Timo Werner

Jezz

On 25/04/2021 at 03:33, EdinburghBlue said:

I should hope he scored the winner with 5 or 6 decent chances. The standards for Werner by our fans are through the floor. His finishing is absolutely abysmal for a £50m player.

So the goal somehow isn’t as good or it’s discounted because he had a couple other (I’ll argue he did not have anywhere near 5 or 6 decent chances - 3 at most, 4 as a stretch) chances?

Price is a whole separate issue, but you seem to think we paid a lot for him. £50m, relative to the market over the past half decade, is not a large sum.

2 hours ago, mwblue10 said:

So the goal somehow isn’t as good or it’s discounted because he had a couple other (I’ll argue he did not have anywhere near 5 or 6 decent chances - 3 at most, 4 as a stretch) chances?

Price is a whole separate issue, but you seem to think we paid a lot for him. £50m, relative to the market over the past half decade, is not a large sum.

Someone’s already listed them all for you, I won’t repeat the post. 

We did pay a lot for him. £50m for a striker who has scored 2 goals in something obscene like 23 goals “in today’s market” is still sh*te. You can tart it up anyway you like but he’s a forward and that’s where he was bought to play, just go back in this thread and you’ll see plenty of people crying when Frank played him from the left. Now he’s not scoring, he was never meant to be a goalscoring striker. 

I like the guy, comes across as humble and hard working but let’s not make out that he’s even been close to living up the expectation when he signed and as things stand - yes, we overpaid for him. Will that change? Who knows.

On 25/04/2021 at 18:55, just said:

He got zero protection from match officials at the beginning. Whether because of his size or the fact he used to moan a lot about the treatment he was getting they often ignored blatant fouls on him.

His hold up play, physical strength, work rate and the amount of closing down he did meant he was a nightmare for defenders. I read somewhere once that we scored a record number of goals from midfield and defenders that season and I think probably much of that was down to Drogba and his ability to hold the ball up and bring others into play.

He was undoubtedly an asset for us back then, as Werner is for us, just that it wasn't all about goals. Drogba was quite awkward with his touches and finishing during his first season and a long way off the world beater he became. I remember this inadvertent finish off his shin that, in my mind back then, just typified what he was about during his first year and a bit.

I think TT has told Timo not to get hung up on the goal chances he misses and that provding assists is just as good.

For me Timo misses the chances where he has time to think, left foot or right foot, shoot or round the keeper too much thinking.

With Torres, the injury, not first choice and suspect some kind of breakdown. He had some terrible misses (Werner too) some good goals yet again could not score with time on his hands. One notable exception was the Nou Camp yet think that chance gave him a chance to settle an old score and veangance was a stronger feeling than the psycho one about missing bread and butter goals. He did become a decent wide player for us off the bench though remained a massive over-expenditure.

Drogba though he had a poor first season was phenomenal after that. The only other striker I have seemed come close and that was for two seasons only was Benteke at Villa, yet looked what happened to him at Liverpool.

6 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

I think TT has told Timo not to get hung up on the goal chances he misses 

Let's see if he and the team will still feel that way if Timos misses today cost the team a spot on the final.

1 poor finish and he loses his head for the rest of the game in terms of finishing, those wild shots aren't appreciated but at least he's not shying away from the problem I guess.

I can only think, he is a pro that can finish 95% better than i once could, i've seen him get good contact on a ball, and he just assumes he's tucked it away, saturdays miss was much harder though than tonights attempt 1/5 thats just for getting in position, Aguerro if fit would of scored 25 for us this year......

I’m done with him now, I want us to replace him in the summer or at least find another striker.

Hes a very good team player and I’d keep him to play off the striker, but as our main striker, hell no! He’s been missing glorious chances all season and I can’t see how that’s going to be different next year.

F*ck knows how he scored like 38 goals in Germany.

If this team had a real striker, I think they'd be the best in the world. I used to think Werner had the yips. Now I think he just blows. He just doesn't have world class skill. He has world class athleticism but 2nd tier clinical skill.

We made mistake by holding to Torres for 3 years, when he should be sold after first season. Hope club doesnt make that mistake again. There is a reason why Chelsea won Premier League with Drogba and Costa and only fight for top 4 with players like Torres, Morata or now Werner. Club need better striker.

as much as I support Werner, just don't believer we should risk it by playing him in the return leg. Giroud has been forgotten for months after winning that game for us against Atletico, although he has his limitations, he's a far better finisher and a big game player. If Giroud is playing, we will be able to put a lot more early cross in, and Giroud beats most defenders in the air, even on his bad days. I just hate to imagine next week we get knocked out by an away goal, after Werner miss 3 clear cut chances.

His problem is that his feet moves quicker than his mind. That might have worked last season but it isn’t this season. He needs to take his time and think a bit before shooting, that would honestly solve a lot of the chances he has missed.

2 hours ago, dansubrosa said:

I’m done with him now, I want us to replace him in the summer or at least find another striker.

Hes a very good team player and I’d keep him to play off the striker, but as our main striker, hell no! He’s been missing glorious chances all season and I can’t see how that’s going to be different next year.

F*ck knows how he scored like 38 goals in Germany.

I feel similarly. I feel like he has good attributes that help the team in attack but I don’t think he’s the striker to lead the line. We should keep him but invest in another striker.

2 hours ago, Gol15 said:

I think we have to remember he's still a kid (well compared to my age) and there is a lot of pressure on him...................................but he's been f**king awful this season.

3 minutes ago, CFCCAN said:

I think we have to remember he's still a kid (well compared to my age) and there is a lot of pressure on him...................................but he's been f**king awful this season.

Is the type of thing that can make or break a players career here. I mean look at Torres. He was beyond hopeless and most of the time looked like he did not give a rats a$$ about playing for us yet for that goal in Barca, winning that corner in Munich and then winning us the Europa he claimed winners medals and, on the end, is a success.

We get knocked out next week and a lot of that will get heaped on timos head.

1 minute ago, axman2526 said:

Is the type of thing that can make or break a players career here. I mean look at Torres. He was beyond hopeless and most of the time looked like he did not give a rats a$$ about playing for us yet for that goal in Barca, winning that corner in Munich and then winning us the Europa he claimed winners medals and, on the end, is a success.

We get knocked out next week and a lot of that will get heaped on timos head.

He reminds me a bit of Salah when he first arrived here he missed quite a few and we got rid....and now look.  In a way I hope we don't make the same mistake.  There is a place for him in this side, but not as our main striker that's for sure. 

1 minute ago, CFCCAN said:

He reminds me a bit of Salah when he first arrived here he missed quite a few and we got rid....and now look.  In a way I hope we don't make the same mistake.  There is a place for him in this side, but not as our main striker that's for sure. 

As a creator and for his work rate I have no issues with him. His first touch needs some work.

As our main striker I do take issue with, he is just not right for that role.

It never gets easier for him, does it?

I feel torn about him, because he's such a nice guy but he keeps failing in those key moments which will someday crash him (and the team) hard.

Come next FM I expect him to have 20 for Off the Ball/Work Rate and 1 for Finishing/Composure.

But like others said, I hope we remain calm about his situation and let him flourish for at least another season before making another Salah move and rushing to get the new hot commodity in town.