Welcome to Chelsea Ben Chilwell

3 hours ago, Droopy said:

Never cease to amaze me how people interpret statements. I don't blame particular people I blame the way they think. And I say many people here think the same way - they care about this goddamn useless matches. And it's true.  And yes, they are the reason these matches still exist via their 19th century thinking that representing your country is such a big honor and deal. No, it's not. It hasn't been since countries like France, Netherlands, Germany, England and even Italy started to make transfers so to speak of players from different parts of the world. 

These matches should have been forgotten long time ago but because of the fools and their blind interest they are still here, interrupting the first half of the season three times a year. 

Harry Maguire, an abomination of a football player he is cost United 80 bloody millions because he scored some headers  against Colombia, Panama and Paraguay. And that because people think these matches matter. 

Who are the many people on here who endorse these matches? most, nearly everyone is against them.

Some had their doubts, I was one of them but he is playing better than I thought he would and he's making a great impact already.

Also he has already won more PL titles than Arsenal in the last 15+ years so DNA analysis suggests he's our material.

16 hours ago, Gol15 said:

Some had their doubts, I was one of them but he is playing better than I thought he would and he's making a great impact already.

Also he has already won more PL titles than Arsenal in the last 15+ years so DNA analysis suggests he's our material.

It was a great game for him but he hasn't won any PL titles yet.

I was just thinking, imagine having Alonso or Emerson there tonight instead? With how much Sevilla pushed up against the left in the 2nd half, it would've been awful for us. And the likelihood is, we would've conceded a goal. Chilwell was excellent going forward and defending. 

Glenn Hoddle was spot on, he's playing like he has been here for years, he really feels at home here. 

I don't want to jump the gun because there's plenty of time and he's only played a few games, but it looks like I was very wrong on this signing. Fingers crossed it stays that way. 

On 18/10/2020 at 03:00, Gol15 said:

I don't think Chilwell played at all when Leicester won the title - meaning he probably doesn't have a winners medal?

Well, Chilwell looks some player. And I'm glad the board backed Frank here.

I wonder how much overlap there is between the Reguilon fanbase (and the constant criticism of this move for Chilwell) and the fanbase that cannot go a page without criticizing Mount. I would assume there's a strong correlation because both have an element of irrationality and over-inference to the judgements despite not knowing any of the tactical thought that goes into these decisions. When Mount came off yesterday (presumably for rest), we did not win the ball high up the pitch even once and Sevilla completely controlled the game. While all our attackers had a relatively poor game yesterday, Mount plays a role that Werner, Ziyech and Pulisic simply cannot.

I expect we will see all those going over the top on how bad he is will now come back in here and admit they were possibly wrong? Thats going to happen, right?

Hes been outstanding since he came, he has fit right in at the club immediately and is showing just why we paid a decent wedge for him. Long may it continue.

1 hour ago, dkw said:

I expect we will see all those going over the top on how bad he is will now come back in here and admit they were possibly wrong? Thats going to happen, right?

Hes been outstanding since he came, he has fit right in at the club immediately and is showing just why we paid a decent wedge for him. Long may it continue.

I wanted Chelsea to go for Tagliafico over Chilwell but that was mainly due to the price, Marina did an excellent job getting Leicester down to 50m from the asking price of 80m. I also wanted Tagliafico because I believe he is a better defender who is in his prime and would've allowed Maatsen to develop further and we can eventually integrate him into the team.

I have to say I have been pleasantly surprised with his performances so far.

Although there was some whining by the usual lot, most were mostly concerned with the price rather than Chilwell's quality. I preferred some one like Reguilon, which was cheaper and also has quality, but understood that a buy-back clause by Real Madrid was dangerous knowing that we needed a long-term fix for the LB. Good job from Marina to bring price down and getting Frank's first option. I never thought he would not be good, it was more the price tag.

11 hours ago, ashwin said:

Well, Chilwell looks some player. And I'm glad the board backed Frank here.

I wonder how much overlap there is between the Reguilon fanbase (and the constant criticism of this move for Chilwell) and the fanbase that cannot go a page without criticizing Mount. I would assume there's a strong correlation because both 

I can think of one straight away.

Funnily enough I think he was also adamant Tagliafico was a better option and used the club's preference of Ben as a stick to beat them with, well Tagliafico has just scored one of the most hilarious own goals you're ever likely to see.

14 hours ago, dkw said:

Well I've just done that. And I thought Chilwell was destined to flop here, he didn't look Chelsea material to me at all. 

But I'm very happy to be wrong, and hopefully keep being wrong. He looks a player so far. 

Happy to see him doing well, particularly going forward. 

I was a chief sceptic of this deal, but always happy to see someone exceed expectations. We will know more about him after the next few weeks when potentially we are challenged a bit more defensively, but so far so good.