Declan Rice to Chelsea?

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

20 minutes ago, dkw said:

Or considered to be ambition. 

Personal ambition, personal gain = greed. Similar to what Diego Costa did when he decided to play for Spain instead of Brazil.

There used to be a rule that after you already played for a nation you couldn't switch, Rice already played for Ireland so it's not just about his own ambitions here since your nation isn't the same as your club...

I am watching Rice again now. The reason my lad got released and didn't get his pro deal wasn't because he wasn't good enough apparently.  It was because he  wasn't any better than they already had.  I feel the same about Rice. I just cannot see what he offers that we don't already have. I could understand if he was the pivot  and everything went through him but I rarely see that either. I am sure he is a decent player, I'm not saying he's not but I don't see that he is particularly dominant or mobile.

6 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

Personal ambition, personal gain = greed. Similar to what Diego Costa did when he decided to play for Spain instead of Brazil.

There used to be a rule that after you already played for a nation you couldn't switch, Rice already played for Ireland so it's not just about his own ambitions here since your nation isn't the same as your club...

I don't know what your take is.

But declan rice is english. He was born is England. His parents were born in England. However England didn't want him and so he played for ireland. 

He only realised a couple of years ago that he was good enough to play for England and so he switched. Completely within the rules.

Incidentally, you don't get paid to play for England.

Edited by bisright1

24 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

I don't know what your take is.

But declan rice is english. He was born is England. His parents were born in England. However England didn't want him and so he played for ireland. 

He only realised a couple of years ago that he was good enough to play for England and so he switched. Completely within the rules.

Incidentally, you don't get paid to play for England.

I personally don't care if I am to be honest but I can see why someone would not particularly like that a person switches the country which he plays for.

1 hour ago, Gol15 said:

Rubbish. 

On 24/09/2020 at 17:28, axman2526 said:

Does he know Rice personally? Otherwise is probably guess work as he was a Chelsea youth player, a chelsea fan and mates with Mason Mount.

He's well connected in the football world and gets almost every transfer correct.

On 26/09/2020 at 11:46, Spiller86 said:

Beyond performing very well at international level for Wales of course.

Funnily enough also Kante plays lone DM internationally, behind a very attacking lineup. But given he is so undisciplined that must be having a big impact on the team. Can you remind me how France have been doing recently?

In the world cup he played in a pivot.

He did however play lone DM at Euro16 and it went so well he was subbed at half time in the RO16 game and wasn't seen again for the rest of the tournament.

Edited by Argo

2 hours ago, Argo said:

In the world cup he played in a pivot.

He did however play lone DM at Euro16 and it went so well he was subbed at half time in the RO16 game and wasn't seen again for the rest of the tournament.

Look beyond the teamsheet Argo. He played deepest and allowed Pogba and Matudi to get forward. He was also regularly involved in the first phase of play which he is apparently incapable of.

This is the heatmap from the semi against Belgium. Kante is 13. Deep and central. You'll find it replicated regularly throughout the tournament. This idea that Kante can't play that role is arguably one of the worst hangovers of the Sarri era.

Screenshot_20200928-081728_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, Spiller86 said:

Look beyond the teamsheet Argo. He played deepest and allowed Pogba and Matudi to get forward. He was also regularly involved in the first phase of play which he is apparently incapable of.

This is the heatmap from the semi against Belgium. Kante is 13. Deep and central. You'll find it replicated regularly throughout the tournament. This idea that Kante can't play that role is arguably one of the worst hangovers of the Sarri era.

Screenshot_20200928-081728_Chrome.jpg

It's a scary team though, I remember Kante chasing down Messi, he could afford to do his thing because the rest of the team is all world class players part from their keeper... France didn't really care to have possession they were just fine sitting back and waiting for a quick attack due to their world class defense, midfield and attack, the whole World Cup was a walk in the park for them.

Yeah I’m sick to death of footballers all a bunch of greedy bastards

Werner - Could have stayed at Leipzig, had an opportunity to win the Champions League.  He turned it down to come to Chelsea early, why? Because he would get paid more - GREED!
CHO -  Could have taken the first contract offer he was given, but no he waited for better offers forcing the club to give him more money - GREED
Mount - Born and bred in Portsmouth should be playing for them right now, but no at a young age he was already plotting he’s future of gluttony, ideas of playing for a big club that paid BIG wages. Why? -GREED
Kepa - A world class keeper, decides to play sh*t now he’s on top wages, why?  Cause now he can live the life of luxury sitting on the bench every week doing nothing on top wages. - GREED
Rice - Don’t get me started the name Declan is an Irish name meaning GREED

I could go on.  I’ve had enough, from now on I only want players born in Stamford Bridge that get paid what their damn well given, thats LOYALTY.

7 minutes ago, DarkMata said:

Yeah I’m sick to death of footballers all a bunch of greedy bastards

Werner - Could have stayed at Leipzig, had an opportunity to win the Champions League.  He turned it down to come to Chelsea early, why? Because he would get paid more - GREED!
CHO -  Could have taken the first contract offer he was given, but no he waited for better offers forcing the club to give him more money - GREED
Mount - Born and bred in Portsmouth should be playing for them right now, but no at a young age he was already plotting he’s future of gluttony, ideas of playing for a big club that paid BIG wages. Why? -GREED
Kepa - A world class keeper, decides to play sh*t now he’s on top wages, why?  Cause now he can live the life of luxury sitting on the bench every week doing nothing on top wages. - GREED
Rice - Don’t get me started the name Declan is an Irish name meaning GREED

I could go on.  I’ve had enough, from now on I only want players born in Stamford Bridge that get paid what their damn well given, thats LOYALTY.

