Jump to content

Declan Rice to Chelsea?


Marrone
 Share

Recommended Posts


Posted (edited)

I would love to add Rice not only because he is a world class CDM but he is also our starboy’s bestie. The more I think about it though, in Tuchel’s system with Kante still slaying all, he’s a bit over kill for the price tag. 
 

We struggle against lower teams who sit back and defend. Adding a midfielder who can pot some goals for us would be more beneficial in making a run at the prem title this year. Also gives Tuchel and his tactics some wicked diversity in midfield. I don’t know who that midfielder would be maybe a Soucek or Gundogan esk player. I’d love to steal Marcos Llorente but I don’t see that happening.
 

I think Rice ends up here one way or another. I just don’t think it needs to be this season. Let him keep running the shammers and when King Kante slows down bring him in.

Edited by Mouwry
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Mouwry said:

I would love to add Rice not only because he is a world class CDM but he is also our starboy’s bestie. The more I think about it though, in Tuchel’s system with Kante still slaying all, he’s a bit over kill for the price tag. 
 

We struggle against lower teams who sit back and defend. Adding a midfielder who can pot some goals for us would be more beneficial in making a run at the prem title this year. Also gives Tuchel and his tactics some wicked diversity in midfield. I don’t know who that midfielder would be maybe a Soucek or Gundogan esk player. I’d love to steal Marcos Llorente but I don’t see that happening.
 

I think Rice ends up here one way or another. I just don’t think it needs to be this season. Let him keep running the shammers and when King Kante slows down bring him in.

Rice, on paper, makes a good combination with Kante. We sorely need an upgrade to Jorginho. 

Struggling against midtable side is one thing, but we have to minimize the losses which I think Rice helps a lot in that department. It also gives TT the option to rest Kante without a considerable drop in ball recoveries

Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 02/06/2021 at 02:37, Night-T said:

Is he really worth all that money? 
Aren't there any alternatives that are just as good if not better for a cheaper price? 

This was the argument being made about against Chilwell last summer with people arguing that the likes of Telles and Regulion were better and cheaper alternatives. 

Sometimes you get what you pay for. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm curious to see how Rice does in the Euros, if he shows to be compatible with Mount maybe Tuchel doesn't need to scout a new player but just sign Rice which was what Lampard was going for.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

This was the argument being made about against Chilwell last summer with people arguing that the likes of Telles and Regulion were better and cheaper alternatives. 

Sometimes you get what you pay for. 

I would argue we over paid for Chilwell. He started and ended the season well but for a large part he was completely average. He needs to add consistency and more quality to his game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


You pay more for English players. Period. If you find an identical player to Chilwell in Europe he will cost 15 mill less minimum.

So English players are always over priced but we got quality with Chilwell and we would do again with rice, even if he costs double what ben did.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought we over paid for Chilwell last year, but i think he has had an excellent season overall, and he has looked every bit a £50m player since the international break. 

That being said, I wouldnt say that we should pay the english premium on other players because Chilwell worked out. A lot of very good players have come from europe to england, i would argue most of the expensive english transfers, have been okay but not always a massive success. Would anyone have Maguire over Dias? Sterling over Son? 

Very few bargains to be had signing england internationals.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Matt Law told in the London Is Blue pod it would be hard to get Rice. He would cost a premium and although he is great he don't see us splashing a 100m for him..I also think with Tuchel he is not a priority. I would think Tuchel altough a citizen of the world goes someone he is more close to. Someone he knows from his previous clubs or a german player. You put yourself in a tricky situation with a new big signing if you are unable to utilize him.

Anyway I would abolutely love a charachter like Rice at Chelsea.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 07/06/2021 at 02:02, big blue said:

I thought we over paid for Chilwell last year, but i think he has had an excellent season overall, and he has looked every bit a £50m player since the international break. 

That being said, I wouldnt say that we should pay the english premium on other players because Chilwell worked out. A lot of very good players have come from europe to england, i would argue most of the expensive english transfers, have been okay but not always a massive success. Would anyone have Maguire over Dias? Sterling over Son? 

