Declan Rice to Chelsea?

22 minutes ago, TheGreatestGame said:

Fabrizio was on London is Blue podcast yesterday. He said Chelsea have not spoken to West Ham in a while. Hopefully there is a plan B, C and D as Chelsea needs a defensive midfielder. Perhaps they need to sell off some dead weight first. Not much time left before the October 5 transfer window closes.

I think Reece James is the answer. 

28 minutes ago, TheGreatestGame said:

as Chelsea needs a defensive midfielder

We have two of the best pressing, defensively oriented midfielders in the world in Kante and Kovacic. We have one of the most accurate passers in Jorginho and a rising star in Gilmour. We also have many other unorthodox options like Mount, Ross, RLC and even Reece James that can fill the gap if somehow the other 4 are unavailable. 

Can you please explain to me how the F do Chelsea 'need' that guy?

Edited by Droopy
23 minutes ago, Droopy said:

We have two of the best pressing, defensively oriented midfielders in the world in Kante and Kovacic. We have one of the most accurate passers in Jorginho and a rising star in Gilmour. We also have many other unorthodox options like Mount, Ross, RLC and even Reece James that can fill the gap if somehow the other 4 are unavailable. 

I agree with that butihavetosay those three world class midfielders that I do believe are great nevertheless did a crap job of playing through liver puddle. They were ok Idefensively in h1 but crap at generating attacks. Doubt very much that rice would have changed things. 

1 hour ago, TheGreatestGame said:

Fabrizio was on London is Blue podcast yesterday. He said Chelsea have not spoken to West Ham in a while. Hopefully there is a plan B, C and D as Chelsea needs a defensive midfielder. Perhaps they need to sell off some dead weight first. Not much time left before the October 5 transfer window closes.

I listened the same podcast. I think they will just finalise Mendy and then contact WHU. 

5 hours ago, Droopy said:

And we have Ampadu

On 20/09/2020 at 11:27, charierre said:

Playing devils advocate , how do you think Jorginho would do in a West Ham team especially with his lack of pace?

In a sh*thouse side managed by 2020 David Moyes? The words 'chocolate' and 'teapot' come to mind.

I bet 2013 Brendan Rodgers would love him though!

From watching us last night it seems blindingly obvious to me that we need a player in the mould of Declan Rice. Assuming that Chilwell and Reece James are our starting full backs, we need cover infront of our two centre backs when they push forward. For whatever reason Frank (and previous managers) haven’t fancied Kante in that role and see him as a more dynamic midfielder.
Fernandinho and more recently Fabinho at Liverpool have acted as perfect protection in front of the back 4. Too many times we turn the ball over and the opposition are running at our back 4 (sometimes 2/3) with no cover. 

29 minutes ago, driller97 said:

We need to shift a whole lot of deadwood before we even consider getting Rice. We have sorted out all the incomings for the squad, but now we need to trim it down to a good size and think about bringing back any loanees who have earned a spot in the first team.

I am really surprised the following players are still at the Club;

Kepa, Alonso, Emerson, Christensen (in squad),  and Moses, Rahman, Bakayoko, Drinkwater, Piazon, Van Ginkel, although these players do not have squad numbers, so the Club clearly expect to get rid !! Conservatively, we could recoup in excess of £100million for these chaps, so more than enough to buy Mendy & Rice.

If we have an abundance of CBs as Lampard mentions and we need defensive midfield cover, then coudn't we try one of the ball playing CBs in the role. We may find the answer on our doorstep.

Tomori for example is good on the ball and athletic, he is just wont to the occassional error due to inexperience. If he is in front of a back four these errors may not be as costly as the last line and he may find a niche that really suits him.

I just wonder if we have tried all permuations and elimated any possible candidates from within.

47 minutes ago, coombsie said:

Kepa, Alonso, Emerson, Christensen (in squad),  and Moses, Rahman, Bakayoko, Drinkwater, Piazon, Van Ginkel, although these players do not have squad numbers, so the Club clearly expect to get rid !! Conservatively, we could recoup in excess of £100million for these chaps, so more than enough to buy Mendy & Rice.

I've been saying that for a long time, but it seems we're really struggling to shift these bums. They're just going to get let go for free's next year or just be part of our main squad without ever getting to play

2 hours ago, coombsie said:

Covid is a big issue for alot of other clubs, and with us having so many players, clubs know they can wait until late in the window and get loan deals. 

Hopefully next summer we can get a few more out of the door. 

20 hours ago, ashwin said:

Maybe Ampadu just isn't good enough.

When he's played for us, not many times though, he has looked good imo. He has the quality on the ball and can cover the defensive role, maybe a bit rough but with game time he can be that DM that we are desperate for. I think the loan will do him good but haven't watched any of the Sheffield Utd games and he has played in the Cup and against Villa.

5 hours ago, coombsie said:

In the current climate £70m would sadly be more likely, it's why every other club in Europe seems to want loans, they don't have the cash to splash.