• Barkley
    • Mount
    • Pulisic
    • Abraham
    • Giroud
    • Willian
    • Azpilicueta

Just now, Gol15 said:

When was the last time someone made 20 assists in the PL? And you dare to compare him with Kovacic that is notorious for his lack of end product? When a midfielder has that kind of a season it's just silly to try to compare him with anyone else he's clearly the best, try to argue with real Man City fans about this and you look ridiculous and super biased.

Soon enough someone will say that Willian is basically Messi.

I don't know why you're so upset just because I think KDB is overrated. He is playing in a superior squad and is obviously a fine player. But he's also playing OM/CM compared to Kovas DM/CM, he has very few defensive duties and he's massively profiting from their crazy good run. Good for him. Put him into the Burnley midfield and you'll see wether he can replicate those stats.

The bit about the "real City fans" is confusing though. If you want to discuss and praise KDB with City fans this is probably not the right place.

1 minute ago, Vagabond said:

I don't know why you're so upset just because I think KDB is overrated. He is playing in a superior squad and is obviously a fine player. But he's also playing OM/CM compared to Kovas DM/CM, he has very few defensive duties and he's massively profiting from their crazy good run. Good for him. Put him into the Burnley midfield and you'll see wether he can replicate those stats.

The bit about the "real City fans" is confusing though. If you want to discuss and praise KDB with City fans this is probably not the right place.

Forgive me for being realistic, that's all.

37 minutes ago, Vagabond said:

I remember his assist to Kanté against City and I think Eden praised his vision too last year. 

I also don't think KDB is some kind of god, he's playing in a much stronger squad without any FFP restrictions -or so it seems- while we were dealing with a transfer ban. I think you should reserve your judgement about Kovacics assists and goals until next season when we're not playing Sarriball or transfer restristrictions. If it doesn't get better by then, you're 100% correct.

KDB is world class and the best midfielder in the premier league and one of the best in europe. You wont find many who disagree with that, his vision, passing and crossing is out of this world. Kova is nowhere near the same level as KDB so I dont even know why comparisons are being made. 

Why does someone have to reserve judgment about Kovacic's assist and goals record after 2 years at the club? Transfer bans dont stop a player from shooting. 

10 hours ago, The Swan said:

I went with the unsung hero of Azpilicuete. Our defence struggled this year at times but he was most reliable defender. He came back after lockdown superfit and focussed. He is the consummate professional and gives everything for Chelsea when he plays. I hope longer term he stays on in a coaching capacity at the club. Very underrated and unappreciated at times, his last third of the season was exceptional.

Love Azpi. He has been Mr consistent in his time here and as you rightly say, is the consummate professional. However, I don't think he's had a great season. Yes, still the pick of our defenders and no doubt his game has suffered by us struggling defensively as a whole, but I've never seen him lose so many duels as he has this season, both on the deck and in the air. No way I could vote for any of our defenders as POTS with so many dreadful performances and all those goals conceded.

22 minutes ago, Ernie_blue said:

KDB is world class and the best midfielder in the premier league and one of the best in europe. You wont find many who disagree with that, his vision, passing and crossing is out of this world. Kova is nowhere near the same level as KDB so I dont even know why comparisons are being made. 

Why does someone have to reserve judgment about Kovacic's assist and goals record after 2 years at the club? Transfer bans dont stop a player from shooting. 

What are you talking about. I didn't even compare them, lol.

I was just responding to part of a post that said Kova had none of the mentioned abilities (passing range, vision and shooting) and that I think KDB isn't some kind of god. So @Gol15 hit me with a "how dare you" and "what would the City fans say?" and you now echoing how much superior KDB is. They're playing in the same league. When they play against each other I simply don't see the demigod KDB is supposed to be. I hope that doesn't offend you.

Edited by Vagabond

10 minutes ago, Vagabond said:

What are you talking about. I didn't even compare them, lol.

I was just responding to part of a post that said Kova had none of the mentioned abilities (passing range, vision and shooting) and that I think KDB isn't some kind of god. So @Gol15 hit me with a "how dare you" and "what would the City fans say?" and you now echoing how much superior KDB is. They're playing in the same league. When they play against each other I simply don't see the demigod KDB is supposed to be. I hope that doesn't offend you.

Do you watch the other 36 league games to see how good KDB is? Tbh Kova doesnt really have that great passing, vision or shooting ability specially as KDB is around the best midfield player for all those and Kova doesn't come close. Its just not Kova's game, its the biggest fault I would find with all of Chelsea's centre midfielders as Kante looks the most threatening.

