Again, why did he have to start this game? He's already under sh1ts loads of pressure and scrutiny after mid week, why putting him under the spot light again? He was not going to play against a team pressing high, with the fatigue factor it made no sense for him to play. Another case of International break f* us over, we half fixed him before the break, he came back like a kid never played as a striker.

I must be going crazy but I really don't think he's been that bad. Unacceptable goal drought no doubt but he's still been contributing and delivering key assists. 

Torres was basically ten men and a man up front doing his own thing, don't get that feeling with Timo.

That makes for grim reading however you dress it up. Werner certainly hasn’t panned out how I or anyone expected. Hopefully he can turn things around but I’m just not convinced he suits a league where defences rarely let you run in behind & for a team that dominate the ball as much as we do which limits that even more.

8 hours ago, Argo said:

I must be going crazy but I really don't think he's been that bad. Unacceptable goal drought no doubt but he's still been contributing and delivering key assists. 

Torres was basically ten men and a man up front doing his own thing, don't get that feeling with Timo.

Timo is definitely better than Torres. 

But when you look at excuses, you can say Torres already fell off at Liverpool after his injury. They were a Europa League team and we didn't realise the drop off.

The problem with Timo is not just his finishing, it's his inability on the ball. His touch is horrible, always loses the ball and his cant connect well with crosses high or low, into the box.

I never expected his football ability to be this bad.

4 hours ago, KonaKai Blue said:

Timo is definitely better than Torres. 

But when you look at excuses, you can say Torres already fell off at Liverpool after his injury. They were a Europa League team and we didn't realise the drop off.

The problem with Timo is not just his finishing, it's his inability on the ball. His touch is horrible, always loses the ball and his cant connect well with crosses high or low, into the box.

I never expected his football ability to be this bad.

His touch is about 50/50, i really think he is so worried about letting theta down the pressure is a bit heavy, Mounts goal yesterday was all down to Timo, and his awareness, i honestly think a pre season and he'll be fine, you don't score as many as him, by being as non prolific as say David Mc goldbrick or Ollie McBurnie...

He's lost his confidence and that's normal it happens to everyone. The difference being every single move he makes is under intense scrutiny he's damned if he does he's damned if he doesn't. It's got to the point where he's expected not to score when 1v1 and that's not only from everyone else but himself also.

If you look at the assist for Mount's goal you can tell he didn't want to shoot that in fear that he would miss, a striker on form buries that after he faked the keeper but I do think the pass was the right call even if you're on form guarantee the goal.

Based purely of his stats last season he over performed, whilst he was on an upwards trajectory he still performed higher than what would be currently expected of his development. This has led to the downturn in form being held so badly against him. He is a completely different player on and off form.

I think its only fair to judge him by the end of next season. If he flounders for a second year then I think criticsm is more than warranted. However, right now I can't help but feel sorry for him because he still tries and that's all you can ask. 

Edited by LongtimerLurker

3 hours ago, Scott said:

Sadly I'm beginning to get a Morata vibe about our Timo. 

Just not up for the toughest league on the planet.

Not the first not will I be the last to say this but he needs to leave here. We are a graveyard for many strikers and Timo just is not coping with the pressure of playing for us.

Sometimes a club and player do not fit together and sadly I believe this is the case here.

2 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Not the first not will I be the last to say this but he needs to leave here. We are a graveyard for many strikers and Timo just is not coping with the pressure of playing for us.

Sometimes a club and player do not fit together and sadly I believe this is the case here.

Drogba and Costa say otherwise 

I thought etoo was also pretty good

24 minutes ago, Bob stark said:

Drogba and Costa say otherwise 

I thought etoo was also pretty good

Eto'o was very good. Class above any striker we've signed in the Roman era bar Drogba and maybe Crespo. He was just old by the time he signed for us. 

On Werner I think this is where it comes down to how much you really want it. The best players use this as a platform to improve. 11 goals is by no means terrible with plenty of matches still to come. The weak Morata's of the world slunk off to another easier league. 

1 hour ago, Spiller86 said:

Eto'o was very good. Class above any striker we've signed in the Roman era bar Drogba and maybe Crespo. He was just old by the time he signed for us. 

On Werner I think this is where it comes down to how much you really want it. The best players use this as a platform to improve. 11 goals is by no means terrible with plenty of matches still to come. The weak Morata's of the world slunk off to another easier league. 

With Werner it depend on two thing, whether he will get better on the ball or we change our game to suit him otherwise it is very2 difficult to see him succeed here. 

IMO number wise Werner production isn't bad, the problem is for guy whose contribution to the team is just number, it is very2 low. 

Werner will come good, he can be prolific. Confidence is huge in football and with the league the way it is there is no room to breathe, the pressure is constant. 

Looking to sell him is the most ridiculous thing we could do, when it's clear when he can play off a competent striker he will do much better. The potential is there and it will happen, I am pretty confident of that.

We also lack creativity in midfield which doesn't help. 

5 hours ago, Malcolm9 said:

Werner will come good, he can be prolific. Confidence is huge in football and with the league the way it is there is no room to breathe, the pressure is constant. 

Looking to sell him is the most ridiculous thing we could do, when it's clear when he can play off a competent striker he will do much better. The potential is there and it will happen, I am pretty confident of that.

We also lack creativity in midfield which doesn't help. 

What if we as the fans flipped it on its head. Instead of seeing him as a pure goal scorer what if we viewed him as a playmaker for our team. It seems since his goal draught he has been relatively successful in creating chances for the team. Referenced by him being the leading assist maker for our team this season.

Ironically if he was purchased under the premise of being a 'forward' rather than a 'striker' he probably wouldn't be judged as harshly by the media and other team's fans.

2 minutes ago, LongtimerLurker said:

What if we as the fans flipped it on its head. Instead of seeing him as a pure goal scorer what if we viewed him as a playmaker for our team. It seems since his goal draught he has been relatively successful in creating chances for the team. Referenced by him being the leading assist maker for our team this season.

Ironically if he was purchased under the premise of being a 'forward' rather than a 'striker' he probably wouldn't be judged as harshly by the media and other team's fans.

Either way, as long as he's involved in a successful attack that is scoring goals and part of a winning team, that's all that matters, and will guarantee him time on the pitch.

But sooner or later he will need to start tucking away those guilt edge chances that he gets most games, if not every other game.

I do wonder if you got rid of both Kovacic & Jorginho, stuck a DM next to Kante we might see a change in our approach and get the best out of him. We need to move the ball upfield quickly and do away with the high possession stats, both Kovacic & Jorginho have high possession stats but don’t create enough on the ball. Liverpool are having the same issues with Thiago in the middle of the park.

He hasn't been good enough, he doesn't even make runs anymore, at least Havertz comes deep and comes to the wing to help but all I see from Werner is missing a clear header after a good cross by Mount and just losing possession after a poor first touch or just after randomly going forward with the ball and getting stuck...

24 minutes ago, ducavis said:

I do wonder if you got rid of both Kovacic & Jorginho, stuck a DM next to Kante we might see a change in our approach and get the best out of him. We need to move the ball upfield quickly and do away with the high possession stats, both Kovacic & Jorginho have high possession stats but don’t create enough on the ball. Liverpool are having the same issues with Thiago in the middle of the park.

I have seen a lot of questionable excuses for Werner's poor performances but this must take the cake. The guy is missing wide open chances and blaming Jorginho and Kovacic for that is just ridiculous.