Here Here

3 hours ago, Deino said:

I don't like Rice but even this is absurd. Football players switch clubs all the time. Why do you care so much if a player is greedy?

If you read through, I don't care personally at all. But I can understand why someone else wouldn't like it, to change a club isn't the same as changing country.

The pinnacle of a player's ambition is probably to play at the World Cup ... you can't blame anyone for doing whatever it takes to realise that ambition ... or indeed for certain countries to try and hoover up talent with vague connections to maximise their chances of team success ... a maternal grandfather that once filled in "Dublin" as a crossword clue and so on. It happens in all sports. Rusedski and Konta playing tennis for GB, numerous "England" cricketers, Lamb, Hick, the Smith brothers, even Ben Stokes is a frigging Kiwi LOL, plus think about all the rugby teams that are full of South Sea Islanders ... even New Zealand play that card !

Rice playing for Ireland, and switching back to England is a complete non-event in sporting terms ! Certainly nothing to do with greed.

Just now, Gol15 said:

If you read through, I don't care personally at all. But I can understand why someone else wouldn't like it, to change a club isn't the same as changing country.

Changing country almost certainly isnt about changing country either, why even bring that kind of thing into a conversation. 

1 minute ago, dkw said:

Changing country almost certainly isnt about changing country either, why even bring that kind of thing into a conversation. 

That's the whole reason why someone brought up loyalty, greed and why you asked the question how is it greedy that he changed to play for England in the first place.

"My nan and granddad are from Cork and they sadly passed away two years ago, so for me to be playing now - and they watched me when I was U16 - to be playing for Ireland now, they'll be looking down on me very proud. My family are very happy that I'm playing with Ireland." Rice played for Ireland U16, U17, U19, U21 and played a few games for the first team as well, I think all were friendly games.

"In December 2018, Rice met with new Ireland manager Mick McCarthy and his assistant, Robbie Keane. McCarthy said that Rice was a potential future captain of Ireland and that he would build the team around Rice should he decide to play for the country." 

He then simply changed his mind, which is why I can understand if someone thinks that his decison doesn't speak that well about him, even if I personally don't care if he plays for either one of those nations.

I was far more bothered to know that Diego Costa chose to play for Spain over Brazil at the World Cup in Brazil, and I fully understand why the Brazilians booed him during the World Cup.

Anyway Rice was the first player to play for both countries, Ireland and England since Jack Reynolds in the 1890s. You would think it wouldn't be that much uncommon... From Wikipedia.

3 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

That's the whole reason why someone brought up loyalty, greed and why you asked the question how is it greedy that he changed to play for England in the first place.

"My nan and granddad are from Cork and they sadly passed away two years ago, so for me to be playing now - and they watched me when I was U16 - to be playing for Ireland now, they'll be looking down on me very proud. My family are very happy that I'm playing with Ireland." Rice played for Ireland U16, U17, U19, U21 and played a few games for the first team as well, I think all were friendly games.

"In December 2018, Rice met with new Ireland manager Mick McCarthy and his assistant, Robbie Keane. McCarthy said that Rice was a potential future captain of Ireland and that he would build the team around Rice should he decide to play for the country." 

He then simply changed his mind, which is why I can understand if someone thinks that his decison doesn't speak that well about him, even if I personally don't care if he plays for either one of those nations.

I was far more bothered to know that Diego Costa chose to play for Spain over Brazil at the World Cup in Brazil, and I fully understand why the Brazilians booed him during the World Cup.

Anyway Rice was the first player to play for both countries, Ireland and England since Jack Reynolds in the 1890s. You would think it wouldn't be that much uncommon... From Wikipedia.

There are numerous occasions of players changing country, this is completely within the rules set by FIFA. Puskas and Di Stefano famously turned out for Spain having previously played for Hungary and Argentina. More recently Wilfred Zaha played at various levels including two friendlies for England before deciding on Ivory Coast. None of them broke any rules. Declan being English decided that he wanted to represent the country of his birth which is fair enough, he is young, young people do change their views as they mature. He broke no rules. 

19 minutes ago, Sexyfootball said:

Rice playing for Ireland, and switching back to England is a complete non-event in sporting terms ! Certainly nothing to do with greed.

This isn't really true if we look at the facts. He didn't switch back to England as he never actually played for England in the first place prior to ditching Ireland that is. He is the second player in history to play for both nations and the first one played for Ireland not knowing that he's English, if we are to trust Wikipedia.

If he's greedy or not that's a matter of a personal opinion, he maybe isn't greedy choosing to play for England but in that case he would be greedy to have played for Ireland and not waiting for a call to play for the nation that he actually wants to play for...

5 minutes ago, dkw said:

Your argument has all been about greed, him moving to England was for personal gain which shows hes greedy. Thats utter nonsense.

54 years of hurt and he's being greedy to want failure and abuse from gobsh*tes on social media as England don't win the world cup again.