42 minutes ago, Nibs said:

Love Azpi. He has been Mr consistent in his time here and as you rightly say, is the consummate professional. However, I don't think he's had a great season. Yes, still the pick of our defenders and no doubt his game has suffered by us struggling defensively as a whole, but I've never seen him lose so many duels as he has this season, both on the deck and in the air. No way I could vote for any of our defenders as POTS with so many dreadful performances and all those goals conceded.

Fair enough mate, I think your sentiments are shared by almost everyone on this site. I think his passing and assists add more value than people appreciate. Totally take your point about not voting for a defender based on what has happened this year. Sadly without him things would have been even worse, 

1 hour ago, Ernie_blue said:

Do you watch the other 36 league games to see how good KDB is? Tbh Kova doesnt really have that great passing, vision or shooting ability specially as KDB is around the best midfield player for all those and Kova doesn't come close. Its just not Kova's game, its the biggest fault I would find with all of Chelsea's centre midfielders as Kante looks the most threatening.

Guardiolas football is as boring as Sarriball I can't sit through that as a neutral. But I have seen De Bryune play plenty of times for City and his national team and I'm definitely not as impressed as you are. Massively overhyped and it shows in the big games.

If you think one of our best players doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as one of theirs, fine. But you're wrong and it shows on the pitch. Even if he assists and scores twice when they trash Watford 8:0 or Norwich 5:0.

16 minutes ago, Vagabond said:

Guardiolas football is as boring as Sarriball I can't sit through that as a neutral. But I have seen De Bryune play plenty of times for City and his national team and I'm definitely not as impressed as you are. Massively overhyped and it shows in the big games.

If you think one of our best players doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as one of theirs, fine. But you're wrong and it shows on the pitch. Even if he assists and scores twice when they trash Watford 8:0 or Norwich 5:0.

He scored against us, scored and assisted against Liverpool and Real Madrid this season. Yea you're out of your depth here.

1 hour ago, Gol15 said:

He scored against us, scored and assisted against Liverpool and Real Madrid this season. Yea you're out of your depth here.

We conceded 54 goals this season! Everybody scored against us.

He scored and assisted against Liverpool when they played them at the beginning of this month with the season basically over for Liverpool. When Man City played Liverpool in November he did nothing.

Scored and assisted against Real Madrid when Zidane said multiple times that the focus for Madrid is solely on La Liga and he doesn't care about the CL this season.

Remember that context matters next time you look up those sexy stats again. But if you feel like I committed sacrilege or want to talk about and praise De Bryune that much how about you just register on a Man City forum or post something on twitter  or whatever you people do instead of further derailing a Chelsea POTS thread?

3 hours ago, Slojo said:

Absolute rubbish, yeah he's obviously not on KDB's level, not many players are, but has no vision or passing ability? This video says otherwise, he's played in some excellent through balls all season. 

I don’t know what you are on about.. in the entire video he plays 4 balls of note over two seasons.. for Willian , Kante and Tammy..  rest of the stuff with not a player around him is something that o would expect most PL players to be able to play..

We know what Kova is great at .. run with the ball, beat the press, track back etc but  he has 5 assists in 106 appearances for us .. that tells me he is not going to be your man to break down defences with his vision and passing.

look I love the lad but facts are facts..

Barkley has 10 goals 11 assists in 77 games 

mount has 8 goals 6 assists in 51

Kante has 8 goals 5 assists in 80

RLC has 10 goals and 7 assists in 50

his productivity is only better than Jorginho over the same period.. will i really enjoyed the video and thanks for posting .. but I don’t see anything there that tells me he is a great with these attributes.. 

to give u another bar- Fred from Utd has 2 goals 4 assists in 45!

3 hours ago, Vagabond said:

You must be on a windup because the majority of unbiased football fans would have a good laugh at your post. 

10 minutes ago, Vagabond said:

He scored and assisted against Liverpool when they played them at the beginning of this month with the season basically over for Liverpool. When Man City played Liverpool in November he did nothing.

Scored and assisted against Real Madrid when Zidane said multiple times that the focus for Madrid is solely on La Liga and he doesn't care about the CL this season.

Remember that context matters next time you look up those sexy stats again. But if you feel like I committed sacrilege or want to talk about and praise De Bryune that much how about you just register on a Man City forum or post something on twitter  or whatever you people do instead of further derailing a Chelsea POTS thread?

