Declan Rice to Chelsea?

8 hours ago, driller97 said:

We need to shift a whole lot of deadwood before we even consider getting Rice.

Has the club mentioned this at some point?

Still waiting to see what's so special about Ampadu. Although I do agree that he is more naturally suited for that position than Rice.

#Chelsea are literally on fire: after #Mendy’s signing #Blues are working to close Declan #Rice’s deal. Talks ongoing with #WestHam (rejected a bid of €50M + add-ons). The midfielder has already agreed personal terms for 5-year contract. #transfers #CFC #WHUFC

5 hours ago, TheGreatestGame said:

Bayern made Alphonso Davies a center back as he was originally a forward. Why not try to convert RLC to a holding/defensive midfielder? 

This has crossed my mind too. He has played Dm a fair bit at youth level aswell. I think he just needs to get some confidence back in his own body now though.

3 hours ago, JM7 said:

#Chelsea are literally on fire: after #Mendy’s signing #Blues are working to close Declan #Rice’s deal. Talks ongoing with #WestHam (rejected a bid of €50M + add-ons). The midfielder has already agreed personal terms for 5-year contract. #transfers #CFC #WHUFC

Fabrizio again?

7 hours ago, RMH said:

When he's played for us, not many times though, he has looked good imo. He has the quality on the ball and can cover the defensive role, maybe a bit rough but with game time he can be that DM that we are desperate for. I think the loan will do him good but haven't watched any of the Sheffield Utd games and he has played in the Cup and against Villa.

This is so true. It bothers me how quickly we discard players who don't boss on loan. Ampadu is what 20? He's been playing international football for years and to my memory never played a bad game for us. Worth another look for sure.

48 minutes ago, rtwelch said:

If we get another player especially for the money being touted it does make the club look a bit like spoilt brats just throwing cash around. 

How long will be before we hear "Chelsea could have used this $300mill to help several football league clubs survive, how selfish of them to spend it on buying players for themselves...they dont care about the game and the welfare of other teams...tut tur..."

9 hours ago, Spiller86 said:

This is so true. It bothers me how quickly we discard players who don't boss on loan. Ampadu is what 20? He's been playing international football for years and to my memory never played a bad game for us. Worth another look for sure.

It seems to me this is now happening more at clubs, young players are given more time to produce and are then being integrated into first teams rather than got rid of. Look at Calvert-Lewin at Everton, was expected to go a few years ago and now is leading their line and on the verge of an England call up. I hope this continues as players all mature at different times and this notion that if they arent first choice by 19 then thats it for them is ridioculous.

I really hope we don't go in for Rice... Especially not for the £60-80M as some are mentioning. He's good, sure. But surely we'd be able to get more from that kind of investment in this climate. 

I was actually feeling like we had the best transfer window in more than ten years before the Mendy and Rice rumours became more serious. Even with Mendy - who IMO looks like a pretty mediocre GK - the window has still been great. I'd hoped for Kepa to grow some  f**king "*"*" and start performing, but unfortunately it seems we're never going to see that.

Don't think Mendy is the answer even though Big Pete was the ones to scout and recommend  him to Marina, according to most rumours.

However, with us using something like £100M for a pretty unkown 27-year-old GK from France and a CDM from a expected relegation-battling team, I'll actually be rather dissapointed. I know, he was a Blue in his young days, and most of our young players know him - especially Mount. He's young, has some decent leadership skills and is probably the first name on the team sheet for WHU. But still. £100M for that and a 27-year-old French GK? 

That's kind of the same as what players like Sancho would cost. I know - not a CB, but I genuinely believe that we'd get players like Donnarumma and Upamecano for the same total amount as Mendy/Rice. I know which pairing I'd prefer.

57 minutes ago, dkw said:

It seems to me this is now happening more at clubs, young players are given more time to produce and are then being integrated into first teams rather than got rid of. Look at Calvert-Lewin at Everton, was expected to go a few years ago and now is leading their line and on the verge of an England call up. I hope this continues as players all mature at different times and this notion that if they arent first choice by 19 then thats it for them is ridioculous.

Lets hope so. For me he's a very solid player who could play a role in the squad. No need for a huge spend on Rice.

35 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

Lets hope so. For me he's a very solid player who could play a role in the squad. No need for a huge spend on Rice.

Ampadu's gone on loan to Sheffield Utd.

If we could ship out Jorginho back to Italy or outside the premier league I would take Rice at this stage. Especially if the fees were similar. Gilmour can also cover defensive midfield. Kante will be on the wane soon and if Ampadu has a decent season at Sheffield he can come back. For me Ampadu has the makings of a top class player and this season will be crucial in his development. He could turn out better than Rice but proven quality now is better.

I have concerns about the high number of new players coming into the squad but the market is relatively cheap this year with certain clubs needing the cash. Frank and Jody will have their work cut out integrating the new crop but if we can buy quality at relatively good prices I can see the sense in that. Rice has leadership qualities and thats something we were seriously lacking last season. I was against the move a few weeks ago because I couldn't see past the goalkeeping problem but we have Mendy now and the window is still open. If the reports of Rice pushing for a move to Chelsea are true he will not be endearing himself to WHU fans and the board may just take decent offer.

For 60-80m we could get Tonali what is a better passer and can score from free kicks, the Gattuso-Pirlo hybrid.

If we get Rice and he keeps passing with around 70% accuracy it won't be long till he becomes the new scapegoat around here.

5 hours ago, Hanzen said:

I really hope we don't go in for Rice... Especially not for the £60-80M as some are mentioning. He's good, sure. But surely we'd be able to get more from that kind of investment in this climate. 

