Malang Sarr

TomCFC85

1 hour ago, doctorblue said:

According to Telefoot, the 21-year-old has reached an agreement with Chelsea to sign a four-year contract.

While it's wonderful having gathered all this talent to date and who knows perhaps more to come, I can't help wonder how this will affect the moral of the academy players and our home grown young players who have forced their way into the first team squad.  While you could argue that it will hopefully push them further, my fear is that they may get despondent and their careers begin fade away.  

47 minutes ago, CFCCAN said:

While it's wonderful having gathered all this talent to date and who knows perhaps more to come, I can't help wonder how this will affect the moral of the academy players and our home grown young players who have forced their way into the first team squad.  While you could argue that it will hopefully push them further, my fear is that they may get despondent and their careers begin fade away.  

If they are good enough for chelsea they will play. If not they will play somewhere else. It´s not like LAmpard won´t give them a chance

48 minutes ago, CFCCAN said:

You're correct in theory, but right now there has never been a more realistic pathway from the academy to the first team, arguably since the 1990s...

1 hour ago, CFCCAN said:

Plenty of games to play for. If Lamps managed to bench Ballack, Cole and Obi Mikel back when he was playing, no reason why our academy graduates can't do the same as well

6 hours ago, CFCCAN said:

I suppose the academy players from age 8 know the drill: if you're good enough, you make the first team of Chelsea. In the meantime, you may get released, loaned out, or sold. What they want is a career, if not at Chelsea then somewhere else. Chelsea is a business as well as a football club. As such, it needs to be as successful as it can be. If that means buying talent instead of getting it from the academy, so be it. Only the supporters buy into the romance of academy players settling into the first team.

I’ll always buy into romance if that’s not a non sequiter. And Chelsea has romance cho, maybe mount, probably Rhys Williams, probably Tammy, RLC if he can get some confidence back. It’s a good list now. 

cho and Williams still in the frame to regular starters, even Tammy   Mount is most at risk of losing his spot but his work rate and linkup play seem to make the team play better. None of the central defenders were really locked in and by the end of the season they knew it. Tomori hardly featured post lockdown. Christenson has had years to claim a first team spot but it hasn’t really happened. Rudigier is great in many ways but sometimes he looks like a Sunday arvo in the park player only rougher. Alonso and Dave also likely to play less but neither is academy product. 

41 minutes ago, ozboy said:

I’ll always buy into romance if that’s not a non sequiter. And Chelsea has romance cho, maybe mount, probably Rhys Williams, probably Tammy, RLC if he can get some confidence back. It’s a good list now. 

cho and Williams still in the frame to regular starters, even Tammy   Mount is most at risk of losing his spot but his work rate and linkup play seem to make the team play better. None of the central defenders were really locked in and by the end of the season they knew it. Tomori hardly featured post lockdown. Christenson has had years to claim a first team spot but it hasn’t really happened. Rudigier is great in many ways but sometimes he looks like a Sunday arvo in the park player only rougher. Alonso and Dave also likely to play less but neither is academy product. 

???

Assume you mean Reece James ?

Obligatory Youtube video for all.

To me this looks like a very clever signing, i hope we're planning on using him and not shipping him straight out. A left footed CB that can play out from the back and cover out wide when needed. If we're already selling Emerson i see no reason why Alonso can't go too. Much like City now have with Ake, Sarr would give us cover at CB and LB. Made even better by the fact he's completely free. 

Looks to have a great left foot, and passing range. I think he will go straight out on loan though, probably to the bundesliga. 

He could become a very good bargaining chip at the very least. 

If he does stay, then he is a decent option at centre back and left back, and if we do ever play a 3, he would be great at left centre back  

4 hours ago, big blue said:

Looks to have a great left foot, and passing range. I think he will go straight out on loan though, probably to the bundesliga. 

He could become a very good bargaining chip at the very least. 

If he does stay, then he is a decent option at centre back and left back, and if we do ever play a 3, he would be great at left centre back  

Did occur to me that he might get wrapped into a package for Declan Rice ... West Ham were supposedly very interested in signing Sarr ... so maybe we offer them a bit of cash, a couple of players outright and a loan for Sarr ... ?

Hopefully he will get a chance in pre-season to stake a claim to be part of our squad though ... assuming he does actually sign. With an ability to play CB or left back, he sounds like the left footed centre back that we don't have  🙂