Brighton v Chelsea (PL) Mon 14th Sep 2020 20:15 GMT

coco

What is it with so many players suffering setbacks in training sessions over the last year? Apparently Pulisic took a couple of steps back in recent training sessions. Lampard, his staff and trainers need to do a better job with load management in practices. We are not going to win with the likes of Barkley and RLC playing significant minutes this season. 

A frustrating first half where I felt we were lucky to be ahead, and I didn't bemoan Brighton their equalizer as I thought they deserved it.

To be honest, I'm not sure how much Kepa could have done about their goal, to me it spawned from a little earlier when Loftus Cheek was wandering around aimlessly and let some passes go about unchallenged.
I think that the defenders actually played quite well, with both Christensen continuing his good form from the Denmark game, and then Zouma putting in a no nonsense display that I think could be very good alongside Silva.  The main stand out in the first half was undoubtedly Timo.  He was everywhere, and I could see him playing a wide role with the likes of Tammy or Giroud being effective too.

Their goal was a good one, and I felt on the display of the night it was deserved.  But James' was the shot in the arm we needed.  At that point I knew the Seagulls were done for (despite the chances they still had).  And then I think Zouma topped off a good performance with his scuffed goal.

Havertz is tough to judge after only being with the team for about 4 days, but if he develops at the rate Timo has, then I'll be more than happy with that. I just don't know what formation we can play that would see Timo, Ziyech, Havertz, and Mount all play?

Can I also add, that if we don't get Rice, can we just move James into the mid? I like him as a player, and what a way to open your Premiership account with Chelsea; however, I don't think he has the pace for RB, and Azpi will not be around forever.  I could see RB being a spot of focus for us in the next transfer (summer) window.

Got to give credit to Lamptey and I think its a good point about Reece being a little on the slow side for RB. 

Everything else I think has been said by others lots of times except that Jorginho underperformed his usual standard in this game. His passing didn't seem anywhere near as accurate as I recall. Passes with the wrong pace on them, or a yard wide of where they needed to be. You need a lot of precision playing out from the back or in transition and I just didn't see it.

We did look so much sharper when Barkely came on. Havertz in my mind ends up in the centre but in this game out wide, with benefit of hindsight, was probably the right place.

We will get well beaten by Liverpuddle if we don't do better in midfield.

Unfortunately I couldn't watch this game live, but the highlights gave me the following impressions:

- Our performance wasn't great. Frank's decision to use a 4-2-2-2 was clearly influenced by Leipzig and thus designed to help Werner acclimatise. Werner himself did looks good, as others have said. He's obviously rapid, but he also showed good movement to stretch Brighton's defence throughout the game and good anticipation to latch on to that pass from Jorginho and win the penalty. 

However, there were other issues with the formation. Mount did well because the attacking midfielders in a 4-2-2-2 not only need to display good movement off the ball but also need to track back. Those are Mount's strengths. Unfortunately, the one thing that was consistently criticised about Havertz was his relative lack of work rate and defensive acumen, and it showed. Lewis Dunk almost scored because Havertz was ball-watching and so failed to mark him properly.

Kante and Jorginho were fine - the latter dictated the tempo as he always does, while Kante was his willing self. He's been playing as a kind of volante for a couple of seasons now, so his role in this game wouldn't have required a major adjustment. Our full-backs are probably not suited to the formation long term - Alonso is Alonso, while Reece James is less a two-way full back and more somebody who gets up the pitch a bit and then crosses the ball (he had a great game, mind). To consistently get the best out of him, I think you probably need an attacker ahead of him to cover the space near the byline, because James seems to lack the pace and energy to do that. So I'm sceptical that 4-2-2-2 is the long-term answer. 

- Ruben should have suited a 4-2-2-2 reasonably well because his role was to interact with teammates by linking up play. So he had some freedom to roam and look for the ball. Unfortunately he just looked as if he hadn't played for a decade. 

- More of the same from Kepa. No obvious howlers but beaten by a long shot yet again. This one was very well-placed, but Kepa's positioning was again not ideal and he seemed slow to react to it. He got a touch on it, which suggests that he could possibly have kept it out had his positioning and anticipation been better.

- Zouma was excellent. Neither of Brighton's forwards are the strongest, quickest or tallest and Zouma took full advantage of that fact by bullying them both aerially and on-the-ground. His game on-the-ball was ugly as usual, but it worked.

