Declan Rice to Chelsea?

Marrone

Posted (edited)

I don’t think he’d cost 80m. We probably can haggle the price down to 50m if Rice pushes for a move.

All we need to do is make an official bid, something like 30m to turn Rice’s head, and by then hopefully he’ll tell West Ham he wants to join us. He obviously does, having turned down two contract extension offers.

Edited by dansubrosa

Chelsea needs a dynamic midfielder who can defend and also be an offensive. That player is not on the  current roster unless Tuechel moves Mount to midfield. Rice can defend, although he is no where close to Kante's level. However, Rice provides nothing offensively. Thus I don't think Rice is worth more than $40 million. Why not look to see what we have in terms of Gallagher, Amapadu, and possibly consider switching CHO to midfield.

Chelsea need to sell Abraham and Ziyech. Perhaps those sales can help generate funds to acquire Haaland. 

8 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

I don’t think he’d cost 80m. We probably can haggle the price down to 50m if Rice pushes for a move.

All we need to do is make an official bid, something like 30m to turn Rice’s head, and by then hopefully he’ll tell West Ham he wants to join us. He obviously does, having turned down two contract extension offers.

We offer 30mill we pi$$ off west ham and insult Rice lol.

No way he goes for less than huge money.

For one west ham have made it crystal clear they do not wish to sell, for another he has what, 4 years? Left on his deal. No pressure to sell.

This rumours are just shooting at imaginary fish in an empty barrel.

3 minutes ago, TheGreatestGame said:

Chelsea needs a dynamic midfielder who can defend and also be an offensive. That player is not on the  current roster unless Tuechel moves Mount to midfield. Rice can defend, although he is no where close to Kante's level. However, Rice provides nothing offensively. Thus I don't think Rice is worth more than $40 million. Why not look to see what we have in terms of Gallagher, Amapadu, and possibly consider switching CHO to midfield.

Chelsea need to sell Abraham and Ziyech. Perhaps those sales can help generate funds to acquire Haaland. 

Problem found and answered in same thread. Gallagher is mustard, give him game time. Other solution we are loaning to norwich.

I really want Rice, if we get him then we can go to a back four with him sitting in front of it and dropping into the middle of the defenders when needed with kante doing what he does best. Will provide a lot of balance and steel in midfield.

Tuchel plays double-pivot midfield. He wont change that with this crop I am sure. We currently have Jorginho, Kante, Kovacic for those two spots. Mount slots there seamlessly but he is so dangerous further up Tuchel probably wants to free him for that role. That leaves us a bit short now that Gilmour is going to Norwich for the season. We have Barkley and RLC for that spot from our loanees. I think Barkley has played his cards with some idiotic off-field behaviour. He wont feature for us barring a miracle. RLC is still a massive question mark. From the academy setup Conor Gallagher is the closest but I don't see him playing for us next season in a double-pivot.

This is why we probably need to buy one midfielder. We can cope without but that is a bit risky.

Rice is a brilliant young player. His main attribute on top of his apparent skills is his leadership qualities. Maybe this is a stupid comparison but if you look at Azpilicueta and Emerson, Dave is playing almost every game despite not being significantly a more talented footballer in terms of skills. Quiet Emerson almost never plays. This is harsh on Dave but just to make some sort of comparison out there.

21 hours ago, dansubrosa said:

Smaller clubs have a lot more power now as Palace kept showing with Zaha and Spurs will show with Kane.

If Rice has his mind set on leaving eventually his best bet is to ride out the next couple of years until it becomes in West Ham's interest to sell at a reasonable price.

Not convinced Rice is what we  need. This season we only need a bit player. Someone two years ahead of Billy to fill in and maybe develop into role. Rice is far too expensive,nand if you like him, too good for that role. Rice is not a Kante replacement he;s a Jorginho replacement, and is that what we want now? 

I like what I've seen from rice this tournament. If we can get him for a reasonable fee, maybe include a player like tammy or bat's, I think we should sign him. 

Good player, but would like to see more from him. Very safe, lots of good positional play but very few forward passes - all sideways and back. Makes me admire Jorginho a little more. 
That said, teams Rice play in tend to win. Not a coincidence. 

1 hour ago, PhilH930 said:

Good player, but would like to see more from him. Very safe, lots of good positional play but very few forward passes - all sideways and back. Makes me admire Jorginho a little more. 
That said, teams Rice play in tend to win. Not a coincidence. 

While I agree with your post overall I'd say that bold part is a bit of a stretch.

For all we know besides finishing 6th last season, West Ham went out early of the cups, only managed to finish 16th on the season before and England is yet to win anything, could just as well pull up a Spurs at any moment. 

And if that same argument is valid, then we already have Mr. Europa League and CL winner who is just as likely to win the Euro. Nevertheless I'd buy him for a good price, anything above the 40-50m range is just nonsense for what he'll be asked to do tho... 

His price will have hardly gone down lol 

Dont are him being allowed to go. Maybe next summer if he does not sign a new deal. 2 years left West ham will know they will lose money if they keep him then.

4 hours ago, Brigadeiro said:

While I agree with your post overall I'd say that bold part is a bit of a stretch.

For all we know besides finishing 6th last season, West Ham went out early of the cups, only managed to finish 16th on the season before and England is yet to win anything, could just as well pull up a Spurs at any moment. 

And if that same argument is valid, then we already have Mr. Europa League and CL winner who is just as likely to win the Euro. Nevertheless I'd buy him for a good price, anything above the 40-50m range is just nonsense for what he'll be asked to do tho... 

Good points.  My comment was a generalization - agree with your assessment.  

Matt Law said Chelse have been quoted £100m by West Ham and if the price comes down to £70m, he said “things could get interesting”. 

I think the club would be ok with a £50-60m figure - similar to Chilwell’s fee. £70m plus is too much for him. He is a good player but not world class. 

11 minutes ago, JM7 said:

Matt Law said Chelse have been quoted £100m by West Ham and if the price comes down to £70m, he said “things could get interesting”. 

I think the club would be ok with a £50-60m figure - similar to Chilwell’s fee. £70m plus is too much for him. He is a good player but not world class. 

He's 22. Time is on our side on this one. Three years left on his deal. We can afford to wait until the price comes down and still get his best years.

Apparently Camavinga is available for only 30m which would be much cheaper than what Rice would cost. Rice doesn't seem to offer much offensively either even compared to Jorginho

I've been thinking about it and if I could have two transfers this summer it would be Rice and Haaland. I think he has earned a transfer to us, with the back story of being let go and then working hard to the point the two most recent coaches both want him. 

Also he said his dream 5 a side would be him along side Mount, Havertz, Kante and someone else. That's got me thinking he really wants to play for us. Mount's his best mate and the chemistry is already strong in this squad I can only see him being a long term gain even if we are stacked in the middle atm.

Jorginho is 29, Kova is 26/27 and Kante is 29 so I think getting a top class mid around the age of 22 will last us for a good while.

It's just the price, £100m is too much, if we can just get a cheeky deal that would be great. We need to move our deadwood and then maybe a £70m deal with add ons of like 5-10m wouldn't be as bad. Personally I'd like a deal of like £60m and we give them Barkles.

We were desperate for him in Lampard's 4-3-3 but I worry about his ability on the ball in Tuchel's double six. Think he struggled against the teams that sat deep in the early stages of the Euro and we'd almost certainly lose a lot offensively with Rice replacing Jorginho let's say.