Man Utd v Chelsea (FA-Semi) Sun 19th July 2020 18:00 GMT

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

1 hour ago, rtwelch said:

Interesting that we played well again with Jorginho & Kovacic as the midfield two... would quite like us to stick with that  

I think it worked against Utd because of how they play though not for every team.

I would be tempted to use this against Wolves.

I guess Oly is worried enough about Antonio on Wednesday that he thought he needed to rest Pogba, Martial and Greenwood.

Moyes should be able to keep his squad up for one more game ...for some sweet revenge. They're the early game before us.

2 hours ago, Gandalf Greyhame said:

Never posted here after a loss to Chelsea - hope this doesn't become a regular thing. ?

The better team won today - no doubt. We were tired and had 2 days less rest than Chelsea, and the correct approach was to high press the hell out of United, which we're tactically susceptible to anyways. You had the ball in better areas and took more initiative. You also pushed your wingbacks so high up the pitch that Rashford had to keep dropping back in the whole first half, which took away the only threat we had going forward. Bruno was good but he had no one to pass out to. Lampard clearly watched how Southampton troubled us and the mistakes were repetitive. Credit to Reece James, Alonso and Azpi who had terrific games and snuffed out any chances we might create. Giroud's movement today was very good as well. Ole clearly had the right idea when he predicted and tried to match 3 at the back, but the moment Bailly went off we lost all shape and immediately conceded. Since then Lampard outclassed and outthought us, and you didn't even have to bring on Pulisic. 

De Gea had 2 howlers - they're getting more frequent these days. He's won 4 POTY awards for us and has been our only consistently world class player since SAF left, but he's just fallen off a cliff since the World Cup debacle. We're at a very awkward place where a club legend is single handedly losing games for us. I have no idea how Ole will handle this - since DDG still has 3 years left on a mega contract. Henderson is clearly the better keeper on form, but how can you just dump a 29 yo keeper who still has world classes reflexes in some games?

I have to also acknowledge Jose and Lampard's comments on the refs favouring United worked all game. Chelsea committed 20+ fouls and got away without a single card. I understand a Chelsea forum might not agree, but that was foul by Zouma on Martial and should have been a penalty. Rudiger/Azpi/Kovacic in particular kept committing City-esque tactical fouls and got away with it, and United didn't have an answer for that. Perhaps it's karma for all the luck we had against Palace.

Just an overall bad day in office - our unbeaten run had to end at some point. 

Most of this assessment is spot on however the Martial ‘foul’ wouldn’t have been a penalty regardless. It was outside the box. 

1 hour ago, The Brit said:

If you’re miserable after that win, there’s no hope for you

Iam happy as pig in muck with the win fella , just not going to throw all my eggs into the basket after the sheff utd showing 

1 hour ago, JM7 said:

Agree on Pogba. As good as he can be, I wouldn’t want him in Chelsea’s team. Bruno and James though both look excellent signings. 

Reckon Ole will keep his job or do you think they’ll bottle it and sack him for Mo Po?

In early December, it felt like it was a matter of days when Poch would be announced. We were closer to relegation than to Liverpool. Then Ole pulled out a string of results out of nowhere that bought him some time. In January again, after losses to Watford and Burnley, it felt like he would be gone by season end - good manager, but not good enough for Man United.

Then we signed Bruno, and went on a 19 game unbeated run that you lot ended today where we scored 50 goals and conceded only 8 (2 of them were DDG howlers, again). This was the first time we had our best XI fit and playing together, and though we knew it was a purple patch, I'd argue we were one of the best attacking sides in the country during this run. We played the best football since SAF during this time, and some of the link-up play between Bruno-Pogba and Martial-Rashford was beatiful. Rashford and Martial both hit and crossed the 20 goal mark and Mason Greenwood ended up with more goals than Firmino. Jose had given up on Pogba, Fred, Shaw and Martial. Under Ole, they've been nothing short of brilliant this season, especially since the turn of the year. 

When we had started the season, I felt that top four would be the best case scenario given the squad we had. In December, Europa League places felt unachievable. Now somehow we're in a position where we could even end up in 3rd. It's been a roller coaster, but progress is evident. Just like young players with potential take time to iron out the inconsistencies, feels like Ole is learning on the job, too. 

Ole will get the whole of next season for sure if we actually make it to CL, now. He'll be backed in the transfer window and if  we finish top four again next season, he'll get the season after that and be backed again. This is the first time the term 'rebuilding' actually seems to make sense, and the future looks exciting. He may end up not winning anything with us at all, but when he leaves I feel confident that we'll have a solid foundation for someone better to take over. And that itself is far better than any of Moyes, LVG or Jose. 

