Welcome to Chelsea Ben Chilwell

Jezz

Don’t think that’s the case. The Leicester fans also said the same, he did well early in the season and then diluted into mediocrity, and that was when fans were going to the stadiums. So we got what we bought, apparently.

10 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

Everything we are seeing from him in recent months is the reason why I didn't want us to sign him. He can be good, like he was at the start of the season, but at this current point in his career, he doesn't seem to have it in him to keep it going. The thing is, I don't think it's an issue with his quality, it looks more like an attitude problem.

It's his lack of aggression in attack that bugs me, he's a decent defender and technically sound but it comes to making a proper impact in attacking play he's so unbelievably passive. Compared to the two Scotland LB's in this league the difference is night and day on that score.

Edited by Argo

4 hours ago, nonotnowjim said:

Awful performance in his favored back 4.  How much did we pay for him? At the time the media were reporting that we were looking at Chilly, Reguilon and Telles. Would probably take both of those over Ben at the moment.

£60m I think, looks like we got ripped off but still early days. The bunny hop he does when he gets dispossessed and his lack of recovery pace is worrying though.

On 13/03/2021 at 19:36, Argo said:

It's his lack of aggression in attack that bugs me, he's a decent defender and technically sound but it comes to making a proper impact in attacking play he's so unbelievably passive. Compared to the two Scotland LB's in this league the difference is night and day on that score.

That’s an excellent description: passive. Could use that to describe all of our attacking play recently but Chilwell epitomizes it. Somebody needs to start taking risks, and soon.

On 14/03/2021 at 02:12, ducavis said:

£60m I think, looks like we got ripped off but still early days. The bunny hop he does when he gets dispossessed and his lack of recovery pace is worrying though.

I think its £50m with potential add ons taking it to £60m

• 3 weeks later...

Even ignoring the goal I thought he played alright last night. 

There was a moment late in the game, some time after the 80th minute, when we lost possession deep into Porto's half. Chilwell was one of the most advanced players in our team but he busted a gut to get back into a defensive position.

That in itself isn't praise worthy but I think it contrasts with the way that Alonso plays who is a lot more casual about the defensive side of the game. 

Overall I would place Chilwell as No 1 LB and obviously last nights goal was superb, but he has recently been going to ground too easily. He also got away with a dive last night in the opponents half. Do that closer to his own goal and he's in trouble.

• 2 weeks later...

Alonso seems to have fallen out of favour. Chilly has played quite a lot recently so I expect Alonso to have a few games here and there for rotation and avoiding tiredness but his defensive liability was on full display vs West Brom I guess Tuchel saw enough. 

Chilly was on a bad run of form when Tuchel took over. Glad he's improving.

Edited by Valhalla

Honestly I would favour Emerson to Alonso as a wingback now. Least he has the engine to get up and down.

Chilwell has been really good of late.

We should either sell Alonso or test him at lCB or in the front 3. The former he played in Italy, for the latter we know he has an eye for goal.

On 18/04/2021 at 16:07, axman2526 said:

Honestly I would favour Emerson to Alonso as a wingback now. Least he has the engine to get up and down.

Chilwell has been really good of late.

We should either sell Alonso or test him at lCB or in the front 3. The former he played in Italy, for the latter we know he has an eye for goal.

No Emerson is done at Chelsea, he has the engine yes but is positional sense is not good enough and panics under pressure. His longest run was 1-2month of football once in 3-4years?While Alonso lacks concentration and is sometimes too calm at least he wont get bullied, has a sniff for goal and can put a shift in. (He even played in back four against Man City, last year i think. 🙃

Your idea with LCB and of course the false three is worthy thou. 

When we first showed an interest in him I was fairly positive after some bright performances for Leicester although I wasn’t keen on the money they wanted for him. When we bought him I thought we paid 20m over the top for him but was fairly happy that we had secured his signature. Now after the best part of a season with us I get increasingly frustrated with him as the games go by. What happened to the full back that ran at people and delivered excellent crosses? All I’m seeing is a wide player that constantly passes it backwards and sh*ts himself when presented with an opportunity in the opponents box. w**ker

3 hours ago, Osgoodwasgood said:

When we first showed an interest in him I was fairly positive after some bright performances for Leicester although I wasn’t keen on the money they wanted for him. When we bought him I thought we paid 20m over the top for him but was fairly happy that we had secured his signature. Now after the best part of a season with us I get increasingly frustrated with him as the games go by. What happened to the full back that ran at people and delivered excellent crosses? All I’m seeing is a wide player that constantly passes it backwards and sh*ts himself when presented with an opportunity in the opponents box. w**ker

His confidence certainly took a hit. Maybe the occasion got to him? It is his first CL semifinal after all

6 hours ago, Osgoodwasgood said:

I think this is a bit harsh. I am still waiting to have my opinion on him completely changed, but he's been better than I thought he was going to be for us. I am actually quite impressed with his defending most of the time, which is something I was worried about the most when we signed him. I do agree that he needs to be better in attack though, which is odd because I thought it was his attacking game we were supposed to be interested in the most.

Every so often I get reminded of why I never wanted us to sign him, but overall, I think he has been better than I thought he would be. When he was at Leicester, I didn't even rate him higher than Alonso or Emerson, but I would take him over the pair of them easily right now.

10 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I think this is a bit harsh. I am still waiting to have my opinion on him completely changed, but he's been better than I thought he was going to be for us. I am actually quite impressed with his defending most of the time, which is something I was worried about the most when we signed him. I do agree that he needs to be better in attack though, which is odd because I thought it was his attacking game we were supposed to be interested in the most.

He's been excellent defensive wise and he's good technically but my issue is he is so passive in the attacking phase and struggles to find effective relationships with his winger Infront of him (he had the same problem connecting with Harvey Barnes at Leicester).

He's not bad by any stretch of the imagination but I'm unconvinced he's got enough in an attacking sense.

He could have played better but he basically locked Vinicius down. The amount of space he had to cover was crazy 

Fantastic engine. If he trains his shots and deliveries, he might just turn out to be something special this lad

He's already a special player in my opinion. Young, excellent defensively, great stamina, and good at retaining possession/winning fouls. He's never going to be the Robertson type of LB that puts in crazy deliveries but one that brings others into the game and often makes the right decisive pass. Don't expect him to take players on and whip deliveries round the back of the defensive line, you will be disappointed. 3 goals and 7 assists is an excellent return for any LB.

Curious how those that wanted us to sign Telles or Regulion ahead of Chilwell are feeling about the signing now? 

Telles has managed just 8 league appearances for United playing second fiddle to an admittedly impressive Luke Shaw. 

Regulion has fared slightly better at Spurs but hasn't really won many plaudits either. 

16 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Curious how those that wanted us to sign Telles or Regulion ahead of Chilwell are feeling about the signing now? 

Telles has managed just 8 league appearances for United playing second fiddle to an admittedly impressive Luke Shaw. 

Regulion has fared slightly better at Spurs but hasn't really won many plaudits either. 

Of the 3, I thought Chilwell was the worst at the time, I'm glad he is proving me wrong. I still think he has a bit of a way to go before I am fully convinced by him, but he's certainly improved this season compared to last.