So here's the thing, he got 10 goals and 20 assists, he equalized the record that is 17 years old, I don't think you care enough to put things in any kind of a balanced perspective on this...
You're putting down someone like De Bruyne after he had a crazy season that in the last 20 years probably only Lampard himself can top, you know it's much easier to make up excuses like that about Kovacic, I mean it's not fair but it's very much possible, if you want I can bring up a few games and play him down even better than what you did here about De Bruyne but what's the point? 
At the same time you're making excuses, you're bringing up how Kovacic once assisted Kante in a match that we lost against De Bruyne, that scored against us...what a great argument you built up!

The whole thing started with @driller97 telling that Kovacic is like De Bruyne and that Mount is like Henderson so don't tell me to remember the context here, if anything it's the exact opposite and that silly comparison is totally unfair, anyway...

A Chelsea player of the season, if as good as De Bruyne was this season, could AUTOMATICALLY be the PFA Players' Player of the Year as well. And Kovacic isn't nowhere near as close to De Bruyne and that's just being realistic, so it's all closely connected.

Maybe you would prefer to just ignore the whole world and to have this opinion that every other team has overhyped players and that only our players are the best but that's your thing, like I said by your logic someone could play down Messi a bit and come to the conclusion that our own Willian is very similar to Messi, that's the same level of argument that makes no sense. 

I find it very distasteful that both you and @driller97 would prefer to stick to your guns forever even if it meant insulting other fellow fans out there and telling them to go somewhere else just because you feel a certain way, he's bashing Mount, nd Lampard for playing him just like West Ham fans did to Lampard once upon a time when he was a youngster, you really want to be on the wrong side of history here?

I just know that if I were to say to some friends of mine that Kovacic is as good as KDB I would look totally stupid in that crowd so in my mind I wouldn't want to wrongly represent Chelsea fans anywhere, so I keep things real,  I saw some ManU fans here that give props Lampard and/or our players, imagine if everyone were like you... Fans wouldn't get along at all and a simple conversation wouldn't be possible if we were to always play down every single top player that isn't in our squad, also I wouldn't like that someone comes and talks trash about Werner when he scores 20 goals either for that matter...

Either way, it's your choice but just to be clear once again, I wasn't the one to bring up KDB here and I haven't missed any kind of context nor content for that matter so you have absolutely no right to send me to Twitter or Man City forum because of what I've said, it's a big stretch to link Kovacic to De Bruyne and even if you personally didn't compare them,you came out to simply voice your opinion of dislike of De Bruyne which actually isn't the topic here, I don't care if you like him or not, fact is he has been the best midfielder in the whole league this season and nobody is even close to him and that's regardless of what kind of football Guardiola plays and if you think that scoring against us isn't a big deal, fact is our game vs Man City is a big game so what you said that KDB didn't show up in big games is just false, full stop.

1 hour ago, Vagabond said:

KDB scores against Chelsea twice this season and you say "We conceded 54 goals this season! Everybody scored against us." Ffs 😂

KDB scores and assists against Real Madrid but you seem to think Zidane's sole focus is the league. You really think the players and manager wasn't bothered about the champions league while Zidane put out his best team.

@Gol15 found examples of big games and you just play them down with silly excuses.

KDB also assisted twice against Spurs and scored 3 against Arsenal but I'm sure there be more stupid comebacks.

Edited by Ernie_blue

Went for Ollie. He’s been virtually world class since he got back in as the starter. Yes other players have probably done it over a longer period of the season, Mount, Kov, but the it wasn’t Girouds fault he wasn’t being picked. He’s had a massive impact.

5 hours ago, Gol15 said:

So here's the thing, he got 10 goals and 20 assists, he equalized the record that is 17 years old, I don't think you care enough to put things in any kind of a balanced perspective on this...
You're putting down someone like De Bruyne after he had a crazy season that in the last 20 years probably only Lampard himself can top, you know it's much easier to make up excuses like that about Kovacic, I mean it's not fair but it's very much possible, if you want I can bring up a few games and play him down even better than what you did here about De Bruyne but what's the point? 
At the same time you're making excuses, you're bringing up how Kovacic once assisted Kante in a match that we lost against De Bruyne, that scored against us...what a great argument you built up!

The whole thing started with @driller97 telling that Kovacic is like De Bruyne and that Mount is like Henderson so don't tell me to remember the context here, if anything it's the exact opposite and that silly comparison is totally unfair, anyway...