In fact, if we end up 3rd, I'd argue this season has been better than the one where Jose got us to finish 2nd behind City. That side, led by Zlatan, had peaked and could only go downhill, and this side led by Rashford is a polar opposite and will only get better. 

45 minutes ago, Gandalf Greyhame said:

In early December, it felt like it was a matter of days when Poch would be announced. We were closer to relegation than to Liverpool. Then Ole pulled out a string of results out of nowhere that bought him some time. In January again, after losses to Watford and Burnley, it felt like he would be gone by season end - good manager, but not good enough for Man United.

Then we signed Bruno, and went on a 19 game unbeated run that you lot ended today where we scored 50 goals and conceded only 8 (2 of them were DDG howlers, again). This was the first time we had our best XI fit and playing together, and though we knew it was a purple patch, I'd argue we were one of the best attacking sides in the country during this run. We played the best football since SAF during this time, and some of the link-up play between Bruno-Pogba and Martial-Rashford was beatiful. Rashford and Martial both hit and crossed the 20 goal mark and Mason Greenwood ended up with more goals than Firmino. Jose had given up on Pogba, Fred, Shaw and Martial. Under Ole, they've been nothing short of brilliant this season, especially since the turn of the year. 

When we had started the season, I felt that top four would be the best case scenario given the squad we had. In December, Europa League places felt unachievable. Now somehow we're in a position where we could even end up in 3rd. It's been a roller coaster, but progress is evident. Just like young players with potential take time to iron out the inconsistencies, feels like Ole is learning on the job, too. 

Ole will get the whole of next season for sure if we actually make it to CL, now. He'll be backed in the transfer window and if  we finish top four again next season, he'll get the season after that and be backed again. This is the first time the term 'rebuilding' actually seems to make sense, and the future looks exciting. He may end up not winning anything with us at all, but when he leaves I feel confident that we'll have a solid foundation for someone better to take over. And that itself is far better than any of Moyes, LVG or Jose. 

In fact, if we end up 3rd, I'd argue this season has been better than the one where Jose got us to finish 2nd behind City. That side, led by Zlatan, had peaked and could only go downhill, and this side led by Rashford is a polar opposite and will only get better. 

Honestly I go on a lot about us not having enough pundits on Sky, ITV, BBC and BT compared to the other teams, but honestly, I think your pundits especially have done more harm than good. They will not come out and say Ole needs sacking, it was the exact same with Arsenal pundits with Wenger for years, always gave him ridiculous protection after years of failure and serious downgrade, because why would they dare speak out about their ex manager? Keane, Ferdinand and Scholes absolutely ripped into Jose for less, but they let Ole off the hook. 

Ferdinand was saying "Give him a contract right now! Give him anything he wants, he's the man!" Just because he beat PSG and had a decent run of form. As Chelsea fans we know this better than anyone, it's called the honeymoon period, when one manager leaves and the players are playing like piss beforehand, they suddenly start playing good and play off the positivity from the manager leaving. 

I think I've gone over this with you before, either you or someone else, so forgive me if I'm repeating myself here. But remember when Di Matteo won an F.A. Cup and a Champions League and Roman was still tempted to give someone else the job? It took until late June to finally give him the contract even though our fans were screaming for it. And what happened? He was sacked instantly in November after we lost 3-0 to Juventus. Yet United gave Ole the contract after a bit of good form... Someone up there isn't making the correct decisions at all, he's not good enough for that job it's clear as day. And that Ferdinand rant after the PSG game has aged like milk, they really pure pressure on your board to give Ole the job. 

2 hours ago, ddrblue said:

Iam happy as pig in muck with the win fella , just not going to throw all my eggs into the basket after the sheff utd showing 

That’s a different thing altogether and I know where you’re coming from. Enjoy the win yes, but no good beating Utd if we lose to arsenal like we did in 2017. Also this team can go from one extreme to another and it’s vital they maintain standards set today against Liverpool and Wolves to secure top 4 spot. 

6 hours ago, Slojo said:

Have to play this formation until the end of the season now, got 3 difficult games coming up. 

I agree for Wolves and Arsenal but absolutely not for Liverpool.

They're the one team who are systematically suited to overwhelming a 3atb formations, everyone who's tried it Vs them with the exception of Conte's Chelsea have got battered.

Salah and Mane take devastating advantage of the half spaces between the wingback and outside CB.

5 hours ago, ddrblue said:

Just re watching the 3 cfc goals and two was mistakes by their keeper ,infact the 3rd was their keepers fault awswell  hence to say are we getting beyond our sens with own knicker wetting over this win > if their keeper was on top form and not made those 3 mistakes ,would we be sat watching extra time and pens ? 

or is it just me been a bar humbug 

And if Tim Krul saved every shot he faced this season Norwich would have won the league.

