Sheff Wed v Chelsea 17th Aug 1985

First competitive game of 1985/86

We are away on Saturday 17th August 1985 to Sheffield Wednesday.       A 5pm kick off.

As I’ve done the last two seasons 1983/84 and 1984/85 .  It kinda seems like a natural progression to do 1985/86 match by matcch

Pre Season Friendly Wise. 

27th July. We beat Maidstone United 2-0.    30th July. We beat Orient 2-0.     31st July We beat Enfield 4-0.                                                              

3rd Aug . We beat Crystal Palace 1-0.    5th August. We beat Plymouth Argyle 1 -0 in a Testimonial Match for Chris Harrison.

12th August we go down 2-1 to Fulham in our last pre season friendly match.

Joey Jones left us to join Huddersfield and Jerry Murphy joined us from Crystal Palace.

On a broader scale . English football clubs were banned from competing in European Club Competitions. This in the aftermath of the Heysel Stadium Disaster at the European Cup Final in May.  

Edited by erskblue

1 hour ago, erskblue said:

First competitive game of 1985/86

We are away on Saturday 17th August 1985 to Sheffield Wednesday.       A 5pm kick off.

As I’ve done the last two seasons 1983/84 and 1984/85 .  It kinda seems like a natural progression to do 1985/86 match by matcch

Pre Season Friendly Wise. 

27th July. We beat Maidstone United 2-0.    30th July. We beat Orient 2-0.     31st July We beat Enfield 4-0.                                                              

3rd Aug . We beat Crystal Palace 1-0.    5th August. We beat Plymouth Argyle 1 -0 in a Testimonial Match for Chris Harrison.

12th August we go down 2-1 to Fulham in our last pre season friendly match.

Joey Jones left us to join Huddersfield and Jerry Murphy joined us from Crystal Palace.

On a broader scale . English football clubs were banned from competing in European Club Competitions. This in the aftermath of the Heysel Stadium Disaster at the European Cup Final in May.  

Love it Ersk, another season to remember. Look forward to it.

Sheffield bastard wednesday > i hate this lot more than Leeds Leeds Leeds for various reasons .

out of the two Sheffield clubs i allways had a softer spot for the blades and from my experience the BBC was a far better 

set of lads than the owls crime squad . 

Had to give my head a slight wobble when i was told that some cfc lads had a close connection with sheff weds ? It was hear say so can anyone confirm that please ? 

used to know two sheff weds lads from donny area and was quite often getting their hands dirty at sheff weds games . One night when round town they was chewing my ear off since the week before they had been in a altercation with some chelsea and one the 

donny owls had his gold belcher nicked . That was sometime in the mid or late 1980s . 

sometime after they both seem to vanish from the donny scene and i never saw owt of them for some years . I was at that Mikita tournment that was help at 3 point lane and cfc were playing against Spurs ,when a lad with a cockney accent said hello to us ,it was one of the former donny owls who had moved down to London and was now chelsea ,i was shocked . 

i got Even more shocked when the other donny owl crossed over to chelsea and he and would take his kids down to SB for games from the garden of England since he still lived up our neck of the Woods in a different town .

strange , very strange 

1985/86 kicked off on Sat 17th August 1985.

Sheff Wed 1 - 1 Chelsea 

David Speedie our scorer in the 35th min.

A crowd of 26, 164 saw it.

A 5pm kick off seems a strange time. Not a live TV game and I’ve actually seen a match ticket on eBay showing a 3pm kick off.

Programme cover for Sheffield Wednesday v Chelsea, Saturday, 17th Aug 1985programme cover for Sheffield Wednesday v Chelsea, Saturday, 17th Aug 1985

Remember the 1985 TV blackout? Only the Big Yin knew who McAvennie was

• Simon Hart
  • Sunday 15 August 2010 
  • The Independant. Aug 2010

It may sound unthinkable to anybody who has grown up with wall-to-wall Premier League football, but 25 years ago this week a new season began with not a single kick accessible to armchair viewers.

There was plenty of other sport on the box on the weekend of 17-18 August 1985 – European Cup athletics, Ashes cricket and Formula One motor racing – but for football fans, a long blackout had begun.

