Timo Werner

Jezz

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, mwblue10 said:

Glad he got the goal, but for me his hold up play and layoff to Kante in the buildup was one of the best plays from him on the night.

Yeah and don't forget that lay off midair pass to Mason around the 60th min mark. That was awesome as well and should've ended with a goal.

Edit: Gotta hate the media, here in Brazil ESPN's headline for Timo's words post game is "Werner takes aim at Lampard: We had few chances and now we're in the CL final". 

He didn't even mention Frank, and all he talked about was how the season was up and down, up and down so he didn't really expect to be in 2 finals. Is it always that bad in England (or whichever country you're from) as well?

Edited by Brigadeiro

Brilliant performance again last night. Pace, hunger, non stop chasing, some nice touches, with his little back heel into mason being sublime, a cracking finish for the offside goal, and of course,  yet another huge goal in the tie to give us the lead, which he also played a huge part in the build up to.

Still some crinkles to iron out, and his passing and touch remains erratic (at best) - but an all action, huge performance last night. 

1) becomes the first player for a long time to reach double figures for goals and assists in a single season

2) contributes goals/assists to as many/more goals in a single season than some Chelsea of the very best strikers Chelsea have.

3) leads the line to gets us into the FA cup and UCL final

4) come across as such a nice lad.

These are some brilliant things to achieve in a first season, in these weird times, and are a brilliant platform for him build on.

well done turbo timo - take a bow.

The cool thing about Werner, and what some folks are missing about his game, is is he is a creator? no, he does not have the vision of a KDB to find that through ball, nor the finishing so many here crave for, but his pace and movement make him a nightmare to deal with. His presence alone will force City to employ a low(er) block.

Apart from Palace every performance without him in the lineup under TT has been lacking.

39 minutes ago, Argo said:

The cool thing about Werner, and what some folks are missing about his game, is is he is a creator? no, he does not have the vision of a KDB to find that through ball, nor the finishing so many here crave for, but his pace and movement make him a nightmare to deal with. His presence alone will force City to employ a low(er) block.

Apart from Palace every performance without him in the lineup under TT has been lacking.

I#m not even sure about his lack of vision anymore tbh. I always thought of Werner as a very one-dimensional player and of course he is no KdB, which is hard to come by because KdB is the absolute benchmark, but I've seen now some combos with Werner being an integral part of that I rather think he does have the vision but lacks (severely) technique (and to some degree lack of understanding of his new teammates) and maybe a bit the understanding what's feasable atm and what not to execute those consistently. He clearly knows how to position himself, how to run into spaces with and without having the ball and also where to pass. It's just that his touch or technique let him down way too often so that it gets ridiculed quite easily.

That said, he clearly is not a player that would work in almost every formation/group.

52 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Thought it was his best game. He was superb, his touches were great, his lay offs superb. All round it was a top, top performance.

Yup, could've probably had something like two assists as well if our finishing was better. 

He is instrumental for the way we play right now and he obviously has a great atittude so I have no doubt that he'll improve even more. 

6 hours ago, Argo said:

I think he is a creator of a different sort - often finds himself running at/behind the last line with just a final pass to make, creating chances so often. Of course, he doesn't have the technique or vision of KDB or even Kai/Pulisic but that's not his style/role.

I think the coolest thing about Werner and Mount (highly underrated) is that they are nearly always fit, ala Frank Lampard. You can always count on them to be available for a game and give their best.

He's going to bang them in (and of course miss many as he is prone to do!) next season, would be surprised if he ends with less than 20 goals.

Wit his raw pace and willingness to make those runs, it's almost impossible for defenders to deal with him the whole game, regardless how deep they defend. It's all part of Tuchel's plan to keep playing him, and make the adjustment tactically to ensure he get feed those through balls, and in recent games we are seeing the reward. I feared the worst at that moment just before he calmly headed the ball in, but he fooled us for once 😄 For me, even at his worst, he showed complete different attitude to past strikers like Torres and Morata, he worked hard and never stopped trying, the reward had to come one day.

So Werner started and played well who can predicted it. 

It is funny, I have been arguably the hardest Werner critic but I said Werner must play against Madrid. Even his miss in the 1st leg didn't deter me. 

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, sonic90 said:

Strange player he is atm, seems to mess us passes and shots but also affects the game quite a bit as well.

It is not strange imo. He has clear strength and weakness. 

He is an absolute menace in open space. His behind run is by far his strongest attributes. If the opp play high line, he is the 1st name on teamsheet. 

However, he has clear weaknesses. The most glaring is he is very2 average on the ball. He tend to struggle in tight spaces. 

This has been the case since his first game with us. He was fantastic in the 1st half against Brighton because there are tons of space behind, once Brighton tightened their defense, his influenced diminished big time. 

Edited by Bob stark

Drop him and play Tammy! Tammy is more of an all rounder don't you know.

Drop him and play Tammy!! Tammy is our top scorer don't you know. 

Drop him and play Tammy!!! If Timo was from the academy he wouldn't play, don't you know. 

Drop him and play Tammy!!!! Werner never has any impact don't you know.

I of course do not think this, but those who usually post this type of nonsense  have been conspicuous by their absence.... wouldn't want their voices to be lost. 😉

13 minutes ago, nonotnowjim said:

Drop him and play Tammy!!! If Timo was from the academy he wouldn't play, don't you know. 

I of course do not think this, but those who usually post this type of nonsense  have been conspicuous by their absence.... wouldn't want their voices to be lost. 😉

Hes still been nowhere near good enough, missing loads of chances, making loads of mistakes/bad choices, mis-controlling plenty of passes etc. But look at you with your little chubby on because he played fairly well in a game, scored a sitter from a yard and had one very good assist. You pathetic little child.

25 minutes ago, nonotnowjim said:

Come on man this is a little too much now. 

I'm on the exact same page as you regarding the Werner/Tammy situation but there's better ways to go about it.

9 minutes ago, dkw said:

Hes still been nowhere near good enough, missing loads of chances, making loads of mistakes/bad choices, mis-controlling plenty of passes etc. But look at you with your little chubby on because he played fairly well in a game, scored a sitter from a yard and had one very good assist. You pathetic little child.

I don't think anybody has been saying he is good enough, just that he is a better option than Abraham. But why let the truth get in the way...

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Argo said:

Come on man this is a little too much now. 

I'm on the exact same page as you regarding the Werner/Tammy situation but there's better ways to go about it.

It's all good banter. We live and stand by our words so no need for the more righteous to take things so seriously. 

I hope that Tammy plays on the weekend and scores a hatrick to sink city - if and when he does, then it is fair game for the Tammy fans to come back and make me eat my words. And I will take it with a smile and in good jest. 

We are all fans and hoping for the same thing, what's best for Chelsea 

Edited by nonotnowjim

3 minutes ago, nonotnowjim said:

I don't think anybody has been saying he is good enough, just that he is a better option than Abraham. But why let the truth get in the way...

Who has been saying all the stuff you posted? The majority of people have been asking for Tammy to be given game time to prove himself, while pointing out Werner has been playing poorly when it comes to the one thing we are severely lacking in our game, goals.