- From Brighton's POV, Graham Potter's 3-5-2 did a decent job cancelling out Frank's 4-2-2-2, because it not only gave them an extra-man in defence, but their wingbacks more freedom because Havertz and James aren't really two-way players. As usual, they created a lot but couldn't finish and (regrettably from a patriotic perspective) Ryan had a poor game. They should come about 15th again, but to rise up the table they need someone besides Maupay who can actually score goals. 

- On this showing, we're going to struggle against Liverpool. 3 at the back will not work against a 4-3-3 with two inside forwards with lethal pace, acceleration and off-the-ball movement, especially since our wingbacks are not the quickest. There are no great options, but given the personnel matching their 4-3-3 may be the best solution because our fullbacks will be protected more and Kante will be given more freedom to win the ball than he would be in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-2-2-2.  

Edited by DaRick

5 hours ago, Gol15 said:

We are going to overcome Arsenal this season probably.

Our points to premier league titles ratio is quite bad compared to Manchester United.  Less than half the number of titles for a not so great difference in the number of points.  The ratio is even worse for Arsenal. I guess that's what happens when you stay close to the top without consistently winning it. 

Thought we looked not fit yet, a leggy performance. Our link up in the final third was poor, particularly from RLC.

Fortunately lady luck smiled on us with the first and third goals and Dunk missing a sitter. Could have been a very different result.

Credit to Zouma and Christensen. Along with Kante for me the three of them were by far our best players.

Edited by axman2526

I never really overlook things in football as you as a player or a team are sh*te or good .

Kepa > CFC payed top $$$$$ for him so the club must have been happy to pay that huge fee and must have done numerous backround checks on his performances in Spanish League . So why is it of late that kepa is shocking at long shot stopping and dealing  with the command of his area from Free kicks or corners ? Sure this issue did not appear on his Spanish CV .

there well be a great keeper in there itching to Get out ,but what dont help kepa one bit with the fans is that game at Wembley against man city when he went against the clubs manager > this act alone has come back to bite kepa in his backside as iguess most fans would be happy to have basil brush as kepas replacement due to Wembley incident .

Personallly i have no confidence in kepa at all and its now the first name i look for when the team sheet comes public before any game . How can kepa Get out of this downward slope at chelsea ? and more to the point why did Frank start with him against Brighton ? Is slaphead got a injury who i know if played would have kept Brighton to a NIL on yesterdays game .

We shouldn't be too surprised with the performance as it was essentially last season's team. The same issues and problems showed themselves in the first few minutes. It won't be until our new defence is in place that we really see some obvious change. 

RLC is playing like a player scared to 'open up' and push himself in case he gets injured. Won't tackle hard, won't run hard, trotting about the pitch looking for the easy pass. Suggests his confidence has been badly shaken by last season's injuries. That was a worrying performance. 

I don't know what we've done to Kante but I think we've scrambled his brain. There were times last night where he was so far up the channel it was the English Channel. Please somebody simplify his game again and tell him to hold. 

Kepa what can you say?  The break has done nothing to change his 'wacky inflatable arm waving guy' approach to goal keeping. He's about as tactically aware as an inflatable as well. The price tag is the only reason he is still here I reckon. 

Werner looks absolute CLASS. we've finally got a young, quality, modern striker. Great movement, awareness and work ethic. He looked like he was going to make something happen every time he got the ball. 

When Havertz was announced I was concerned for CHO but on last nights evidence they're not that far apart in terms of ability. I think in terms of competition between those two players for a starting spot it could be very positive for the Team if Frank plays it right. 

They just said on the wireless that the last 13 shots from distance that kepa has been up against ,NINE of said shots ended up as GOALS . If chelsea had won 1-6 i still think kepa would be getting slaughtered after the game and deseverdly so .

iam not too arsed about rest of the teams performance last night as i know they will all or should Get better ,but kepa i have no confidence in at all at the moment .

will CFC land a top 4 finish with kepa as number 1 keeper ? Will CFC finish top 4 with a more competant keeper > YES 

Kepa must worry the chelsea back four senseless with his lack of form at the moment ,but not Frank > what is Frank watching that most of us cant see ? 

