Chelsea v Wolves (PL) Sun 26th Jul 16:00 GMT

Wow with so much emotion barely anyone posted with stuff on the game yesterday.. but just a small shout out to Lamps for his tactical switch... We all were worried when Traore came on.. but to counter that specific threat especially on the counter, i think Lamp made a tactical switch..

Given the threat of AT, Kova moved much closer to Alonso on the left and they along with Rudi, double/triple teamed to nullify that threat.. Which also meant moving Reece much more central and providing an extra man in the midfield.. and it helped that Reece spent half season at Wigan playing that position.... his through ball for Mount was sublime in the second half.. This system was a little similar to what Pep's FBs do regularly..

I wasn’t onboard with lampard getting the job at the start. Too inexperienced I thought. But from the time he sold Luiz I started to reconsider. He’s part of what looks like a happy Enough group of players. He respects the values of football. 

4 minutes ago, ozboy said:

I wasn’t onboard with lampard getting the job at the start. Too inexperienced I thought. But from the time he sold Luiz I started to reconsider. He’s part of what looks like a happy Enough group of players. He respects the values of football. 

I was similar, also changed my mind pretty quickly and was delighted to be proven wrong. Most enjoyable time to be a fan in ages and this season has brought me more pleasure than some of our title-winning ones. FA cup final not going our way (got a feeling they might nick it but hope to be proven wrong again) won’t change that.

What an odd game with something riding on it for both sides.

Wolves have the better of the first half but they created zip all with it. That one cross, which apparently was going off target anyway, the sum total of it.

Then their defence sh*t the bed royally on them. Not a free kick imo Alonso went down too easily, less comically than Mane but still. Wolves fault for an awful attempt at a clearance they had a few chances at.

Then Conor Coady...lol were you too busy getting p*ssed  celebrateing your boyhood teams league win. First you are 5 yards too deep playing Olly onside and then Looked like a drunkard as Giroud turned him inside out for the goal.

If Rudiger had defended like that he would have got slaughtered over 4 pages on here.

After that what did they offer second half? A tame shot straight at Willy? Poor linkup and pressing. They just mentally gave up.

We never needed to get out of second gear second half. Easiest game we have had in some time.

Job done, cracking league season from Lamps and the boys. Disappointed for Leicester though.

41 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Btw does not 4th place give us a CL qualifying game not a group stage place? Probably end up with our Italian or German counterpart.

No we go straight in. Think it’s been the case for a few years now that the Spanish English and Italian 4th place team is now auto and no quali required.

14 hours ago, ddrblue said:

I do because if you doing it to protect your knees ,you have a good chance of taking the been soft option onto the pitch > unlike 

john terry who did it but his mindset was bang on 

You're chatting absolute waffle. No ones doing it to protect their knees, its a thin layer of cotton not carbon fiber. It's literally just a height of sock.

The players were up for this one. The energy levels and commitment alone would have beaten most teams but if you throw in some better quality it seems like an easy win compared to some others we've had this season. I saw a heightened awareness of defensive duties with the midfield players getting goal side more often. I also thought the center halves looked a bit more confident with Willy in goal. In fairness Wolves really didn't create that much anyway. The midfield shut them down successfully with Kovacic falling a bit deeper. For me he is the most improved player this season. Yes others have come in and done really well but of the players who were in the team last year he has kick on the most. (Maybe Giroud)

I was surprised Wolves faded as they did in the second half. They had a much longer break preceding this match and a reputation for coming back in matches. I just think Chelsea had that bit more quality, depth and mental strength.

Yet again Chelsea come good when it counts. 

Obviously euphoric over yesterday's result and more importantly performance. I thought we handled the second half of the match supremely well. Althoguh we must still sort out our defensive organization. On at least 2-3 occasions yesterdays a single ball through the middle and we had Rudi alone at the back with a one on one situation. Zouma recovered on one and, i'm thinking, Kovacic (?) on another. Play with that Gung Ho spirit or lack of concentration/discipline against Auba next week and we could be in trouble. There were are couple of instances where Rudi was charging all over the pitch for the ball (calm down young man). It worked yesterday so no real complaints but this is where a lot of our cock ups have come from (West Ham for example)

Now Roman has the big decision  to make...with the transfer ban lifted and significant monies being spent on new players, does he stick with FL and allow him the time to develop his own managerial career or does he look elsewhere for an experienced manager like Pochettino...what's people's thoughts?

2 minutes ago, doctorblue said:

Now Roman has the big decision  to make...with the transfer ban lifted and significant monies being spent on new players, does he stick with FL and allow him the time to develop his own managerial career or does he look elsewhere for an experienced manager like Pochettino...what's people's thoughts?

