Strangest Player Moves

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I just stumbled across something on the internet about Ricardo Quaresma and remembered how he had a brief stint with us and it seems so bizarre that it ever happened. 

What are other strange player moves that you think of in our history? 

1 hour ago, edewaarb said:

I just stumbled across something on the internet about Ricardo Quaresma and remembered how he had a brief stint with us and it seems so bizarre that it ever happened. 

What are other strange player moves that you think of in our history? 

Ruud Gullit signing for us is the weirdest player move in our history. And I'm forever thankful for it. 

Miniero was a weird one for sure, and yes Queresma with his outside of the boot technique was an amazing prospect but it just never worked for him.  Pizarro was another in a line of strange forwards we've signed over the years.  I also feel with Zirkhov, Luis, Del Horno, we seemed to go through a rake of LBs for a while there too.

100% agree with the Matt Miazga signing, purely a move to attract American players, but I think Pulisic has filled that role nicely.

For us slightly older supporters, yes, Gullit was such a shock, then Vialli.  Two all time favourites.

The loan move for Pato. Utterly pointless, albeit he did net a penalty for us.

Maniche, another odd loan,  was a bit of a waste of space as well. All I can remember is him getting sent off in the 10th minute against West Ham when we were 1-0 down, at which point we played a lot better and won 4-1. Watched that in a hotel room in Vientienne in Laos - good times !

3 minutes ago, DidierDrogbalala said:

Sometimes i forget that Cuadrado ever played for us, i have absolutely no memories of him in a Chelsea shirt.

How about this as all kinds of strange for you. Cuadrado... in a Chelsea shirt... in the USA...

I took these of him at the Big House on Michigan in front of about 95,000 fans. 

FB_IMG_1596144591700.jpg

FB_IMG_1596144584971.jpg

7 hours ago, Skinnedy said:

Letting Nathan Chalobah go for a song, then spending £30M+ on Danny Drinkwater.

Conte didn't trust youth. Both have performed average to decent since.

Drinkwater slid down a terrible spiral tho

32 minutes ago, Jangz said:

Benayoun from Arsenal for me was also very strange..

I was just about to say that, that move was so f**king stupid. We were also struggling at the time and we gave them a player who kept winning points, he was getting an assist here, a goal there, he must have won them about 6-9 points with his contributions and that's massive. That whole loan move was just stupid, what was the purpose of that? Especially considering he had a very good pre season before and he was the only link up play Torres was familiar with in the squad, but we decide to give him to Arsenal who ended up finishing way above us in the League when he could've been here at least helping us or playing for another team in a different league at the very least. 

The 15/16 window with Djilobadger, Hector, Miazga. I think the club believed that you didn't need to spend loads on defenders as we had so many bargains in this department and that it was more down to organisation.

Prior to that season, if I'm correct our most expensive defender was Zouma at £12m, although I'm ignoring Luiz because we paid extra for his flair.