Sheff Wed v Chelsea 17th Aug 1985

3 hours ago, Londons Finest said:

Drove up for that Mansfield game. A draw if iremember.mid week game or was it league cup ?. Ddr they maybe scabs, they were only trying to feed their families. Thatcher was the evil one set you al against one another.

I have  a few memorys  that will never leave me during that year long strike period > cornflakes with water for breakfast at times > Police in poorly fitting uniforms on picket line duty = Army in Police uniform ? Thatcher breaking the NUM and the way we lived in the pit Villages changing for the   Worse etc etc .

but the funny thing today when i look at the State of the country today with protest after protests  and the pig balling about with the brexit issue ,i wish that thatcher was in office to set the country fully on a more sterdy track .

i did not go to that mansfield v chelsea League cup game Even thou it was on my doorstep ,but i just cant recall the reason why 

personally i can let sleeping dogs sleep but i know a few who cant for understandable reasons . 

for the record in the lower leagues manafield allways had a accomadting mob of lads at both Home/ away games against donny rovers and i would place them above the ddr on more than enough occasions fella .

3 hours ago, ddrblue said:

I have  a few memorys  that will never leave me during that year long strike period > cornflakes with water for breakfast at times > Police in poorly fitting uniforms on picket line duty = Army in Police uniform ? Thatcher breaking the NUM and the way we lived in the pit Villages changing for the   Worse etc etc .

but the funny thing today when i look at the State of the country today with protest after protests  and the pig balling about with the brexit issue ,i wish that thatcher was in office to set the country fully on a more sterdy track .

i did not go to that mansfield v chelsea League cup game Even thou it was on my doorstep ,but i just cant recall the reason why 

personally i can let sleeping dogs sleep but i know a few who cant for understandable reasons . 

for the record in the lower leagues manafield allways had a accomadting mob of lads at both Home/ away games against donny rovers and i would place them above the ddr on more than enough occasions fella .

Without wishing to take the thread on a whole new tangent, I find it hard to reconcile those two statements.  The UK was bitterly divided in the 80s- just as it is today - but Thatcher was about as unifying a figure as Trump is in the US.

7 hours ago, Londons Finest said:

Drove up for that Mansfield game. A draw if iremember.mid week game or was it league cup ?. Ddr they maybe scabs, they were only trying to feed their families. Thatcher was the evil one set you al against one another.

Think DDR doesn't need a Londoner to tell him the rights and wrongs of the miners strike especially as he had first hand experience.

1 hour ago, bluehaze said:

Think DDR doesn't need a Londoner to tell him the rights and wrongs of the miners strike especially as he had first hand experience.

Its a funny one is this ,but i think i only went to 3 cfc games in the 1985/86 season due to obvious reasons  sheff weds away and man utd/ lpool at SB . Both the times i went to SB it was if i was spending a day in a much more nice pleasent place and the miners strike was the last thing on everybodys mind > out of sight  out of mind outlook > it was a great change of scene for the day for me . 

why do i have a soft spot for thatcher / conserative  goes back to my School days when careers officers would come to my last year in School and point out that if you went for a selection test or god forbid a job interview make sure you wore shoes,trousers ,shirt ,tie and not traineers jeans t shirt > it was drummed into to look presentable to give you a better chance of emplyoment > not that it did ever help > but then i was able to cast my first vote in the elections and when you looked at the conservative party members they allways looked smart with dark suits ,blue shirts and blue ties > then i looked at the rag tag party of Labour and they went fully against what the careers officer had drumed into me about looking smart > then take a look at how the Labour leader michale foot presented himself to wanting  my vote .

i did not look at the partys policys and voted conserative and it felt i was doing wrong as donny was staunch Labour > how could i vote for a tramp to run the country ?  . For sure thatcher broke the NUM and closed all the pits down ,but i found i had a soft spot for her years after .

This is a true story about the south of Englands mindset with the NORTH > i was working behind the bar in my local pub one night and it was close to last orders > there was three lads in from the London area non of the locals knew them but gave them the time of the day in the pub .

the shifts had swaped over in a close by pit and a couple of lads bust their gutts to Get in for the last hour to neck some pints ,hence to say they was as quick as possible cleaning them sens down after the shift > but they could never fully Get the coal dust out of their eyes Even after a good clean .

two miners walk into bar order two bitters and before they can neck their beers the two London lads was taking the piss out of men wearing eye make up at the bar > the coal dust that sticks to your eye lashers gives of a look of ladys eye shadow to the untrained eye . It got very very messy with fat lips smashed in noses for the London lads and the whole pub turned against them by close .

all credit to the two London lads they came back in the following night to say sorry and left a float behind the bar for the two miners they upset ,rest of pub that night accepted them back into pub with no stress . 