Is this a serious question?

If so, you are out of your mind for even asking.

21 minutes ago, doctorblue said:

You must be the most obvious troll on here

26 minutes ago, doctorblue said:

I shouldn't have to read stuff  like this on a wet Monday morning.

16 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Nice that we’re in a position to give Pedro a farewell run out. He’s been a terrific servant for us since he signed and added a whole host of trophies to his cabinet! Never heard him grumble even when he fell down the pecking order, what more can you ask for. A consummate professional & an extremely likeable bloke.

Has to be one of the most loved players I think we've ever had in recent memory.

2 hours ago, doctorblue said:

Christ on a bike. Really?

10 hours ago, Jangz said:

Wow with so much emotion barely anyone posted with stuff on the game yesterday.. but just a small shout out to Lamps for his tactical switch... We all were worried when Traore came on.. but to counter that specific threat especially on the counter, i think Lamp made a tactical switch..

Given the threat of AT, Kova moved much closer to Alonso on the left and they along with Rudi, double/triple teamed to nullify that threat.. Which also meant moving Reece much more central and providing an extra man in the midfield.. and it helped that Reece spent half season at Wigan playing that position.... his through ball for Mount was sublime in the second half.. This system was a little similar to what Pep's FBs do regularly..

I noticed Reece playing inside but hadn't made the connection around Traore. Tbh that first 15 until Wolves made their other changes was the best we played. Totally controlled the game 

3 hours ago, doctorblue said:

I hear Pardew is available now that his Newcastle contract has expired

4 hours ago, doctorblue said:

Lol. F*ck Poch

9 hours ago, axman2526 said:

What an odd game with something riding on it for both sides.

Wolves have the better of the first half but they created zip all with it. That one cross, which apparently was going off target anyway, the sum total of it.

Then their defence sh*t the bed royally on them. Not a free kick imo Alonso went down too easily, less comically than Mane but still. Wolves fault for an awful attempt at a clearance they had a few chances at.

Then Conor Coady...lol were you too busy getting p*ssed  celebrateing your boyhood teams league win. First you are 5 yards too deep playing Olly onside and then Looked like a drunkard as Giroud turned him inside out for the goal.

If Rudiger had defended like that he would have got slaughtered over 4 pages on here.

After that what did they offer second half? A tame shot straight at Willy? Poor linkup and pressing. They just mentally gave up.

We never needed to get out of second gear second half. Easiest game we have had in some time.

Job done, cracking league season from Lamps and the boys. Disappointed for Leicester though.

I actually thought we edged it first half though it was close.

I agree about Alonso winning the free-kick which seemed justice for when Alonso clearing with his head from LB was kneed in the back.

I also thought Giroud slightly pulled Coady yet pleased VAR didn't see it that way and Olly showed great persistence to get on the end of it.

Pulisic didn't have much joy with his dribbles I recall him losing the ball at least 4 times though fortunately did well for the second goal. 

I thought Mount did well on the right and especially with the free kick.

I generally thought the team did well though to be fair to Wolves they had a couple of chances they might have done better with.

I also thought especially first half Wolves were over physical with a number of borderline fouls.

Traore threatened briefly to have an impact yet we seemed to have two men cover him and he was snuffed out.

12 hours ago, Jangz said:

Given the threat of AT, Kova moved much closer to Alonso on the left and they along with Rudi, double/triple teamed to nullify that threat..

IMO it wasn't that hard. Frank just needed to deploy a good scrum-half to stop Traore :Troll_Face:

Ed3wZe3WAAAXo96?format=jpg&name=small

6 hours ago, doctorblue said:

As an oppo fan, that has to be a non-starter. Lampard has the makings of a top manager. Chelsea have been up there all season and he has made the best use of his players to keep them there. Chelsea are still in the CL, you've done some good business in the market already and you're in the FA Cup final. Oh, and you've qualified for next season's CL too. Not a bad first season for a new manager.

3 hours ago, Stretford Ender said:

As an oppo fan, that has to be a non-starter. Lampard has the makings of a top manager. Chelsea have been up there all season and he has made the best use of his players to keep them there. Chelsea are still in the CL, you've done some good business in the market already and you're in the FA Cup final. Oh, and you've qualified for next season's CL too. Not a bad first season for a new manager.

That's a logical way of thinking. We are not your normal club. We had a club legend(di matteo) win us the champions League and he was fired 7 months later. If we have a terrible start to the season after spending so much the media will put the pressure on us and lampard especially, and we all know Chelsea can be a trigger happy club. That being said with Cech upstairs and super frankies affiliation with the fans we won't sack him during the season unless we are in the relegation zone or there is a case of palpable discord .