A Chelsea player of the season, if as good as De Bruyne was this season, could AUTOMATICALLY be the PFA Players' Player of the Year as well. And Kovacic isn't nowhere near as close to De Bruyne and that's just being realistic, so it's all closely connected.

Maybe you would prefer to just ignore the whole world and to have this opinion that every other team has overhyped players and that only our players are the best but that's your thing, like I said by your logic someone could play down Messi a bit and come to the conclusion that our own Willian is very similar to Messi, that's the same level of argument that makes no sense. 

I find it very distasteful that both you and @driller97 would prefer to stick to your guns forever even if it meant insulting other fellow fans out there and telling them to go somewhere else just because you feel a certain way, he's bashing Mount, nd Lampard for playing him just like West Ham fans did to Lampard once upon a time when he was a youngster, you really want to be on the wrong side of history here?

I just know that if I were to say to some friends of mine that Kovacic is as good as KDB I would look totally stupid in that crowd so in my mind I wouldn't want to wrongly represent Chelsea fans anywhere, so I keep things real,  I saw some ManU fans here that give props Lampard and/or our players, imagine if everyone were like you... Fans wouldn't get along at all and a simple conversation wouldn't be possible if we were to always play down every single top player that isn't in our squad, also I wouldn't like that someone comes and talks trash about Werner when he scores 20 goals either for that matter...

Either way, it's your choice but just to be clear once again, I wasn't the one to bring up KDB here and I haven't missed any kind of context nor content for that matter so you have absolutely no right to send me to Twitter or Man City forum because of what I've said, it's a big stretch to link Kovacic to De Bruyne and even if you personally didn't compare them,you came out to simply voice your opinion of dislike of De Bruyne which actually isn't the topic here, I don't care if you like him or not, fact is he has been the best midfielder in the whole league this season and nobody is even close to him and that's regardless of what kind of football Guardiola plays and if you think that scoring against us isn't a big deal, fact is our game vs Man City is a big game so what you said that KDB didn't show up in big games is just false, full stop.

I said they were similar players in terms of style of play, not their actual level...

Kovacic plays similar to KDB in terms of finesse and making the balls, Mount plays similar to Henderson in terms of just running a lot and bringing energy, and for me the Kovacic/KDB type player is miles ahead.

Stop trying to take what I say out of context, you clearly knew what I was trying to say.

comparing Kdb with Kovacic even style wise is pretty pointless.

Kdb spams killer balls, and long shots, and he is pretty awesome at it. All of Kdb's best work comes in the attacking 3rd of the pitch. Ziyech will play a similar game from us, even if he starts out wide.

Kovacic does most his best work in the middle of park, always creating passing angles, dribbling through the press, breaking up play, covering runners. 

City dont even really use a player like Kovacic, maybe Gundogan is the closest when he isnt playing in the deeper role for them.

Kovacic could still have more of an end product, but i feel he has been much better at making things happen this year, as has jorginho. Both get the ball into the attackers much quicker under Lampard than they ever did under Sarri.

With the attacking players we are bringing in, Kovacic will help facilitate them, and get our most dangerous players on the ball in the final 3rd. 

@Ernie_blue & @Gol15

This is getting tiresome and my mood is far too good to let it be influenced by you fanboying over a City player in our POTS thread.

You can think KDB is as good as the City fans claim he is same as you can think Bruno Fernandes is as good as the Manure fans claim he is. I don't care. When he plays against us he isn't as impressive as you make him out to be and certainly a big step down from "other" world class players like Hazard. If you want to discuss it further I suggest you take it to Kovacic thread, after the "but he's no Essien" I certainly think it's time for a "but he's not De Bryune".

10 hours ago, Vagabond said:

KDB missing in the big games does make sense, you can just tell whenever Belgium play that Hazard is always the star of the team and makes things happen.. KDB on the other hand us relatively quiet.

There's levels to this.

I've given it to Azpi. Has been everpresent this season and was the only mainstay in an otherwise very leaky defense. On top of that he has contributed a considerable number of assists and been a leader to the young players.

Kovacic was great in spells but then found himself sidelined at times.

Mount had a decent debut season in the PL but not to the level where I would consider him player of the season.

Giroud and Pulisic where great after the restart but especially Giroud didn't play enough of a role before for me to consider him. 

• coco locked and unpinned this topic