Posted (edited)

His biggest weakness is dribbling. He cant beat any defender 1v1 with his dribbling ability. Time and time again he just runs into them and loses the ball. It's painful to watch. That's something we expect from our other forwards like Pulisic who is capable of taking on 3-4 players at once if he's on it like the Liverpool away game last season. 

He is at his best when he takes few touches of the ball and releases it quickly like he did with the assist. No dilly dallying around. 

Edited by Valhalla

I think he needs a rest for a match or two or maybe come on as sub for a couple of matches. Thought he looked tried on a couple of occasions today. He was still great when given something to chase but those two offsides goals he just didn’t bother to get back on side.

9 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

His biggest weakness is dribbling. He cant beat any defender 1v1 with his dribbling ability. Time and time again he just runs into them and loses the ball. It's painful to watch. That's something we expect from our other forwards like Pulisic who is capable of taking on 3-4 players at once if he's on it like the Liverpool away game last season. 

He is at his best when he takes few touches of the ball and releases it quickly like he did with the assist. No dilly dallying around. 

That's true. Technically his ball control is generally poor. And there were lots of examples tonight. The one in The first half where he was flagged offside taking the ball away from the keeper to the left of the area, his first touch was awful. Second half he tried to collect and turn with ball in the centre circle and totally missed it. At the beginning I thought it was a confidence thing, but it's happened for too long now. It's his touch.

Some one posted in the match thread that he has no tricks or dribbling ability in 1v1s. He relies solely on his natural pace to try and best a man. Andros Townsend does the same.

Posted (edited)

For me his touch and ball control is the worst in our team, perhaps with the exception of Mendy and Zouma.

He struggles to dribble with the ball at his feet (unless he has lots of space to kick it forward and run on to it), and his football brain/intelligence, with how often he is blatantly offside and where he chooses to run/turn is severely lacking.

His finishing this year needs no summary and he seems to panic, overanalyse and make bad decisions when he has too much time on the ball....

...but...

...he is a player whose energy, pressing, relentless running and goal contributions are absolutely key to our current game and recent good run of results, during which time he has been consistently producing match winning and game changing contributions.

It is no doubt a really really odd set of circumstances.

I guess it is our version of Giroud and France. Giroud is clearly not the best player France could play up top, but he brings out the best in others and is key to how France played to win the WC. He might not have always been the win scoring the goals, but without him the team is less effective.

Edited by nonotnowjim

11 hours ago, goose said:

I think he needs a rest for a match or two or maybe come on as sub for a couple of matches. Thought he looked tried on a couple of occasions today. He was still great when given something to chase but those two offsides goals he just didn’t bother to get back on side.

Agree that he looked knackered at times and would benefit from a rest.  The problem is that we don't have another forward to replace him. Tammy has been ineffective all season and makes minimal game or result changing contributions, and Giroud, although effective at what he does, necessitates a complete change of playing style.

The only realistic solution if we drop Timo is to play Kai as a false 9. But that  will not cause defenders the same headaches as Timos pace and closing down does.

2 hours ago, JM7 said:

Is Werner slowly becoming one of our most important players? I think he is..

After 3500 minutes played by all means he should be our guest and become important. He's still not that different than how he was under Lampard, still missing chances but getting some assists.

Posted (edited)

He definitely needs a rest. Played almost every game. Don't want him to be injured from overload. If we can wrap up top 4 early with the help of teams around us bottling it I would rest him for the last game of the season vs Villa along with other key players. We should have top 4 secured by then

Edited by Valhalla

4 hours ago, nonotnowjim said:

Agree that he looked knackered at times and would benefit from a rest.  The problem is that we don't have another forward to replace him. Tammy has been ineffective all season and makes minimal game or result changing contributions, and Giroud, although effective at what he does, necessitates a complete change of playing style.

The only realistic solution if we drop Timo is to play Kai as a false 9. But that  will not cause defenders the same headaches as Timos pace and closing down does.

Could ask Pulisic to play the role and bring CHO in on the left. Will maintain a good level of pace that way. Not the same as Werner bit we wont be slow up top.

19 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

48 appearances and 26 goal contributions now. 

Key to our attacking play. 

A couple weeks ago when you first posted an update like this, I think he was on 22 or 23 contributions. At the time, I thought to myself “he might hit 30 for the season” but wasn’t too confident he would. Has a good chance now.

I know we all wanted more goals from him, but for a first season in England he’s been decent enough. I think he’ll bang in at least 15 league goals next season. I think sometimes as a fan base, we may set our expectations a bit high. Costa was an anomaly as a first year Chelsea player, but compared to everyone else Werner has been competent, at minimum. The best is yet to come - should be exciting.

20 hours ago, Ernie_blue said:

It's not good when you need Werner to be Chelsea top goalscorer for your end of season bets and then remember all the chances he has missed.

Tell me about it, I have a Werner, Ivan Toney and Jonson Clarke-Harris treble so Timo owes me £2k 

54 minutes ago, timetowaste said:

Tell me about it, I have a Werner, Ivan Toney and Jonson Clarke-Harris treble so Timo owes me £2k 

Did you have Werner as Chelsea top league goalscorer? Odds was evens at the start of the season which I thought was cracking odds. It depends who the bookies are but I'm sure bet365 split it between Werner, Mount, Abraham and Jorginho but I could be wrong. Werner should be be leading top goalscorer by far.

25 minutes ago, Ernie_blue said:

Did you have Werner as Chelsea top league goalscorer? Odds was evens at the start of the season which I thought was cracking odds. It depends who the bookies are but I'm sure bet365 split it between Werner, Mount, Abraham and Jorginho but I could be wrong. Werner should be be leading top goalscorer by far.

No this was premier league top scorer, I got 8/1 for Werner, 9/1 for Toney in the championship and 10/1 for Clarke-Harris in league 1. The other two came in so just timo let me down unless he can bang in 20 goals in our last 3 prem games haha

Has anybody else realised we're a far better team when he plays? His presence alone worries defences and it's not surprise we've won so many games when he's started in comparison to when he doesn't.

2 hours ago, JMaher94 said:

Has anybody else realised we're a far better team when he plays? His presence alone worries defences and it's not surprise we've won so many games when he's started in comparison to when he doesn't.

Completely agree.  While there is much more to come from him, mainly goals (hold up play/touches will be forgiven), there is no denying his pace, movement and constant running make a difference.  We look slower in possession and movement off the ball without him, and rarely move defenders around to the extend we need.

Starts every game for me.  Just want to see improved finishing.

2 hours ago, JMaher94 said:

We lost 2 PL games under Tuchel, in both of them Rudiger didn't play and those loses (WBA, Arsenal) were mainly due to our own mistakes with the ball or our own defending, Werner playing or not it's still Jorginho that lost us the game vs Arsenal for example so it makes no difference but if there is player that was missing it's possibly Rudiger.

Disappointing today.  I just don't think he does enough with the ball at his feet.  He had 2 3 on 3 chances in the first.  First one he sky's the shot, the 2nd one he dribbles it wide, terrible contact.....and look at there goal.  A screamer from further out with perfect technique.  I see his qualities but I just don't think he's good enough. 

I was previously thinking "at least he makes runs" but today we saw him making runs then having to stop and wait for everyone else before losing it because he does nothing when he has to actually deal with defenders.

I can usually get behind a player who tries hard and it doesn't quite work out but he's stifling an already weak attack and the sheer number of offsides are unforgivable. I'm not convinced he can get better now. We've no choice but to give him another season but it's looking like another Morata to me.