Yesterday game showed this team is not a unit at the moment. There was a lingering feeling of distrust among the players. When you look at the goals celebrations it felt like a formality rather then real joy that you teammate scored an important goal. Pat at the back "well done old chap...moving on". It felt like Chelsea played friendly and Brighton relegation battle. Liverpool game would be an interesting one....yesterday was not good enough for many reasons but we can cut some slack just for another few weeks to see what's really going on once we have all players available 

I know it was first game of the season and all, not had much time to train etc. etc., however I worry for Lampard this season. He is now being financially supported, and if he can't get this team to defend properly, he will be shown the door. This season he has to fix these issues. He must be banking on Silva and Chilwell hitting the ground running and staying fit for most of the season, as the usual suspects will cost us - there is no doubt about that. We have to hope that these two players, plus of course a new GK raises the levels of everyone else. 

Kepa gets worse with every game. I really don't know how we will move him on. Once/if Mendy comes in, it should breathe new confidence into the defence who have clearly lost all faith in him. Put it this way, it can't get any worse!... 

Edited by Elliott

2 hours ago, fitz said:

We shouldn't be too surprised with the performance as it was essentially last season's team. The same issues and problems showed themselves in the first few minutes. It won't be until our new defence is in place that we really see some obvious change. 

RLC is playing like a player scared to 'open up' and push himself in case he gets injured. Won't tackle hard, won't run hard, trotting about the pitch looking for the easy pass. Suggests his confidence has been badly shaken by last season's injuries. That was a worrying performance. 

I don't know what we've done to Kante but I think we've scrambled his brain. There were times last night where he was so far up the channel it was the English Channel. Please somebody simplify his game again and tell him to hold. 

Kepa what can you say?  The break has done nothing to change his 'wacky inflatable arm waving guy' approach to goal keeping. He's about as tactically aware as an inflatable as well. The price tag is the only reason he is still here I reckon. 

Werner looks absolute CLASS. we've finally got a young, quality, modern striker. Great movement, awareness and work ethic. He looked like he was going to make something happen every time he got the ball. 

When Havertz was announced I was concerned for CHO but on last nights evidence they're not that far apart in terms of ability. I think in terms of competition between those two players for a starting spot it could be very positive for the Team if Frank plays it right. 

I thought Kante had a superb game and showed some form we haven't seen for a while. He broke up a few attacks and made a number of important interceptions. His energy levels allowed him to cover more space later in the game when most other players were slowing down. He held his position for most of the game and only foraged up front in the later stages.

We should not sell. 

Overall I was pleased with the result but thought Brighton were much more up for the challenge. Maybe they had longer to work on fitness but right from the kick off Chelsea had trouble getting the ball off them. I'm hoping it was a fitness problem and not Frank and Jody not getting the players minds in the right place. We need to come out of the blocks a lot quicker if we are to get a hold on games.

The fact we had some important players either injured, not fit or banned gave Frank the chance to observe the depth of the squad. I thought Barkley did a really good job when he came on and immediately changed the dynamic of the game. His confidence to play short tight passes to open Brighton up was something we had lacked and he added a real cohesion to the mid field by doing this. Unfortunately RLC didn't take his chance and was made to look very ordinary by Barclays introduction. Maybe thats harsh on RLC but I think he will struggle to make the squad let alone the team if he carries on like that. I like his size and strength in the midfield as we have a few small players but he didn't make that count last night. I remember players like Mark Hughes who would absolutely hold off and lean into the opposition like a brick wall. Sparky used his strength. I have seen RLC run with players bouncing off him but he doesn't seem to do that now. Is he protecting his injury still or has he lost something either physical or mental? Somebody needs to get in his head and wake him up. I really like RLC and thought he was the future but his future is slipping away at Chelsea. He needs to turn that corner or he will have to leave. Shame.

James took his chance yet again. He really does know how to kick a ball. That sounds simplistic but his contact with the ball is consistently crisp and true. His crosses are accurate and his shooting is controlled. Especially for the goal. Rising all the way and dead straight at pace. He knew Chelsea were struggling at that point in the game but had the confidence to to take it on and the goal changed the whole game. Brighton had been threatening for a while and managed to get the equalizer. James deflated them with one moment of genius and I feel the last half an hour would have been very different if he hadn't. 

