Following our Nearest & Dearest Rivals 2020/21

11 minutes ago, The Brit said:

Well part from city running away with it 

Yeah absolutely. Well 2 months ago I said it was Liverpools in the bag, before City went on this crazy run. But with it being at this stage in the season, I can't see anyone beating them for it. United are overrated garbage. 

You guys think City will overtake us in the near future in the number of league titles won? We still have our CL trophy over them but if they win the league this season then they will have won it 3 times in the last 4 years. Just a random thought. 

Edited by Valhalla
1 hour ago, Valhalla said:

You guys think City will overtake us in the near future in the number of league titles won? We still have our CL trophy over them but if they win the league this season then they will have won it 3 times in the last 4 years. Just a random thought. 

Yeah likely. We’ve definitely fallen behind City and Liverpool the last few seasons and dropped down a level. I know City are perceived as being dodgy and FFP but they are largely a well ran club. No wonder Pep chose them over us (though we are a well ran club but just in a different way). 

Edited by JM7
1 hour ago, Valhalla said:

City have a huge advantage over us with their owners. They get to bypass FFP no matter what they do, you'll notice that City have never had to sell any of their star players, unlike every other club. 

6 hours ago, Slojo said:

City have a huge advantage over us with their owners. They get to bypass FFP no matter what they do, you'll notice that City have never had to sell any of their star players, unlike every other club. 

Roman could do it too but he decided to change our model to one that is self-sustaining. That being said City gets a free pass because the governing body is corrupt as hell 

I mean it's a mix of excellent ownership (nothing they do is notably more shady than having Roman bankroll us from the start), combined with the fact that they made 128m more over five years than we did -- simply through the CL consistently and going far in it. Quality on the pitch pays off, and Chelsea haven't met that with the same consistent basis. This is partly why managers get sacked when it's not looking favorable for the top four spaces.

On a related note: 

It's also important to note that our commercial revenue looks quite poor given the status Chelsea has. Spurs themselves were 162m last season while we were only 170m; that's a minimal difference to what the difference in club achievements is. Compare that further to MUFC £279m, MCFC £250m and LFC £214m. It makes sense then that Roman has to constantly either cover losses (which isn't so sustainable) or continue with player sales, since much of our revenue is dependent on the CL - which is why again, Lampard might have been sacked now than later. 

It also shows we have to be more careful with our player purchases since our wages and operating costs are so high, especially since we don't have a 50,000+ capacity stadium like literally every other top club out there to help with revenue (excluding the CL like was spoken of above).  

16 hours ago, Slojo said:

Yeah absolutely. Well 2 months ago I said it was Liverpools in the bag, before City went on this crazy run. But with it being at this stage in the season, I can't see anyone beating them for it. United are overrated garbage. 

Hyperbole for me, though not the best team with the attacking players they have can beat anyone on their day and by using counter attacking tactics quite a few more.

1 hour ago, MANoWAR said:

I mean it's a mix of excellent ownership (nothing they do is notably more shady than having Roman bankroll us from the start), combined with the fact that they made 128m more over five years than we did -- simply through the CL consistently and going far in it. Quality on the pitch pays off, and Chelsea haven't met that with the same consistent basis. This is partly why managers get sacked when it's not looking favorable for the top four spaces.

They do have the worlds most dodgy sponsorship deals. 

As in through Abu Dhabi groups yes it's very shifty that they can circumvent through certain ways that others can't which seem very dubious in their legitimacy, but I don't think doing that is any more 'dodgy' than any of Chelsea's funding or that Roman wouldn't be able to pull a few strings himself (and to be honest, who knows if he does..)

Edited by MANoWAR
1 hour ago, MANoWAR said:

It also shows we have to be more careful with our player purchases since our wages and operating costs are so high, especially since we don't have a 50,000+ capacity stadium like literally every other top club out there to help with revenue (excluding the CL like was spoken of above).  

This is a very good point, our new signings must do well for us. Man City hasn't failed with their biggest signings in the recent years but we on the other hand...