Bayern Munich (3) vs (0) Chelsea 08/08/20, 20:00 GMT

3 minutes ago, WhiteWall said:

They said tonight that this season's defence has statistically been the worst Chelsea defence for 30 years. That's pre Hoddle.

We actually conceded the most away goals in PL along with Norwich. Mad.

23 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

Glad that's over. I'm still trying to work out if Bayern are that good or we are that bad. That was a friendly for them in the last 30 and they still scored 2 goals. 

Some bright moments but our complete inability to be compact and defend when needed is maddening. Some of it is the personnel but most of it is the structure. 54 matches with only 13 clean sheets and 75 goals conceded. That's 15 more than the last two seasons and even worse than the Jose's last season where we finished 10th. 

It has to be fixed. I fear Frank won't get a third season if we concede as many again next year. But from losing 4-0 in our first game to 4-1 tonight I'm not sure our defence has improved at all.

Just noticed you got there first befoe my post with the defensive stats of the season, fair play mate, and absolutely correct - it clearly has to be a priority, can't have such high goals conceded, and a less than 25 per cent clean sheet rate, so poor for a club aiming high. The club seriously needs to focus on a plan to fix our serious defensive weakness, immediately.

17 minutes ago, Sing the Blues said:

Can't even begin to be bothered about this result. We're not even top 4 in our own league(imo we're 6th at best and we punched way above our weight this season) and we're miles away from the European elite. So whatever to this Bayern result. 

What I hope to see next season and from thereon is Liverpool levels of improvement. Those gits finished 8th when Klopp took over, then 4th for two seasons after, followed by 2nd and winning the CL  and then they won the bloody League title. 

So next season we need to hold on to 4th. If we climb higher that's great but under no circumstances should we be lower than 4th. 

We need to be pragmatic. Chelsea rebuilding has been a long time coming and it's going to take patience. 

Behind who?

8 minutes ago, WhiteWall said:

They said tonight that this season's defence has statistically been the worst Chelsea defence for 30 years. That's pre Hoddle.

It really is shocking, for so long this club has had a strong defensive foundation built up in many teams we've had in recent decades, to lose that and become so poor at the back has been a really unpleasant surprise, even with the warning signs at times in recent seasons, this season has been a shocker defensively and really made it clear what a problem it is - whatever attack we've got, just can't be confident in most games when we are so liable to concede.

33 minutes ago, Jezq8 said:

I agree, 

lamps, will have to be brought into question next season. If things don’t improve in certain aspects. 

100%. He has the benefit of the doubt this year because of no transfers, losing hazard and an aging squad... but he's already made some signings and got rid of players he doesnt want. His tactics will be scrutinised next season if the defending continues to be like this. The players are bad but the tactics are just as much to blame, because these same players in previous years have never been this bad

Tonight has changed nothing for me, we’ve always been terrible at defending. If we know that, then the Chelsea board certainly will.

edit: I meant that as looking at new defenders, not Lampard.

Edited by dansubrosa

44 minutes ago, mad_mac said:

I also wish Frank had just thrown a bunch of kids on when we had 20 minutes left. Why not give them some experience

As I stated earlier in the thread. Going into this, you know 100% this is not a winnable game. 

I was hoping/expecting Lamp to give the newer/younger kids some experiences by putting them on the pitch early. Missed opportunity.

1 hour ago, cRyptic said:

For the love of God, we are desperately in need of reinforcements at the back and that should be the absolute #1 priority.

Might as well upgrade that CM/DM. That is the cause of much of the defensive issues.

Just as well sit back now for the next few weeks and see what transfer plan we come up with and what type of players we throw our money at...anyone with an ounce of defensive experience would be a start.   

1 minute ago, Ballack & Blu said:

What you have got to seriously Ask is, does Franky boy have the nous to sort it.

Personally I don't think he does; if he did he would have done 30 odd matches ago...can't say he and his coaching staff hasn't had enough time to sort the defensive sh*t out.

6 minutes ago, CFCCAN said:

Personally I don't think he does; if he did he would have done 30 odd matches ago...can't say he and his coaching staff hasn't had enough time to sort the defensive sh*t out.

Sadly true, but i'll give it until next season to see if any changes have been made

21 minutes ago, haviet1 said:

Might as well upgrade that CM/DM. That is the cause of much of the defensive issues.

Yeah there's lots of work to be done on rebuilding the squad and we should be aware that it will take a year or two (or even more -but hopefully not). Also, overhauling the entire team in a short period of time can be a a two-edged sword and we really should tread carefully.

But, do we really care about a summer tournament that much? I hoped this game was taken as a preseason and am glad we didn’t end up with any injuries. Let’s have a rest and bring on the new season. Frank knows what we’re lacking and it will be an exciting new team. COYB!

7 minutes ago, BlueNProud said:

CHO has got to be the most overrated crap player we've had in a while. Guy has to go on loan. And never come back. Also we're f**ked next season if we keep playing James, Christensen, Barkley. 

Sell CHO to United for £50m, sign Sancho. 😀

Wishful thinking.

Edited by the special one
42 minutes ago, BlueNProud said:

CHO has got to be the most overrated crap player we've had in a while. Guy has to go on loan. And never come back. Also we're f**ked next season if we keep playing James, Christensen, Barkley. 

Did you not see his disallowed goal in the first half? The class and potential is definitely there