I was actually feeling like we had the best transfer window in more than ten years before the Mendy and Rice rumours became more serious. Even with Mendy - who IMO looks like a pretty mediocre GK - the window has still been great. I'd hoped for Kepa to grow some  f**king "*"*" and start performing, but unfortunately it seems we're never going to see that.

Don't think Mendy is the answer even though Big Pete was the ones to scout and recommend  him to Marina, according to most rumours.

However, with us using something like £100M for a pretty unkown 27-year-old GK from France and a CDM from a expected relegation-battling team, I'll actually be rather dissapointed. I know, he was a Blue in his young days, and most of our young players know him - especially Mount. He's young, has some decent leadership skills and is probably the first name on the team sheet for WHU. But still. £100M for that and a 27-year-old French GK? 

That's kind of the same as what players like Sancho would cost. I know - not a CB, but I genuinely believe that we'd get players like Donnarumma and Upamecano for the same total amount as Mendy/Rice. I know which pairing I'd prefer.

I don't like the way you lump Mendy in as being part of a £100m purchase. Especially when there is no chance we spend £78m on Rice. 

He was £22m. A good price for a keeper of his quality. Someone who we would be able to get over the line. Someone who should provide the quality we need to at least be competitive in the league and who if we decide to go in for a new first team keeper in 12 months time will be a happy back up. 

Donnarumma not a chance we negoatiate with his agent. Upamecano just signed a new contract. They would be over £100m easily. We don't have that cash to spend. 

Edited by bisright1

1 hour ago, Gol15 said:

For 60-80m we could get Tonali what is a better passer and can score from free kicks, the Gattuso-Pirlo hybrid.

If we get Rice and he keeps passing with around 70% accuracy it won't be long till he becomes the new scapegoat around here.

Tonali has just signed for Milan. He quite clearly wanted to stay in Italy. 

So no, we couldn't get Tonali. 

44 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

Tonali has just signed for Milan. He quite clearly wanted to stay in Italy. 

So no, we couldn't get Tonali. 

From what I saw they have the option to buy him but he's not really set in stone as their player just yet.

3 hours ago, bisright1 said:

I don't like the way you lump Mendy in as being part of a £100m purchase. Especially when there is no chance we spend £78m on Rice. 

He was £22m. A good price for a keeper of his quality. Someone who we would be able to get over the line. Someone who should provide the quality we need to at least be competitive in the league and who if we decide to go in for a new first team keeper in 12 months time will be a happy back up. 

Donnarumma not a chance we negoatiate with his agent. Upamecano just signed a new contract. They would be over £100m easily. We don't have that cash to spend. 

And we don't truly know how good Mendy is. Remains to be seen!

On 24/09/2020 at 17:45, TheGreatestGame said:

Bayern made Alphonso Davies a center back as he was originally a forward. Why not try to convert RLC to a holding/defensive midfielder? 

Davies is a full back, RLC was a small of sorts then António said play him up the pitch and everyone laughed, he was useless further back doesn’t work hard enough off the ball.

We have sen his best by far up the pitch under sarri 

16 hours ago, Andy North said:

Ampadu's gone on loan to Sheffield Utd.

If we could ship out Jorginho back to Italy or outside the premier league I would take Rice at this stage. Especially if the fees were similar. Gilmour can also cover defensive midfield. Kante will be on the wane soon and if Ampadu has a decent season at Sheffield he can come back. For me Ampadu has the makings of a top class player and this season will be crucial in his development. He could turn out better than Rice but proven quality now is better.

I have concerns about the high number of new players coming into the squad but the market is relatively cheap this year with certain clubs needing the cash. Frank and Jody will have their work cut out integrating the new crop but if we can buy quality at relatively good prices I can see the sense in that. Rice has leadership qualities and thats something we were seriously lacking last season. I was against the move a few weeks ago because I couldn't see past the goalkeeping problem but we have Mendy now and the window is still open. If the reports of Rice pushing for a move to Chelsea are true he will not be endearing himself to WHU fans and the board may just take decent offer.

I know that Ampadu has gone on loan to Sheffield, I'm just suggesting he can play that role in the long term, which would suggest we don't need Rice, particularly if we stop this ludicrous Sarri experiment of playing Kante as an 8 rather than a 6.

I do agree that we need rid of Jorginho though. He adds very little. 

4 hours ago, Spiller86 said:

I know that Ampadu has gone on loan to Sheffield, I'm just suggesting he can play that role in the long term, which would suggest we don't need Rice, particularly if we stop this ludicrous Sarri experiment of playing Kante as an 8 rather than a 6.

I do agree that we need rid of Jorginho though. He adds very little. 

Kante can't play lone DM because he disappears up the pitch. 

Ampadu has never performed at senior level. He couldn't break into the RB side. Let's see if he can break into Sheffield united before we determine if he is the future or not. 

2 hours ago, bisright1 said:

Kante can't play lone DM because he disappears up the pitch. 

Ampadu has never performed at senior level. He couldn't break into the RB side. Let's see if he can break into Sheffield united before we determine if he is the future or not. 

Yes. If Ampadu was is all that special, we will hear glowing reviews at the end of the season. So let's see. Till then, I will reserve judgement.

On 24/09/2020 at 19:45, TheGreatestGame said:

You must be confusing Davies with Alaba. Davies plays as a winger/wingback, it was Alaba who was moved to the CB spot.

As for moving RLC to DM postion, he doesn't have any characteristics that fit that role. 

Edited by abramovich