New Center Backs?

Kev56

1 hour ago, BlackBlue said:

Good point

Obviously I meant do you think he would be a good signing?

I think we need some strong leadership at the back which we lost when JT & Cahill both left. I haven’t watch him close enough to say he’d bring that to the table. 

Zouma won about 3 headers in the first minute which again showed what we're missing when he isn't in. 

I was incredulous that Christensen started and thankfully Watford did nothing to really threaten. The one moment being Wellbeck just brushing past him at the end to create their best moment of the game. 

I think it's a must, none of the current defenders are able to maintain high level  5-6 games straight, let alone a consistent season. If it comes down to another marquee midfielder or defender in the transfer window, I'd pick the defender without a second thought

3 minutes ago, icecoolguy22 said:

I think it's a must, none of the current defenders are able to maintain high level  5-6 games straight, let alone a consistent season. If it comes down to another marquee midfielder or defender in the transfer window, I'd pick the defender without a second thought

I think Dave as been excellent recently. His passion when we scored today was really significant. Loves the club for sure.

But I agree. A marquee centre back would change our fortunes significantly. Hard to find currently though. Someone who organises and inspires confidence in others.

'Upamecano won't leave on a free' - RB Leipzig prepared to sell Arsenal & Bayern target.

The German club's sporting director has given the French defender an ultimatum over his future ahead of the summer transfer window

RB Leipzig centre-back Dayot Upamecano, whose current contract runs until June 2021, has a release clause of €60 million (£54m/$68m) that will expire at the end of this month.

Arsenal reportedly saw a bid for Upamecano turned down before the start of the 2019-20 campaign and are expected to revive their interest this summer, while Bayern have also been tipped to submit an offer of their own.

Leipzig sporting director Oliver Mintzlaff has made it clear that the Frenchman will not be allowed to leave on a free transfer in 2021, while suggesting the club could cash in on a prized asset at the end of the season.

"'Upa' is an extremely important player for us and one of the most sought-after talents in Europe," Mintzlaff told Bild.

"And we can assure that we have a clear understanding with him and his agent he won't leave us on a free. We can't afford that as a club.

"There are only two options: prolong or leave. I am sure we'll soon find out in which direction it's going."

Edited by abramovich

What we need is a leader at at the back.  We were very fortunate we had JT (and Cech I believe).  Liverpool bought it in VVD, United have gone for Maguire (after failing to replace Rio and Vidic).  Most defenders come with built in errors, but a well organised and lead (directed) defence can help minimise the effect of these.

I think we need to find a strong defensive leader, that could come from within or outside.  I hoped Rudiger might provide it, he has played at a high level for several seasons now.  As I think someone else commented, put JT in our current defence and it would improve, because he could read the game, lead and direct others (as well as being a decent defender himself).

3 minutes ago, fester said:

What we need is a leader at at the back.  We were very fortunate we had JT (and Cech I believe).  Liverpool bought it in VVD, United have gone for Maguire (after failing to replace Rio and Vidic).  

You forgot to mention Stones at Man City and Mustafi at Arsenal.

5 minutes ago, fester said:

What we need is a leader at at the back.  We were very fortunate we had JT (and Cech I believe).  Liverpool bought it in VVD, United have gone for Maguire (after failing to replace Rio and Vidic).  Most defenders come with built in errors, but a well organised and lead (directed) defence can help minimise the effect of these.

I think we need to find a strong defensive leader, that could come from within or outside.  I hoped Rudiger might provide it, he has played at a high level for several seasons now.  As I think someone else commented, put JT in our current defence and it would improve, because he could read the game, lead and direct others (as well as being a decent defender himself).

I honestly think attitude and leadership should be high up the list of needs for our new Centre back, we need someone to grab hold of the defense and boss it, its exactly what we are missing. I love Azpilacueta but he isnt that guy, nor is Rudiger though I did think he was going to be early last season. Look at City, they lost Laporte and fell to bits because of the attitude of their squad defenders, lost all kinds of games and needed to draft Fernandinho in to help. That meant they lost his control from midfield which led to a sh*t show of a season for them.

15 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

You forgot to mention Stones at Man City and Mustafi at Arsenal.

I dont think he forgot about those 2....they absolutely are not leaders in any way shape or form.

I missed the sarcasm didnt I 😬

Ha ha, right in the middle of posting about sarcasm you posted...

Edited by dkw

Just a few years ago, Azpi and Alonso was regarded as one of the finest defenders in game, so signing players isn’t always the answer. I personally blame the coaching staff for our terrible our defence is. 

It really should be our priority this summer, change the coaches and fix it. Attacking wise we’re absolutely fine, we’re creating plenty of chances and now we’ve got Werner, Ziyech and possibly Havertz.

We don’t need to go out and spend a fortune on Upamecamo or whatever he’s called. I personally look at him the same as where Zouma was when he joined us, a decent defender with huge potential.

2 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

Just a few years ago, Azpi and Alonso was regarded as one of the finest defenders in game, so signing players isn’t always the answer. 

I'm not sure Alonso has ever been described as a 'fine' or even 'competent' defender. Great fun though. 

14 hours ago, Uno said:

Yep because that’s how you run a successful business 

We are so desperate for a top CB at this point i don't even care. I would happily pay over for a CB knowing they could transform our defence like VVD did for Liverpool

If it was down to me i would sell rudiger, loan out tomori. 

Then assuming Jorginho isnt in lamps plan, i would swap him for Demiral, and also sign Kamara from marseille. 

Bring in a cheap left back who is decent aerially ideally Telles.

Replace Kepa with a keeper that actually saves shots, ideally Onana or Rajkovic. 

Telles Kamara Demiral Azpi/James

Onana

Bit of everything there, and probably net £0. if sell Alonso, Jorginho, Emerson, and Rudiger. 

Better attackers (which are here), LB and GK are more important issues than CB to sort. Unless the CB is bonafide elite those aspects are much more likely to help fix the issues.

What has to be noted is we are up there with Liverpool on XGA and Kepa has the worst save % of any first choice PL keeper since records began.

4 hours ago, big blue said:

Then assuming Jorginho isnt in lamps plan, i would swap him for Demiral, and also sign Kamara from marseille. 

Replace Kepa with a keeper that actually saves shots, ideally Onana or Rajkovic. 

Onana

Bit of everything there, and probably net £0. if sell Alonso, Jorginho, Emerson, and Rudiger. 

It's crazy how no matter what keeper you could see as the replacement for Kepa, he will be taller and he will look stronger. Donnarumma, Onana, Rajkovic are all taller and stronger than Kepa.

4 hours ago, big blue said:

Onana

Rudiger definitely shouldn't be playing for us, but he sure does well as an agent bringing in Werner and Havertz

• coco changed the title to New Center Backs?