Crystal Palace v Chelsea (PL) Tue 7th July 2020 18:00 GMT

“[Kanté] got a small hamstring [injury] that we’ll scan tomorrow to see how bad it is. We hope it’s small, that’s what I’ve been told so far but after the scan tomorrow we’ll know. I’m guessing it will be a problem for Palace on Tuesday.”

1 hour ago, Bluesince66 said:

Palace were total pants yesterday, watch them raise there game against us,and that old fart Hodgson with a smirk on his face.

If we go with the same XI (bar Kante, if injured) then I think we'll be fine.

Palace on 42 are probably safe, Pulisic running at their defense will likely cause issues.

Zaha if he gets service will try and do something as he hopes for a move. 

Benteke, Ayew and our old Gary Cahill from corners could all potentially cause problems if we are not up for the fight.

5 hours ago, Bluesince66 said:

Palace were total pants yesterday, watch them raise there game against us,and that old fart Hodgson with a smirk on his face.

I really can't stand these "they specifically raise their game for us" conspiracy theories.

So kante will be out and probably kovacic too. I don’t want gilmour starting in that role as he seems to get easily over run in midfield. This is where jorginho needs to come in. But for some reason lamps doesn’t rate him.

team I would go with 

kepa 

James christensen zouma azbi 

Barkley jorginho mount 

willian giroud pulisic 

5 hours ago, Jezq8 said:

So kante will be out and probably kovacic too. I don’t want gilmour starting in that role as he seems to get easily over run in midfield. This is where jorginho needs to come in. But for some reason lamps doesn’t rate him.

team I would go with 

kepa 

James christensen zouma azbi 

Barkley jorginho mount 

willian giroud pulisic 

Why would Gilmour get over run? I don't understand this criticism when he's been pretty good for most of the games he has been involved in.

4 minutes ago, Malcolm9 said:

Why would Gilmour get over run? I don't understand this criticism when he's been pretty good for most of the games he has been involved in.

Why would Gilmour start when he’s been pour? He’s been a liability the last two games. It’s amazing how some Chelsea fans will blindly start him over Jorginho or Kante. 

If Kante and Kovacic both out which looks likely I think there is a clear case for Jorginho starting. Not however because of any concern about Gilmour's form. More because there is an argument that we might benefit from a bit of calm experience as we can assume that Mount and Barkley will start. Yes Barkley is fairly experienced but he isn't a calming and controlling influence. It's a lot of pressure to place on Gilmour's very young shoulders. Yes he handled it well earlier in season but this is the ball squeezing CL make or break part of the season and that is a different animal.

Of course the concern is that Jorginho will be as match fit as Robert Maxwell.

6 minutes ago, loz said:

If Kante and Kovacic both out which looks likely I think there is a clear case for Jorginho starting. Not however because of any concern about Gilmour's form. More because there is an argument that we might benefit from a bit of calm experience as we can assume that Mount and Barkley will start. Yes Barkley is fairly experienced but he isn't a calming and controlling influence. It's a lot of pressure to place on Gilmour's very young shoulders. Yes he handled it well earlier in season but this is the ball squeezing CL make or break part of the season and that is a different animal.

Of course the concern is that Jorginho will be as match fit as Robert Maxwell.

Does anyone actually know why Jorginho is not even partaking in games recently? He was doing OK before the break.  There are no media reports of a breakdown with Frank and the club.  Is he on way out I wonder? Juve? There has to be something behind leaving him out. 

The question about Jorginho is good. My own guess its because Frank wants to play direct through the midfield and he thinks Kante is more direct. Its no snub on Jorginho just doesn't in the end suit the attacking style of Frank and is too slow in the defensive role.

The concern over Gilmour is that now opposition teams are going to target him and try and use their stronger physique on him. Mount and Barkely are not the type of guys who add physical presence in the midfield in the way that say Ballack, or Matic or Essien did, however RLC could maybe add the physical side as he gradually runs into form

I would like to see the same defence. Just guessing but I think James needs to play more often to pick up confidence, to an extent I think the same goes for RLC, who had a very long layoff, CHO, who needs match practice for his decision making. Tammy is kind of in the same boat but so long as Giroud has a few games left can stick with him as a starter.

So in the last game Zouma was way better than Rudigier, played the ball better, tackled more professionally and headed the ball well. He was a better option for us for their corners.

Its risky but I think Frank may go with Gilmor over Jorginho. One or the other needs to slot in very quickly to a key role where the games are coming thick and fast. 

1 hour ago, Gol15 said:

Kepa

James Zouma Rudiger Azpilicueta

Gilmour Mount

Willian Barkley CHO

Giroud

Yea

Why would you sit Pulisic, Chelsea’s best player by a significant margin since the restart? CHO also looked very ordinary vs Watford. Also do you expect Mount or Barkley to lead the MF? 

3 hours ago, TheGreatestGame said:

Why would you sit Pulisic, Chelsea’s best player by a significant margin since the restart? CHO also looked very ordinary vs Watford. Also do you expect Mount or Barkley to lead the MF? 

He should start from the bench he played all games and got hit many times. I don't want him to get into any risks so that would be my choice to rest him a bit.

Barkley has recently been good and Mount is a key player, yes I do expect them to lead or whatever, Kante and Kovacic are injured anyway so Gilmour gets to start...

9 hours ago, Malcolm9 said:

Have you not watched the game against Leicester? And the last game against watford? He was a liability, he was miss placing passes, losing possession in dangerous areas. 

It’s too big of a gamble to start him just yet alone  in that holding midfield. We are chasing top4 and every game is a must win 

Have you not watched the game against Leicester? And the last game against watford? He was a liability, he was miss placing passes, losing possession in dangerous areas. 
It’s too big of a gamble to start him just yet alone  in that holding midfield. We are chasing top4 and every game is a must win 

In fairness if you are using the Leicester game to determine selections then we would start against Palace with three players!

Watford he was barely on for ten minutes.

16 hours ago, Argo said:

I really can't stand these "they specifically raise their game for us" conspiracy theories.

I think circumstances can affect games.

The obvious one is the manager throwing his toys out of the pram after poor performances

Another is playing against an old unpopular manager.

The last is raising your game against the big clubs, might be due to getting big attendances so the players are more motivated..

There are also a few statistically strange results I think Middlesbrough playing Man City, Boro normally get a result despite form.