Reminded me of the performance away to Tottenham.  If we can press and tackle with that intensity we are unstoppable. 

Reece and Mount were superb ,Willian is running around like a 20 year old all season.

Whatever happens , this season has loads of positives, I've enjoyed it as much as any title winning season considering the situation we were in.

come on you Blues !

10 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

I think it worked against Utd because of how they play though not for every team.

I would be tempted to use this against Wolves.

Frank clearly went for experience as far as I am concerned.  Willy, Dave, Alonso, Kovacic, Jorginho, Willian, Giroud  arguable Zouma ..... I reckon that was his master stroke for me.  Will be interesting what he sticks with, one thing I was critical of him since the lock down was he doesn' t know his first 11, he has gone some way to make amends in my mind. Just think if we had beaten The pickeys and at least draw vs Sheff Utd,  he could be resting players now.     

11 hours ago, Argo said:

They're the one team who are systematically suited to overwhelming a 3atb formations, everyone who's tried it Vs them with the exception of Conte's Chelsea have got battered.

Salah and Mane take devastating advantage of the half spaces between the wingback and outside CB.

I definitely agree with you on salah and mane taking advantage of the spaces between the wingbacks and the outside Cb's and i also think their fullbacks are so attacking unlike UTD's  that Mount and Willian will be too busy tracking back instead of being play makers but Arsenal actually played 3 at the back against Liverpool in their last match and won by pressing Liverpool high up the pitch and forcing those uncharacteristic mistakes from Allison and Van Dijk . I just dont know if our players have the legs to do the same especially after our pressing game against the Mancs . I wont mind us switching to a 433 and playing deep with the aim to hit them on the break like we did against Man city but only if Kante is fit to start in the DM position.

5 hours ago, andy said:

I agree, so much better when he doesn't have to defend !  

I have to disagree with you there - Reece James defended well - part of the reason was that Dave was there to assist on his positioning & together they nullified the runs on the right flank - ok you can make the argument that Williams wasn't up to the task for Yanited, but that is a manure issue

Only one team in that match. Chelsea controlled from start to finish, except for one of two periods when we started to look interested. OK, so you had an extra 48 hours of rest and maybe that did play a part, but our tactics were terrible and the team selection was too. Maguire was awful, De Gea was awful, and Bailly is always a disaster waiting to happen. He must train with Phil Jones. What really got up my nose though was the cavalier attitude towards a cup semi-final. It is clear that Ole wants top four and that is the priority. We've turned into Arsenal, grubbing round for crumbs from the top table. We may get a top four spot but we'll only be there to make up the numbers and to fill the pockets of the Glazers.

Lampard got his tactics right from the very start. We were pinned back in our own half and only Fernandes looking capable of igniting something, but he seems to have gone off the boil. Understandable, but where were our wide players? Good luck in the final. Arsenal will give you more of a fight than we did but it should be a good game.

13 hours ago, Argo said:

Agreed.  The one thing you don't want is Alonso and Rudiger in two minds. 

2 minutes ago, Stretford Ender said:

Only one team in that match. Chelsea controlled from start to finish, except for one of two periods when we started to look interested. OK, so you had an extra 48 hours of rest and maybe that did play a part, but our tactics were terrible and the team selection was too. Maguire was awful, De Gea was awful, and Bailly is always a disaster waiting to happen. He must train with Phil Jones. What really got up my nose though was the cavalier attitude towards a cup semi-final. It is clear that Ole wants top four and that is the priority. We've turned into Arsenal, grubbing round for crumbs from the top table. We may get a top four spot but we'll only be there to make up the numbers and to fill the pockets of the Glazers.

Lampard got his tactics right from the very start. We were pinned back in our own half and only Fernandes looking capable of igniting something, but he seems to have gone off the boil. Understandable, but where were our wide players? Good luck in the final. Arsenal will give you more of a fight than we did but it should be a good game.

If there is something that Chelsea fans have been feeling in the recent years it's the shaky back-line and loose keeper dropping points for us so I do feel much sympathy for you, it's never a good feeling when you concede a goal that you really didn't need to.

IMO Lindelöf and Bailly were great signings for you on paper and they weren't that much expensive, I guess sometimes things just don't work out, Maguire was always a bit overrated and that should hurt more, he really isn't a new Rio.

We have played much more with the 3 at the back compared to you and some of our players like Alonso are the best in that formation so it was natural that our players are more comfortable with it from the get go. Even so I'm sure that Ole wouldn't have changed the formation if Bailly didn't get injured, it's only fair to say that a lot of things went wrong for you guys, soft goals and a big injury that changed the whole game plan is obviously never ideal...

Thank you for the best wishes in the final, after all said and done this season you scored 9 goals against us and we have made 4 so I'm looking forward to the next season, our games will only get hotter and better. Take care.