For over four months the sport was off our screens and even when it returned in the new year, only six top-flight matches were shown live before the season's end – a figure that coach potatoes with twin satellite subscriptions will have reached by next Sunday alone.

The English football landscape was very different then. With the horrors of Bradford and Heysel still fresh in the mind, the Football League had witnessed the lowest total opening-day attendances in 40 years. And the football authorities feared television might have a detrimental impact.

Sir Philip Carter, the then chairman of the champions Everton and a member of the League's television committee, recalled: "There was an underlying concern with all the chairmen that TV would reduce gates and affect football negatively. There was very little money in it. They were saying American football and motor racing had more exposure than football."

The League had rejected an offer of £19m over four years and negotiations had reached an impasse over the split between live matches and recorded highlights, with broadcasters wanting more of the former and the clubs more of the latter. The Sky Sports commentator Martin Tyler, who was then working for ITV, said: "I remember at the time people were saying live football will kill the game. In fact, it's done just the opposite. Football didn't know the television industry so well and I think it was giving itself a bit of thinking time.”

So for the first time in 21 years, TV cameras were absent on the opening day and what viewers missed in the ensuing months were Manchester United setting the pace with 10 straight wins, plus a flurry of goals from West Ham's new Scottish stri-ker, Frank McAvennie. Signed from St Mirren, he hit 18 League goals before Christmas to help the Hammers to their highest ever finish – third in the old First Division behind Liverpool and Everton.

Yet with zero TV coverage, he remained an unknown quantity outside Upton Park. "Teams didn't didn't know about Frank," said his strike partner Tony Cottee, suggesting the blackout worked in McAvennie's favour. "He just took the old First Division by storm that season."

Tyler remembers taking McAvennie across London's Waterloo Bridge to see if passers-by could identify the free-scoring Scot. "Not many people recognised him – only a taxi driver did. Amazingly when we walked back down the South Bank to the studios, Billy Connolly walked out and he recognised Frank!"

If that put a smile on the faces of Saint and Greavsie, for English football, the 1985-86 campaign was a period of soul-searching. The post-Heysel ban was in place, with the one-off Screen Sport Super Cup introduced for the six European qualifiers and the Full Members' Cup established for the remaining clubs in the top two tiers.

Talk of a breakaway Super League had begun and by December plans were in place to reduce the 22-team top flight and introduce play-offs. Fortunately December also brought belated agreement over a TV deal, the Football League accepting £1.3m for nine First Division and League Cup games.

Carter said: "The money we got was peanuts but it was a question of getting back into the swing. It was a stupid situation, if I can say so now. I think it actually brought home to people that there was something wrong with not having our national sport on television."

With a separate deal agreed for the FA Cup, the blackout ended in early January with a third-round tie between Charlton Athletic and West Ham. In the end, 13 domestic League and cup games went out live – together with England v Scotland and the European Cup final.

West Ham won that first match back on the box against Charlton with Cottee getting the only goal. Now a Sky pundit, he said: "Imagine nowadays if you said to a kid, 'You can't watch the Champions' League and you can't watch goals from the Premier League – there are no live games and no highlights'.

"It was an incredible situation and it shows how far football has come – to think we've gone from 25 years ago with no football on television to now when we have the most watched league in the world."

Then 

1985 15 games all season. The BBC and ITV showed:

6 First Division matches; 4 FA Cup matches; 3 League Cup matches.

Plus less than a dozen highlights programmes. The only live game from the Continent was the European Cup final between Terry Venables' Barcelona and Steaua Bucharest. England were on live once, against Scotland at Wembley.

Tuesday 21st Aug 1985.

A 1-0 win over Coventry City at The Bridge.

David Speedie scoring in the 76th min.

A crowd of 15,679 saw it.

programme cover for Chelsea v Coventry City, Tuesday, 20th Aug 1985

We are up to 2nd after two League games played. Heady heights indeed😀

Next game is on Sat 24th Aug 1985 at The Bridge , when we face Birmingham City.

