our opening goal was a ball in behind to him, him winning the penalty was a ball in behind to him. I thought we mixed the play up well with Tammy coming short and Werner exploiting the space in behind and vice versa, we can't just launch the ball in behind every single time Werner makes the run in behind as that will just be throwing possession away. 

Thought Werner played well today and deserved a goal, pity the focus will be on his penalty miss rather then him working his backside off for 90 minutes.