Thatcher was pure evil......fist thing she did when she came on the cabinet was take away free milk. Evil women who did set family against family in them small mining towns which to this day still has massive anti on both sides.

Just cause we were lager drinking softies from down south does not mean we cant comment. Bluehaze you were " bang" out of order. What the second world war was fought for.

Without going into the rights or wrongs of Thatcher/80s UK politics (which would  probably be unwelcome anyway coming from a non-Brit like myself), reading the last few posts, it just hit me - quite late - how far back this polarisation of UK politics and society actually goes. Has it even ever been any different...? 

Valerie no.....its like your football team. Your brought up with one though i live in a Tory area in the south. I agreed to coming out of europe and Iam propably closer to the Tories than labour. Though can never forget how evil Thatcher was. I even voted labour at last election and Corbyn is a million times worse than Trump ( my opinion) went to the station to vote Tory just could not bring meself to do it. 

Did vote ukip under Farage though u w never again as we are out of Europe. Will gladly give Scotland and Wales and Northern Ireland back to themselves. My flag is the cross of St George. Not racist just proud to be English. Everyone is the same on this planet and were only here once.

end of rant.

3 hours ago, Backbiter said:

Without wishing to take the thread on a whole new tangent, I find it hard to reconcile those two statements.  The UK was bitterly divided in the 80s- just as it is today - but Thatcher was about as unifying a figure as Trump is in the US.

Sorry i seem have missed your input fella > but i be first to put me hands up and addmit iam a mixed bag etc etc , when i voted conserative in my first election vote i was going against generations of my family and region and i kept that fact that i voted blue to me sen back then tbh . 

Orgreave 1984 was where we think we saw  Army in Police uniforms ,due to seeing Police in very bad non fitting uniforms along with lack of identification Numbers on the shoulders . The Police was very brutal at Orgreave  as were the miners towards the Police at the off . When you take into account that the government would not hold a report into the policing at Orgreave adds weight to the Army in Police uniforms thinking .

7 minutes ago, ddrblue said:

Orgreave 1984 was where we think we saw  Army in Police uniforms ,due to seeing Police in very bad non fitting uniforms along with lack of identification Numbers on the shoulders . The Police was very brutal at Orgreave  as were the miners towards the Police at the off . When you take into account that the government would not hold a report into the policing at Orgreave adds weight to the Army in Police uniforms thinking .

Don't believe they used the army though hiding the numbers is dodgy and do believe they committed crimes there.

In the Ian Tomlinson death again the police were hiding their ID numbers.

I was at school when Thatcher was elected and the talk then was of greedy unions destroying the country by holding the nation to ransom with constant strikes.

People wanted a change though not sure they had the Falklands, IRA, Brixton, Toxteth and Poll tax riots in mind.

She sold off council housing that must have been a vote winner for some previous Labour supporters as they got a good deal. 

Perhaps the most damaging thing she did was deregulatng the financial industry leading to the Bank Crisis circa 208/2009 though that was not known at the time.

I've voted Ukip because of Brexit and my brother voted Tory when Cameron promised a vote on the EU, before that he did not mention politics.

41 minutes ago, Londons Finest said:

Valerie no.....its like your football team. Your brought up with one though i live in a Tory area in the south. I agreed to coming out of europe and Iam propably closer to the Tories than labour. Though can never forget how evil Thatcher was. I even voted labour at last election and Corbyn is a million times worse than Trump ( my opinion) went to the station to vote Tory just could not bring meself to do it. 

Did vote ukip under Farage though u w never again as we are out of Europe. Will gladly give Scotland and Wales and Northern Ireland back to themselves. My flag is the cross of St George. Not racist just proud to be English. Everyone is the same on this planet and were only here once.

end of rant.

Funny old World > as i voted tory and was brought up in a Labour area and most of the NORTH was red > then Mr 

LF is from down south where the election vote was allways blue but you ticked Labour at times .  When you look at the voting map of England today > London is 80% red while NORTH has far more blue within its vote . 

yes iam english 200% > but iam also British 100% and think we be better off keeping it as Great Britain > but saying that iam sick to my back teeth of all things snp as they are a threat Great Britain as i grew up . 

6 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

Don't believe they used the army though hiding the numbers is dodgy and do believe they committed crimes there.

In the Ian Tomlinson death again the police were hiding their ID numbers.

I was at school when Thatcher was elected and the talk then was of greedy unions destroying the country by holding the nation to ransom with constant strikes.