I thought Brighton were poor in the box and didn't seriously threaten our centre backs enough for us to form a meaningful judgement. Kepa knew he should have done better for the goal and surely even he can see the writing is on the wall. Yes it bounced in front of him but top keepers regularly save those and he doesn't. Mendy will surely go through this week. Rennes will probably raise the price after last night and Chelsea will probably pay.

Werner looked very fast and fit. He ran his heart out and was quicker than anything Brighton could muster up. He won the penalty with his acceleration and I can see him getting in behind most defences and scoring. Good player so far. His interview after the game really gave an insight into his character and he has plenty. Havertz had a poor game and could have come off earlier. I was a bit worried that his body language looked a bit like Ozil but lets put it down to a lack of fitness. 

If we can get results like that playing badly we will do well but the problem is Brighton are mostly likely to be in a relegation battle. Very early days so I'm not worried and we have some superb options to come in.

Liverpool will be a different world and Frank and Jody will have to light the blue touch paper this time.

Edited by Andy North
spelling

1 hour ago, ddrblue said:

They just said on the wireless that the last 13 shots from distance that kepa has been up against ,NINE of said shots ended up as GOALS . If chelsea had won 1-6 i still think kepa would be getting slaughtered after the game and deseverdly so .

iam not too arsed about rest of the teams performance last night as i know they will all or should Get better ,but kepa i have no confidence in at all at the moment .

will CFC land a top 4 finish with kepa as number 1 keeper ? Will CFC finish top 4 with a more competant keeper > YES 

Kepa must worry the chelsea back four senseless with his lack of form at the moment ,but not Frank > what is Frank watching that most of us cant see

The transfer negotiations.

7 hours ago, ozboy said:

Got to give credit to Lamptey and I think its a good point about Reece being a little on the slow side for RB. 

Everything else I think has been said by others lots of times except that Jorginho underperformed his usual standard in this game. His passing didn't seem anywhere near as accurate as I recall. Passes with the wrong pace on them, or a yard wide of where they needed to be. You need a lot of precision playing out from the back or in transition and I just didn't see it.

We did look so much sharper when Barkely came on. Havertz in my mind ends up in the centre but in this game out wide, with benefit of hindsight, was probably the right place.

We will get well beaten by Liverpuddle if we don't do better in midfield.

Things will change drastically when Kova is in there, he really calms the midfield down. Fantastic player.

I'm not sure who the commentators were on your streams but the ones on my stream in India were incredibly stupid and out of touch. When Jorginho scored with a technique he's been using for years, they acted surprised and said it was interesting. And they said "A bit of Bruno Fernandes about this?" or something along those lines. How are these people allowed to even talk about football.

2 hours ago, fitz said:

Agree overall, especially with your assessment of Kante. He really isn't the best player to retain possession under pressure and play intricate passing triangles. But excellent when intercepting the ball and starting quick counter attacking transitions. He probably just needs to keep it simple and quickly recycle possession.

Good to start the season with a win on the board.

Brighton were admirable for much of the evening, but our class won out in the end.

It's going to take time for Havertz to adjust to the league. Werner will be a good player from the start.

Reece James' strike was fabulous. I could watch that goal on repeat.

55 minutes ago, ashwin said:

Agree overall, especially with your assessment of Kante. He really isn't the best player to retain possession under pressure and play intricate passing triangles. But excellent when intercepting the ball and starting quick counter attacking transitions. He probably just needs to keep it simple and quickly recycle possession.

I have to disagree with this. 

He was possibly the best player on the pitch last night.

10 hours ago, mad_mac said:

I hope they watched him all game.  He was everywhere, fought for everything.  I'd love a formation that suits him and the new signings, but not sure what that is.

To be fair he didn’t come out for their goal he needed to get out and block that shot a lot more enthusiastically than he did other than that he had a decent game, I don’t know why mount doesn’t get the plaudits young players of other teams get he is quality and consistent 

1 hour ago, ashwin said:

I'm not sure who the commentators were on your streams but the ones on my stream in India were incredibly stupid and out of touch. When Jorginho scored with a technique he's been using for years, they acted surprised and said it was interesting. And they said "A bit of Bruno Fernandes about this?" or something along those lines. How are these people allowed to even talk about football.

Surprised they didn't say he scored with a googley