lets talk about our defence

I said this on the matchthread but it's equally applicable here.

Today shown exactly why we're buying a lot of attackers before we "fix our defense". I wouldn't have blamed the defense if this ended 1-1 even if one of them made an absolute howler, it would have been all on the attack.

Unless a bonafide WC safe bet CB option comes along then it can wait. Get a proper LB, competent keeper, play Zouma and Rudiger together and stick with them and i don't think things will look half as bad as they are currently, and that's before we mention Ziyech, Werner and (hopefully) Havertz will kill games like tonight and Arsenal at home off before the defense have a chance to self combust.

52 minutes ago, Argo said:

I said this on the matchthread but it's equally applicable here.

Today shown exactly why we're buying a lot of attackers before we "fix our defense". I wouldn't have blamed the defense if this ended 1-1 even if one of them made an absolute howler, it would have been all on the attack.

Unless a bonafide WC safe bet CB option comes along then it can wait. Get a proper LB, competent keeper, play Zouma and Rudiger together and stick with them and i don't think things will look half as bad as they are currently, and that's before we mention Ziyech, Werner and (hopefully) Havertz will kill games like tonight and Arsenal at home off before the defense have a chance to self combust.

Yes. 

Also helps when the team you are playing can't attack or defend crosses into a box. 

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like there are a quite a few decent options, and we allear to have very deep pockets. 

Gk

Oblak

Onana

Ter stegen

Cakir

Henderson

Pope

Rajkovic 

Donnarumma 

Left back

Chilwell

Tagliafico 

Telles

Grimaldo 

Gosens

Centre back

Rice

Gimenez 

Romagnoli 

Skriniar 

Upamecano 

Ake

Koulibaly 

Now we havent been linked to all of these players, but they all seem to be "available" to some degree, and if reports are true that we will spend big, surely we can fix the defence sufficiently with this pool of players to target. 

On 24/07/2020 at 15:00, big blue said:

Seems like there are a quite a few decent options, and we allear to have very deep pockets. 

Gk

Oblak

Onana

Ter stegen

Cakir

Henderson

Pope

Rajkovic 

Donnarumma 

Left back

Chilwell

Tagliafico 

Telles

Grimaldo 

Gosens

Centre back

Rice

Gimenez 

Romagnoli 

Skriniar 

Upamecano 

Ake

Koulibaly 

Now we havent been linked to all of these players, but they all seem to be "available" to some degree, and if reports are true that we will spend big, surely we can fix the defence sufficiently with this pool of players to target. 

In priority i feel GK is the position we most need improving and then CB. I actually would be happy with Alonso for LB. I see us getting Onana and Rice, would prefer Oblak and Koulibaly, i just dont see the club spending BIG money on players unlikely to have a good re-sell value.

Man Utd will never sell us Dean Henderson and I reckon he will be included in their squad next season to challenge De Gea.
I read that Kepa is willing to take a pay cut to go to Atletico so I reckon a swap deal for Oblak is most likely.

Chilwell is English so he counts towards the HG quota, although we might be good anyway next season but he just doesn't look all that great to me.

Declan Rice is a decent player but still a gamble since he isn't the finished article and will cost a bomb, he also has only filled in as a CB for a few games.
Ake is too short to be a CB for us, we already have problems defending set pieces but if the price is right we can use him as a midfielder if we sell Jorginho or Kante.

• 3 months later...
On 18/06/2020 at 14:43, RIP Mourinho said:

Sell Alonso to Newcastle if their takeover materialises and spend big on a top quality LB. If Lamps thinks that is Chillwell, so be it, although i'm not convinced. Emerson we either keep as a backup or move him on and use Maatsen/Azpi as backup.

Bring in a veteran CB to play alongside and mentor Tomori for a year. T.Silva will be available for a free this summer and then reassess the situation next summer when hopefully a new CB will have appeared and shown he's worth buying.

I think we have to keep Kepa for another season, possibly swap goalkeeping coach?

RB we're sorted for a decade.

Happy to have been proven wrong about chilwell and so glad we had the budget for Mendy to replace Kepa.

Bang on the money with Silva though, what a signing he's turned out to be.

3 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Happy to have been proven wrong about chilwell and so glad we had the budget for Mendy to replace Kepa.

Bang on the money with Silva though, what a signing he's turned out to be.

It certainly looks different with those guys in there.  

13 hours ago, PhilH930 said:

Has any other thread turned around as much as this one? Really encouraging to see the defense come together. Still look a little disorganized without Silva, but the rest is doing very well. 

Great work done by the scouting team, purchasing team.