Declan Rice to Chelsea?

Marrone

1 hour ago, Spiller86 said:

I agree certainly not for the fees quoted. I also think he is a good player, but I'm not convinced he transforms us into title contenders. I think longer term he may be a Kante replacement.

I'm fairly certain if we sign Rice it will be 50-60m. We are never spending 80m on him. 

Same as with Chilwell. 

If Lampard survives this season, pretty sure we will sign him in the summer. I don't think right now is the time, assume he has his heart set on a Chelsea return and won't renew his contract, the fee will go down a bit in 6 months time.

He would be the vocal leader on the pitch. Havertz, Mount, Kante and Kovacic never open their mouth. Jorginho isn't the solution for us clearly. 

If we can buy him for 50-60m I think we should. I like him as a player and as a person. 

Bringing in Rice could really set us up for the future with a squad which includes Werner, Kai, Mount, CHO, Pulisic, James, & Chilwell that includes 8 first teamers under the age of 25. In a few years time that team could really dominate the Premier League if they all start performing anywhere near their potential would warrant.

4 hours ago, dan_cfc said:

Exactly the type of player we need in midfield, we're crying out for a physical presence in midfield protecting the defence, give the pikeys anything they want for him and get it done.

Fully agree, he's a unit and is exactly what we are lacking.

I think we would have signed Rice if it wasn’t for Havertz. It became clear that we’d be the only club to afford Havertz with the covid situation and it was an opportunity too good to miss out on.

Looking back though maybe it would have been a smarter move to sign Rice instead. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

3 hours ago, Sexyfootball said:

This one now looks dead in the water.

Mainly down to our board not wanting to look stupid at re-signing him for £50M after letting him leave for nothing,

Yep, and on we go with the most physically lightweight midfield by far in the EPL.

Don't need to waste any more money on average players, we have enough of them..see what the new manager comes up with, maybe he'll convince Marina to buy someone decent that can add muscle and grit in the middle.  Certainly will be an interesting few months ahead but I will be shocked if Rice is even in Tuchel's vocabulary. 

10 hours ago, just said:

Yep, and on we go with the most physically lightweight midfield by far in the EPL.

Its so easy to see what were lacking, physically we get dominated in the midfield in the majority of games and Rice is exactly the kind of dominant midfielder we need. But he`s a young English player and not a shiny fancy German/Italian/Spanish lad with a cool name so to some fans he`s rubbish instantly.

9 hours ago, CFCCAN said:

Don't need to waste any more money on average players, we have enough of them..see what the new manager comes up with, maybe he'll convince Marina to buy someone decent that can add muscle and grit in the middle.  Certainly will be an interesting few months ahead but I will be shocked if Rice is even in Tuchel's vocabulary. 

Let's just hope Jorginho isn't in his vocabulary!

Matt Law (and later The Athletic) reported that the board haven't been convinced on Rice and feel he hadn't developed from his youth days - and that (supposedly) Lampard would push for it far more than they would. Whether or not it's the right call, the actual people who run the club think it's not a good plan to sign him, never mind the fans (I would want him here, but not at more than 60m). 

Maybe Tuchel will have an idea of somebody from the Bundesliga - Zakaria could be an option - because I'd be surprised if he doesn't look at our midfield and think its not lacking somebody in the mould of a destroyer.

Edited by MANoWAR

11 hours ago, just said:

It will be interesting to see what happens if (when) Tuchel tells them the same thing ... perhaps Tuchel will be encouraged to wave his magic German wand and turn Bakayoko into a footballer ! 🙂

The club had no problem buying Nemanja Matic back though. Their are other players in defensive midfeild we can look at though, not sure the obsession with Rice when you also have players like Zakaria for example.

Also forget to add the lad bissouma at brighton alsdo looks a really good player.

Edited by jack_super_class

1 hour ago, jack_super_class said:

The club had no problem buying Nemanja Matic back though. Their are other players in defensive midfeild we can look at though, not sure the obsession with Rice when you also have players like Zakaria for example.

Also forget to add the lad bissouma at brighton alsdo looks a really good player.

Just surprises me at how few signings we bring in from other PL clubs & then we are surprised at how long it takes for players to adapt to a new league.

In recent years we've got in Barkley, Drinkwater, Ben Chilwell, Kante, Giroud (I know I've missed quite a few) but considering the number of signings we make the number is miniscule in comparison to someone like Liverpool. (VVD, Mane, Wijnildum, Shakiri, Robertson, Lalana, Ox, Jota, Henderson, Milner even Salah had PL experience with us)

With Matic, I guess that was due to Mourinho who having one a lot of trophies with us before said I can win again and Matic will get us there.

Whereas Frank had not won anything (yet) and the Board were maybe still seeing him as a stop-gap manager so were more reluctant to make purchases a later manager would not want.

Surely Rice is a much better option over the likes of Zakaria or whatever.

Rice is English, a potential future captain, and will most likely stay here for the rest of his career. I can imagine him building up a good partnership with Mount and that could be our midfield set for a decade.

I got to say I am with Frank on this. No doubt the board will spend another 50m on a Carmellos or Cantinho and they turn out to be like Jorginho or Bakayoko.

Edited by dansubrosa

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/01/2021 at 12:15, dansubrosa said:

Surely Rice is a much better option over the likes of Zakaria or whatever.

Rice is English, a potential future captain, and will most likely stay here for the rest of his career. I can imagine him building up a good partnership with Mount and that could be our midfield set for a decade.

I got to say I am with Frank on this. No doubt the board will spend another 50m on a Carmellos or Cantinho and they turn out to be like Jorginho or Bakayoko.

😂