18 hours ago, Backbiter said:

Flagging is now done retrospectively. They play on and check later. 

Watching that over the weekend was ridiculously annoying, you could see a player was a mile offside but the linesman didnt put their flag up for ages and everyone just basically stood around waiting. Its farcical. 

6 hours ago, dkw said:

Watching that over the weekend was ridiculously annoying, you could see a player was a mile offside but the linesman didnt put their flag up for ages and everyone just basically stood around waiting. Its farcical. 

We'll get used to it. It's better than erroneous flags stopping attacks that could have led to goals.

18 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

We'll get used to it. It's better than erroneous flags stopping attacks that could have led to goals.

Not when they are as blatant as some of those were. By all means hold back on the marginal calls, but when a player is 5 or 6 yards off put your bloody flag up. 

Just now, dkw said:

Not when they are as blatant as some of those were. By all means hold back on the marginal calls, but when a player is 5 or 6 yards off put your bloody flag up. 

I know they were blatant, but if you tell a linesman 'Only flag if it's blatant', you can be sure someone will flag when it isn't and make the wrong call. 

On 23/09/2020 at 16:03, Backbiter said:

I know they were blatant, but if you tell a linesman 'Only flag if it's blatant', you can be sure someone will flag when it isn't and make the wrong call. 

Surely the easy solution is the linesman flags but the ref doesnt blow so play continues and if a goal is scored then check it. Players instructed to ignore the linesman, he is only there to assist the ref.

1 hour ago, Bonzodog29 said:

Surely the easy solution is the linesman flags but the ref doesnt blow so play continues and if a goal is scored then check it. Players instructed to ignore the linesman, he is only there to assist the ref.

I think this happened in one match but its really hard for the players to carry on once the linesman has flagged. They just stop automatically. 

1 hour ago, Bonzodog29 said:

The ref and linesman are mic'd up. I am sure the lino is telling the ref verbally that looks to be off. 

Think I saw a game recently in the PL happen where the ref blew up for offside despite no flag from the lino. I suspected that it was because the linesman said it was offside and the ref decided it was blatant enough. 

6 minutes ago, turnyitb said:

Not much of an impact on todays game. Feel he is much more suited to counter attacking football against the better sides or when we are ahead in games. Struggled today trying to thread through compact areas.

This is definitely the case, he will be deadly on the counter, or in games we take the lead, but its not his game against packed defences. 

Really missed Ziyech and Pulisic today. The former would've had so many chances for deliver quality, and the latter has the sort of close control and dribbling that can open teams up.

He isn't the greatest technically, is he? His first touch and short passing are far from elite level. He played pretty well in spite of that in his first two games, and he can always trouble defences with his speed and his sharpness, but it's definetly something to look out for. Curious to see if he works out for us.

As for the criticism directed towards Frank for putting him out wide... I think it's totally understandable. Both Tammy and Giroud played very well midweek whereas Callum didn't show much. And with Ziyech and Pulisic out this was the logical call. And it's not like Timo isn't used to playing there. He started his career there, plays there often for Germany and even for Leipzig he played off a target man and liked drifting to the left. Our system is quite fluid anyways so no criticism towards Frank from me on that front.

1 minute ago, jack_super_class said:

Im liking the comments about playing him centre forward and not out wide. To think some fans wanted to use him on the left wing we bought him, i never saw it. I got no doubt use him as a striker he will score plenty. Frank has to stop with playing players out of position.

But that was where he played for Leipzig and the German national team. Cutting in from the left is where he is the most dangerous. Obviously he can't be used as a traditional winger and hug the line but playing off of a central forward should be the best way to utilize him.

1 minute ago, reparto corse said:

But that was where he played for Leipzig and the German national team. Cutting in from the left is where he is the most dangerous. Obviously he can't be used as a traditional winger and hug the line but playing off of a central forward should be the best way to utilize him.

I know, but theres nothing stopping him when playing centre forward that he can drift out to the left sometimes. I want our front 3 to have flexibility and change positions. But against packed defences using him on the left all game i don't see it.

28 minutes ago, True Blue23 said:

As for the criticism directed towards Frank for putting him out wide... I think it's totally understandable. Both Tammy and Giroud played very well midweek whereas Callum didn't show much. And with Ziyech and Pulisic out this was the logical call. And it's not like Timo isn't used to playing there. He started his career there, plays there often for Germany and even for Leipzig he played off a target man and liked drifting to the left. Our system is quite fluid anyways so no criticism towards Frank from me on that front.

Different systems. Leipzig use wingbacks. He isn’t a player for a 4-2-3-1. He needs to play him centrally  & get the ball to him as quickly as possible.

4 hours ago, dkw said:

No he didnt, what a complete load of old bollocks. 

It's a joke.  But he was asked to track back more on the right hand side, but in truth was roaming all over last 10 mins.  

Simply put he is a striker.  Frank needs to stop messing around and play him there.  It really isn't that complicated.

Edited by PhilH930