Timo Werner

Jezz

I can't be really harsh with him for wasting that many chances since it is obvious what impact he has on the whole system and we come nearer and more fluid in front of the goal with every game and it sure is a different thing when you see a phantom like striker waste those opportunities while not doing much besides the whole time and then Werner who is constantly running, sprinting no less, and then is a bit out of breath/ power once he got into position + obivously has a bit of lack of confidence in front of the goalie right now as on top of it. As long as he's contributing as he is right now I don't see a major problem since with that work rate he is bound to score anytime soon. Did score against Liverpool, although disallowed and could have scored 1-2 more but had a bit of bad luck there imo and yesterday wasted 1-2 and was partly just unlucky that Pickford is just excellent in those 1v1 situations.

I don't think I've ever seen more wasteful striker in a top side. And yet the guy is still more productive than most - so he plays and deservedly so. Absolutely nuts...

Edited by venom2011

Anyone know where to find Mo Salah interview from either before the CL final (against Tottenham) or at the half time of that game? He talked really well about him starting to train at home scoring goals. Would love to send it to Werner via Instagram. Maybe just maybe he stumbles upon it and and it inspires him. 

Both our young strikers have a lot to work on to get anywhere near their potential. Tammy needs to improve his hold-up play and aerial ability. Werner badly needs to improve his touch and finishing.

Found it. Very very good interview. Lineker is a great interviewer. At 10mins Salah explained how he found the next level. Will send it to Timo via Instagram... Anyway if he goes to Liverpool later on and starts banging goals I am to blame 😅

6 hours ago, venom2011 said:

I don't think I've ever seen more wasteful striker in a top side. And yet the guy is still more productive than most - so he plays and deservedly so. Absolutely nuts...

He play by far the most minutes among our attacker. Purely from statistic point of view he should score the most and assist the most. 

3 hours ago, Ballack & Blu said:

Drogs wasn’t an elite Goal scorer, he was a scorer of Elite goals!

And a top quality centre half when were defending. Probably the most complete all round player we have ever had. 

21 hours ago, just said:

And a top quality centre half when were defending. Probably the most complete all round player we have ever had. 

Had a good 45 minutes playing in a double 3 (modern lingo!) with Ash! 

To be taken with a pinch of salt no doubt, but some media talk that Werner may go back to Germany this summer. I could see a chance of that happening if we truly are in for Haaland.

The odds of a swap for Timo and Haaland are slim. Also I wouldn't even be sure I'd want that deal.

Timo is by no means perfect in his finishing. He leaves much to be desired but, if he goes away after this season and practices his 1v1s. Then I'm sure we will see him transfer his skillset from the Bundesliga to the Prem..or maybe not.

However, Erling could find the prem hard to come to grips with and even struggle for us. He could also hit the ground running but I'd rather not give up on Werner after just 1 season that's not even concluded yet.

7 hours ago, forbzy said:

To be taken with a pinch of salt no doubt, but some media talk that Werner may go back to Germany this summer. I could see a chance of that happening if we truly are in for Haaland.

Edited by LongtimerLurker

On 11/03/2021 at 14:27, forbzy said:

Why would he go back to Germany?

Apart from mount he's been one of our better attacking players.Ya he's not putting the ball into the back of the net as much as he should,but his overall contribution up front has been pretty good.He's obviously a massive part of tommy's plans that's why he keeps getting games.TT is no fool.

Also think people should forget about haaland he'll end up at Man City either the end of this season or the end of next.

Terrible after he came on. Havertz was much, much better up front.

Two goals in his last 26 appearances for us now. One of those goals against Morecambe.

The club and Tuchel have some decisions to make this summer that's for sure. I don't think we can afford going into next season trusting Werner to score goals for us.

32 minutes ago, Sindre said:

Terrible after he came on. Havertz was much, much better up front.

Two goals in his last 26 appearances for us now. One of those goals against Morecambe.

The club and Tuchel have some decisions to make this summer that's for sure. I don't think we can afford going into next season trusting Werner to score goals for us.

Still think we have a problem where his best position is too. Is he better on the left, on the right, down the middle, or playing upfront with someone else or playing inside like he has been recently.

Got bored and decided to make a random table detailing Timo's stats.

Despite his misses I don't think he's a flop or performing specifically badly. Frustrating yes but, still a vital cog in our team. With 19 combined goals and assists in 38 games (so far this season) he's averaging a goal contribution every 2 games. Not including penalties won (which is somewhere between 4-6 I think).

Taken into the context of a debut season in a new league which is arguably the most difficult in the world (it definitely is). An ongoing pandemic and barely a preseason and this doesn't look so bad. The guy definitely needs to find some composure but getting into shooting positions is the key takeaway from his struggles. There is something for him to work on & improve which is great it means he can get better.

Here is a table I made using my samsung notes.

Timo Werner stats
| Year  |Total(gls+ast)|Gls |AsT|Games
|16/17| combined 28 |21g| 7a | 32
|17/18| combined 31 |21g|10a| 45
|18/19| combined 29 |19g|10a| 37
|19/20| combined 47 |34g|13a| 45
|20/21| combined 19 |10g| 9a | 38

Unfortunately for Werner, last season saw him exceed his usual numbers. Essentially placing higher expectations on him. Even though his numbers have dropped, he is still performing. The long goal droughts means he is underperforming by his usual standards. But, factoring in the mitigating circumstances he shows promise in my opinion.

If we assume he will carry on his current ratio he could still end the season with some decent numbers in his debut campaign. Not to mention we finally have a player guaranteed to get us 10 goals and 10 assists every season. We've been needed that in attack for a while. All we need now is a lethal number 9.

I said before the game that we could use his pace and we really did, happy for him.

Timo is now on 10 goals and 7 assists - that makes him directly involved in our goals the most, essential for our squad at this point even if he does miss shots.

Selfless player, whose pace means he is always a threat. Cracking composure for the first goal as well, which was good to see. He did well. I would like to see him get some chances a bit more centrally, he always seems to have a shot from a tight angle, but he is getting in decent positions.

The number of runs he makes, both off the ball, and chasing it down, is immense.  Leading from the front!

Great job Turbo.

Edited by nonotnowjim

16 minutes ago, nonotnowjim said:

Selfless player, whose pace means he is always a threat. Cracking composure for the first goal as well, which was good to see. He did well. I would like to see him get some chances a bit more centrally, he always seems to have a shot from a tight angle, but he is getting in decent positions.

The number of runs he makes, both off the ball, and chasing it down, is immense.  Leading from the front!

Great job Turbo.

Which unfortunately often is down to his bad first touch. 

But he did very well today. Worked tirelessly for the team and even did okay in possession. He was better at protecting the ball than usually. That of course was all topped of with a lovely assist, for which, as you said, he showed great composure.