People wanted a change though not sure they had the Falklands, IRA, Brixton, Toxteth and Poll tax riots in mind.

She sold off council housing that must have been a vote winner for some previous Labour supporters as they got a good deal. 

Perhaps the most damaging thing she did was deregulatng the financial industry leading to the Bank Crisis circa 208/2009 though that was not known at the time.

I've voted Ukip because of Brexit and my brother voted Tory when Cameron promised a vote on the EU, before that he did not mention politics.

The Police using the Army in Police uniforms at Orgreave is a question that i can not fully answer ,i was only 18 back then so my mind eyes ears was driven by much older rough arsed mindsets . But i do recall seeing Police in poor fitting uniforms with no ID Numbers. You never saw a policeman before that day at Orgreave or upto today in a poor fitting Police uniform . Iam in two minds about if it was Army poor fitting Police uniforms since you would expect if that was the case somebody would have been shouting it from the rooftops by now ?  

55 minutes ago, ddrblue said:

The Police using the Army in Police uniforms at Orgreave is a question that i can not fully answer ,i was only 18 back then so my mind eyes ears was driven by much older rough arsed mindsets . But i do recall seeing Police in poor fitting uniforms with no ID Numbers. You never saw a policeman before that day at Orgreave or upto today in a poor fitting Police uniform . Iam in two minds about if it was Army poor fitting Police uniforms since you would expect if that was the case somebody would have been shouting it from the rooftops by now ?  

The poor fitting uniform might be due to Southern Police going up there for overtime and needing a change of clothes due to getting uniform damaged due to the action at the pit protests.

Sat 28th Sept 1985.

We went down 3-1 away to Watford.

Big Doug Rougvie our scorer that day in the 66th min We were 2-0 down at that point.

Callaghan put a penalty wide of the post for them too.

Crowd of 16,035 saw  it

Next up is Portsmouth in the Milk Cupboard at The Bridge on 2nd Oct 1985.

14 hours ago, Londons Finest said:

Thatcher was pure evil......fist thing she did when she came on the cabinet was take away free milk. Evil women who did set family against family in them small mining towns which to this day still has massive anti on both sides.

Just cause we were lager drinking softies from down south does not mean we cant comment. Bluehaze you were " bang" out of order. What the second world war was fought for.

I'm going to comment only once on this I found an NF leaflet that I posted you said something along the lines of the left hate the jews no idea why. Then DDR posts his and I repeat his day to day hardships about the miners strike and you start talking about scabbing being acceptable you have no idea what miners and their families went through he did. If someone from Northern Ireland posted something about the troubles would you glibly comment on that. 

As for the second world war comment that's just weird you post something I disagree that's democracy me being able to argue against you. As for am I in the Italian secret police yes I am you got me there no flies on you mate we're so secret and hush hush that we only let our guard slip when we post on Chelsea forums ciao.

37 minutes ago, PloKoon13 said:

Thanks to you lot I've had 'You Sexy Thing' stuck in my head all morning. I hope you're all pleased with yourselves. 

Iam going to have a stab in the dark here fella with that song ‚Äėyou sexy thing ‚Äė > full monty > and if so that was late 1990s Sheffield Steel industry workers if iam on your wave length and mindset ? ¬†Not seen that film for yonks ,think i will give it a watch later on tonite .¬†

20 minutes ago, ddrblue said:

Iam going to have a stab in the dark here fella with that song ‚Äėyou sexy thing ‚Äė > full monty > and if so that was late 1990s Sheffield Steel industry workers if iam on your wave length and mindset ? ¬†Not seen that film for yonks ,think i will give it a watch later on tonite .¬†

Haha yep, that's it.

I thought it was 70s - I've never actually seen it, just as a kid who grew up in the 90s the adverts are [regrettably] tattooed on my brain. 

5 minutes ago, PloKoon13 said:

Haha yep, that's it.

I thought it was 70s - I've never actually seen it, just as a kid who grew up in the 90s the adverts are [regrettably] tattooed on my brain. 

Iam sure that film was made in 1996 or 1997 fella going on the sheff utd shirt that one of the lead characters was wearing . If you have not seen the film its worth a watch via whatever means 

SYP as in south Yorkshire Police fixed ,doppted,changed over 100 statements taken off arrested miners and Police officers that changed the arrest from a minor charge in the courts to a charge of riot which inturn brought serious slopping out time if found guilty ,that was in 1984/85 . SYP was not delt with after this act and it was brushed away under the carpet > for SYP to change statements during the hillsboro event in 1989 .