Very few bargains to be had signing england internationals.

100m for Rice is crazy money. 50m imo is the correct valuation. Hope Rice puts in a transfer request if he's serious. If West Ham doesn't sell now, I don't see how they sign someone who can help them maintain a top 4 challenge. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Posted (edited)
On 23/05/2021 at 00:04, big blue said:

Whats everyone's take on Rice? Think at the prices being talked about £90m in one report, i would steer clear. I would love a more physical option in midfield, but I dont think he is a starter for us personally, and I think there are some big questions about whether he is good enough technically to play through the press against the biggest teams in the biggest games. Thats something I havent seen him do too much yet since West Ham generally sit deep and play on the counter. 

So I don't see him ahead of Jorginho, or Kova regularly, but he is fantastic ball winner, strongas an ox, his passing range is quite good.

I wouldnt be disappointed to see him come here, he brings some intangibles like leadership and determination to the squad, but I would hold off for year or 2,  and see if he price drops as his contract runs down.

Agree about the price, but he would be a massive upgrade on Jorginho in almost every respect.

Playing Rice as a DM would also allow Gilmour to flourish.I

At that price though Bissouma is the player I would go for.

Edited by just
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Serious question. What does Rice actually do to warrant the money and desire to sign. 

This is a genuine question. I only see a fairly average player who rarely commands a game, not whenever I have seen him. Generally seems to follow the ball around and makes a few tackles now and then.

I am clearly missing something.  What are his main attributes and how does he compare to other elite European defensive midfielders. The money being quoted would warrant comparison to Europe's top players in the position 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 05/06/2021 at 14:51, timetowaste said:

£70m is a lot of money to pay for someone just because he’s Mount’s best mate 

He is a LOT more than MM's best mate.  He is a quality defensive midfielder, with leadership skills and real technical ability. He is only going to get better, with players like Kante and Silva to learn from, and teaming him up with MM reminds me a lot of JT and Frank. £70m will be a SNIP !!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, coombsie said:

£70m will be a SNIP !!

£70m considered a snip!!! 
 

If we got him at £70m I think we should definitely go for it, probably a proven Premiership and English premium of £20m in that.

Unfortunately if we go for him I can see WH holding out fir at least 90. They have no real need to sell and have him tied down on a good contract.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Think he has to put in a transfer request to make the deal happen. Westham had hell of a season, but I have the feeling they will struggle next year with the European demand. He achieved everything he could at the club, really should push for a move, and if he does, we have to the favorite, right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


11 hours ago, WhiteWall said:

Serious question. What does Rice actually do to warrant the money and desire to sign. 

He's English. If Rice was a foreign player, playing on the continent, he would be a 40 mill at most. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I reckon if we don't get Haaland we will spend large and get Rice, think there are a lot of moving parts with you who we are trying to get.

Once we get the big spend done then we will go buy the support roles.

If we get Haaland we will buy a top provider, if not Haaland, Rice and a cheaper striker. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, coombsie said:

He is a LOT more than MM's best mate.  He is a quality defensive midfielder, with leadership skills and real technical ability. He is only going to get better, with players like Kante and Silva to learn from, and teaming him up with MM reminds me a lot of JT and Frank. £70m will be a SNIP !!

He’s decent but never worth the hype Chelsea fans give him. If he wasn’t one of our ex academy players/Mount’s mate we’d laugh at the £70m valuation 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rice is:

West Ham's best player. WHU finished 2 points behind us in 6th place. 

He is the leader of the team and the captain in most games.

He is 22

He is part of the core of Team England. 

He seems to be a very likeable and approachable person. A team mate everyone love to have.

What he lacks is goal contributions. Apart from penalties he doesn't really make goals. We have much of this quality in our midfield as it is. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Well, this is awkward!

awkward the office GIF

The Shed End Forum relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible without pop ups, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online and continue to keep the forum up, as over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this domain by switching it off. Some of the advert banners can actually be closed to avoid interferance of your experience on The Shed End.

Cheers now!

emma watson yes GIF

Alright already, It's off!