Edited by erskblue

Talking about sheff weds v cfc games and that leppings lane end  i recall going to a cfc game there that 

was pre the lpool v notts Forest leppings lane disaster ( think it was division 2 game ) 

the seats upstairs were full of chelsea ,so we had to pay to stand and i recall walking down that tunnel 

and onto the terrace . As soon as i stepped out of the tunnel because the terrace was so packed and there was only two pens open for us ,my feet were taken off the ground and i type of floated down and across the terrace without touching the floor for a few moments . It was quite a thrill and ,but once i landed back on the terrace i woke ul and smelt the coffee as had many other Chelsea fans ,who was screaming blue murder to SYP to unlock the gates in the fence to let fans into the empty pens either side .

lads were trying to climb over into empty pens but SYP  beat them back . I cant recall if the  gates was ever opened but there was no serious accidents or crush that day .

i cant Even recall  the score of the game tbh ,but i do recall the season before i think it was where Spurs played wolves at hillsboro in a FAcup SF and Spurs had the leppings lane end and a few of their fans came out with broken limbs after bad crowd crushing in the same leppings lane as the lpool 96 a few years later .

i dont think that i have ever seen any report or News footage about the hillsboro disaster and the Spurs / wolves issues ever been raised ? 

Going back to the SW game I am fairly sure it was a 3pm ko, I travelled up on the special to Wadsley Bridge Station, close to Hillsborough.  We were away sharpish after the game, old bill wanted rid of us, and I recall we were back at St Pancras before 8.  Think we wore the all red strip.

47 minutes ago, Gate 13 said:

Going back to the SW game I am fairly sure it was a 3pm ko, I travelled up on the special to Wadsley Bridge Station, close to Hillsborough.  We were away sharpish after the game, old bill wanted rid of us, and I recall we were back at St Pancras before 8.  Think we wore the all red strip.

I agree I can't think of any game kicking off at five on a Saturday in the 80's. In fact we had loads of early kick offs in those days a five o'clock kick off would never have been allowed by the old bill.

Iam all most certian that i went to every swfc v cfc game due to how close it was to Home . It was a local train to Sheffield city centre train station ,then foot  bus or taxi to hillsboro for the game . 

i never recall been put onto special buses to the ground by SYP  before the game ,but do recall been hearded onto special buses back down to Sheffield train station in the city after the game one or two times maybe three. 

but for sure i never recall a 17:00 kick off at hillsboro ,the only night game that i can recall was that League cup 1/4 final 4-4 game  ,and for sure no Sunday kick offs in Sheffield or early saturday kick offs . Saying that this was during our division two days as iam all most certian i have never watched a swfc / cfc or a cfc/ swfc premeir League game at the pig sty . 

16 hours ago, Gate 13 said:

Sheffield-Wednesday-v-Chelsea-1985-1986-North-Stand-Ticket-Stub

Regarding. the kick off time. This match ticket states 3pm.  I was very surprised that the match programme stated a 5pm kick off.
I wonder if the 5 pm kick off time as shown on the programme cover, was a  mistake by the programme printers ?
Edited by erskblue

The SW game may have been the first time we wore the le coq all red strip?  I wasn’t sold on it, I missed the brilliant yellow strip with horizontal stripes.  Mind you, by the time we played QPR away later in this season, a league cup game in the evening I think, it had grown on me. Incidentally what a night that was, at one stage we had our mob singing one man went to mow from both ends of the ground.  Epic.

Sat 24th August 1985 and a 2-0 home win over Birmingham City.

Programme cover for Chelsea v Birmingham City, Saturday, 24th Aug 1985programme cover for Chelsea v Birmingham City, Saturday, 24th Aug 1985

A 3.15pm kick off too !  

A crowd of 16,534 saw it

Our scorers were Doug Rougvie 17th min😀 and Keith Jones 77th min.

Next up is a trip to Leicester on Wed 28th Aug.

This is followed by another game against a Midlands side, West Brom at The Bridge on Sat 31st Aug 1985

Edited by erskblue
On 22/08/2020 at 16:04, Gate 13 said:

The SW game may have been the first time we wore the le coq all red strip?  I wasn’t sold on it, I missed the brilliant yellow strip with horizontal stripes.  Mind you, by the time we played QPR away later in this season, a league cup game in the evening I think, it had grown on me. Incidentally what a night that was, at one stage we had our mob singing one man went to mow from both ends of the ground.  Epic.

