The Marina Granovskaia Thread

27 minutes ago, dkw said:

What is wrong with someone saying they find a woman to be good looking? Theres nothing bad been said at all.

The point is that a thread about a woman's business acumen mentions her looks after 4 posts. That never happens when it's about a man's business qualities. And it gets defended by innocently claiming nothing bad has been said.

To get a feeling for how that can be viewed, read this (commenting on female looks isnt'mentioned in this article, but it gives you an idea how it can be classified): https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20180406-the-tiny-ways-youre-offensive---and-you-dont-even-know-it 

Edited by Valerie
34 minutes ago, Valerie said:

The point is that a thread about a woman's business acumen mentions her looks after 4 posts. That never happens when it's about a man's business qualities. And it gets defended by innocently claiming nothing bad has been said.

Bang on.

Speaking of her business qualities though, damn she drives a hard bargain. Some of her recent signings are remarkable considering the comparative market value

I think I actually love her. She only joined in 2014 and since she took over transfer dealings (which i asssume was a while later) things have only got better.

Not only does she make great signings at wildly cheap prices, she also somehow manages to get a lot for players that we end up selling as well. I mean she made a profit on f**king Papy Djilibodgie ffs!

With the way our transfer business has gone the last couple seasons, I have full confidence in it now! Compared to before under Emanelo where we signed a lot of subpar dross for stupid prices and also loaned out a billion players just to waste their time and ours.

Once we sort out the rest of our loanees and sell off the no hopers, axe a few more deadwood from the first team, promote and loan out our promising youth players... Then we will truly have one of the best, if not THE best youth/loan/transfer business model in the world

1 hour ago, Valerie said:

To get a feeling for how that can be viewed, read this (commenting on female looks isnt'mentioned in this article, but it gives you an idea how it can be classified): https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20180406-the-tiny-ways-youre-offensive---and-you-dont-even-know-it 

I am guessing it would be the same on a female dominated forum if the conversation was about a Good looking Business focused man

27 minutes ago, bluedave said:

What @Valerie said. It also doesn't reflect well on individual posters if that's all they have to contribute.

I have loads to contribute, the fact i think she is hot, is nothing detrimental, i like nice looking women, her being exceedingly good at her job is irrelevant from my post!

Plus the OP says 'The Marina Granovskaia Thread', so its pretty open to varying comments 

Edited by Ballack & Blu

2 hours ago, Imran_CFC said:

I am guessing it would be the same on a female dominated forum if the conversation was about a Good looking Business focused man

What about-ism.

Also, the forums where the looks of Roman Abramovich or Warren Buffet are discussed on the first page are probably few and far between.

Edited by Valerie
1 hour ago, Ballack & Blu said:

I have loads to contribute, the fact i think she is hot, is nothing detrimental, i like nice looking women, her being exceedingly good at her job is irrelevant from my post!

Plus the OP says 'The Marina Granovskaia Thread', so its pretty open to varying comments 

This is why progress against sexism (and racism, and antisemitism, and homophobia, and transphobia) is so slow. Not only because of those that are outright sexist (or racist, etc.) still get a platform, but also because some people still deny, ignore, belittle it, or explain it away as innocent (“It’s just my opinion/a joke  and I mean no harm”). And a comment on this behaviour elicits no moment of introspection whatsoever, only a defense of their remark.

Edited by Valerie
1 hour ago, bluedave said:

What @Valerie said. It also doesn't reflect well on individual posters if that's all they have to contribute.

Come on, its hardly wolf whistling and nasty comments, its a few people saying she`s pretty and good looking, are we now not allowed to comment on how good looking she is? 

19 minutes ago, Valerie said:

This is why progress against sexism (and racism, and antisemitism, and homophobia, and transphobia) is so slow. Not only because of those that are outright sexist (or racist, etc.) still get a platform, but also because some people still deny, ignore, belittle it, or explain it away as innocent (“It’s just my opinion/a joke  and I mean no harm”). And a comment on this behaviour elicits no moment of introspection whatsoever, only a defense of their remark.

So I dont like to do this, and I truly hope you dont take offence at it as I like you a lot, but is it really that much different to your erm...infatuation with Carlo Cuducini? they comments werent derogatory in any way, certainly not compared to many other things been said about women on here and other fourms. To say a woman is pretty or good looking is surely still allowed. I agree theres a line that shouldnt be crossed, as in that f**kwit on here who keeps calling her that russian woman and saying moronic things. But a simple "she`s pretty" has to be within those boundaries surely.

1 minute ago, dkw said:

Come on, its hardly wolf whistling and nasty comments, its a few people saying she`s pretty and good looking, are we now not allowed to comment on how good looking she is? 

Knock yourself out, as long as I'm allowed to comment on how lame and uninteresting that is.

I think everyone loves the way Marina handles the business. No doubt about her credentials. On top of that she is kinda hot... Certain someone always loves Cudicini even if he wasn't playing... Just saying.

1 hour ago, dkw said:

So I dont like to do this, and I truly hope you dont take offence at it as I like you a lot, but is it really that much different to your erm...infatuation with Carlo Cuducini? they comments werent derogatory in any way, certainly not compared to many other things been said about women on here and other fourms. To say a woman is pretty or good looking is surely still allowed. I agree theres a line that shouldnt be crossed, as in that f**kwit on here who keeps calling her that russian woman and saying moronic things. But a simple "she`s pretty" has to be within those boundaries surely.

Come on Dicky, et tu in the way of what aboutisms?

But I'd be happy to explain (also to Evissy) how the Carlo thing works: football is still very much perceived to be "a man's thing". You don't want to know how many times men said to me: I didn't expect a woman to like football. I've given up on telling them why I like football, instead I tease them (although they don't realise that, which makes that more funny somehow) that I'm just in it for the bare legs. Inevitably the question is asked who I think is the best looking footballer, so I say Carlo. That has become very much a running gag in the several incarnations of this forum.

And about the Granovaskaia comments not being derogatory, "certainly not compared to many other things that have been said about women" is rather disingenious. It's in the category "Can't I pay a compliment anymore these days". Again: when is the last time you complimented a man on his looks, when looks were not the subject at all? And when "other people say worse things" makes a solid defence of sexist language? Do you use that when it concerns a racist remark? As in: very racist is bad, a bit racist is therefore okay?

Edited by Valerie