Funny, I only watched that QPR league cup away game on You Tube during Lockdown, John Motson mentions that Chelsea have at least half the support In the ground, remember going to the reply at home (we lost) and needless to say QPR didn’t bring the numbers we had to Loftus Road

Wed 28th Aug 1985  Programme shown above.

A League game, ending in a. 0-0 draw with Leicester City at Filbert St.

David Speedie was sent off in the 43rd min with Wilson of Leicester City.

Watched by 11,248 spectators.

Next up West Bromat The Bridge on Sat 31st Aug 1985

Edited by erskblue

Ddr yes, we did have a connection with Wednesday. A certain well known Surrey Lad knew them. What i saw and met of them they were alright. I cant remember how the connection came about. Though they did get us tickets for up their in their seats and lets just say the two coach loads,one from London and one from Surrey were not up their for a picnic and not many of us returned.

15 minutes ago, Londons Finest said:

Ddr yes, we did have a connection with Wednesday. A certain well known Surrey Lad knew them. What i saw and met of them they were alright. I cant remember how the connection came about. Though they did get us tickets for up their in their seats and lets just say the two coach loads,one from London and one from Surrey were not up their for a picnic and not many of us returned.

It allways stressed me why cfc had a type of friendship with sheff weds lot . Up round are neck ofvthe Woods sheff weds was allways deemed as bullys due to their lagre away followings in part . Sheff utd were a different gravy and had the Numbers and had more class about them since they was never seen as bullys .

from my side of the fence outside looking in  the BBC had the run of Sheffield all the time back in the day . 

there was a donnywhite who moved to Sheffield some years back , and he was out with his family and one night in Sheffield and in a taxi que going Home and a few sheff weds jumped him and beat him to death . This was about 6 years back so the mud still sticks with the sheff weds lot .

sheff weds lads ,lower Leagues big fish in small pond ,when it comes to likes of Leeds,man utd,London clubs ,bham big three etc etc small fish in bigger pond .

thanks for clearing that up for us 

Went to one swfc v cfc game with like the Blackburn game there was some donnywhites and donny rovers lads with us . There was about 10 of us  had a drink in Sheffield city centre with no stress as i guess our localish accents did not alarm anyone .

got to the ground and for some reason we sat in the stand thats on the right hand side of the pitch from the leppings lane end ,where 

all the 3000+ chelsea was . We was sat in the end section towards the away end in the Upper part .

i said if chelsea scored i would keep stum and stay seated so not to attract any attention ,but sheff weds went 1-0 in first 10 mins and the whole stand went up apart from us 10 who just stayed sat in our seats .

within 5 mins SYP had come in and was draggjng us all out . They took us round back of stand and put us into two cop vans and told us to stand up and not sit down .for sure we sat down and a copper would then rabbit punch type whack us with his batton .We type of got the message and a scarboro warning we would Get whacked if we sat down again .

The vans drove off round hillsboro and the driver was throwing the van round corners like a idiot and everytime any if us fell into the Seat we Get whacked by a close by copper .i got done 3 times  as did rest of me mates ,our driver had issues .

we all ended up in holding cells directly underneath the sheff weds big kop end ,while Police got our IDs etc etc . They was confused that we all had doncaster postcodes ,was sat in sheff weds stand and there was a mix of Leeds ,donny rovers and two chelsea fans all from donny in the Sheffield seats .

Think cops got it into their heads that we was in the Home seats to cause havoc with Sheffield fans . SYP waited untill final whistle to let us out from underneath that massive Home end ,at the exact time when thousands of locals was streaming out of the ground .

SYP made a point of shouting out ´´ make your on way back to the train station and if any of you CHELSEA bastards cause any trouble  

on the way into the city your nicked ´´

How we got down to Sheffield station from hillsboro  without no locals taking us apart we will never know and its quite a walk .

we got across the Road from the station and was walking down sone stairs when we got into a small punch up with a mob of chelsea from reading as they thought we was sheff weds . Some fat lips on both sides and i spent all me time trying to calm it all down .

Reading lot called it a day when it was known we was not Sheffield since two of us was cfc and we went our diffferent ways .