Following our Nearest & Dearest Rivals 2020/21

59 minutes ago, TheSage said:

He looked very good against us (probably because our defenders are crap). In all the other matches I've seen him play he looks decent at best. 

I watched many of his games in the academy, was always great going forward but was a worry defending, like many modern full backs to be honest. I sound like an old man, I just miss proper defending. 

11 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

Can’t really laugh, same thing pretty much happened to us...

Except we all knew we would concede goals - Kepa, defenders blah blah blah - and we were fairly certain with 20 to go that they would equalise , it was inevitable, just a question of time, but that lot, 3 up with 8 minutes of normal time left, the prodigal son returning and on the pitch with god harry, Jose and that mob all with their hard on’s - what could go wrong ? 

Oh how I f**king laughed 🤣🤣

41 minutes ago, Floyd25 said:

There isn’t a single team in this league that knows how to defend anymore, modern football. I’m just rewatching an old game from 2005 and in contrast the defending is phenomenal. 

I think the problem is that defenders are frighted to tackle anyone these days; getting a yellow or red is mandatory these days when the opponent does the roll around and theatrics together with a fear of a handball has killed the art of defending and tackling.

18 minutes ago, CFCCAN said:

I think the problem is that defenders are frighted to tackle anyone these days; getting a yellow or red is mandatory these days when the opponent does the roll around and theatrics together with a fear of a handball has killed the art of defending and tackling.

That's true.

As much as I love the art of defending, and it is great when you see top defenders like JT and Maldini reading the game so well, I think it's a good thing for the game that the attackers seam to have the upper hand. When Chelsea aren't involved, as a neutral I would much rather watch a 3-3, 7-2 than a 0-0 or 1-0.

Long may it last (as long as we stop conceding goals for fun).

34 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

Barkley left in space 35 yards out wins the match for Villa, good strike that man!

Villa are second in the table 

I wouldn't begrudge Everton or Villa top 4 

8F4F9437-4049-4C85-9D4C-645683109C04.png

Edited by Brutos
9 hours ago, MayosNoun! said:

Kane plays striker however often drops deep and the two wingers almost go into a two striker formation at times. It’s quite a unique approach. The wingers then run wide or run in behind and Kane usually finds them. Defenders can’t cope with it. 

Played this style in first spell as chelsea manager...Gudjohnsen more effective than Drogba initially dropped deep and would play in robben and duff

8 hours ago, MayosNoun! said:

What a f**king goal man. 

Couldn’t believe sky pundits post match discussing whether it was a keeper error...FFS can’t a great goal be scored these days without someone trying to ruin/diminish it by looking for someone to blame?
everything looks easy to stop in super slow mo and fancy gadgets. 

Edited by The Brit

the level of outcry over pickford's tackle on van dijk is getting a bit mental now. yes it was a shocking tackle and a disgrace at that. but it's being treated like the first horrific challenge ever made on a footballer. As per usual, whenever the scousers are involved, things get blown out of all proportion. now you have journos/ex players calling for pickford to be banned as long as van dijk is out injured. Bonkers.

And Danny Murphy had to cap it all off by saying on match of the day last night that Virgil - I was tonked 7-2 by Aston Villa a fortnight ago - Van Dijk is the best defender of all timmmmmmmme.

Edited by The Brit
1 hour ago, The Brit said:

the level of outcry over pickford's tackle on van dijk is getting a bit mental now. yes it was a shocking tackle and a disgrace at that. but it's being treated like the first horrific challenge ever made on a footballer. As per usual, whenever the scousers are involved, things get blown out of all proportion. now you have journos/ex players calling for pickford to be banned as long as van dijk is out injured. Bonkers.

And Danny Murphy had to cap it all off by saying on match of the day last night that Virgil - I was tonked 7-2 by Aston Villa a fortnight ago - Van Dijk is the best defender of all timmmmmmmme.

Never seen a tackle like it:

6 hours ago, The Brit said:

the level of outcry over pickford's tackle on van dijk is getting a bit mental now. yes it was a shocking tackle and a disgrace at that. but it's being treated like the first horrific challenge ever made on a footballer. As per usual, whenever the scousers are involved, things get blown out of all proportion. now you have journos/ex players calling for pickford to be banned as long as van dijk is out injured.

I'm not even surprised anymore, I'm half expecting black armbands and specially made t-shirts this coming weekend.

Also I've noticed there's not any big outcry or condemnation about the racist abuse Richarlison has suffered on social media by some Liverpool fans.

The media have just called it "threats" instead.

1 hour ago, 2211 said:

I'm not even surprised anymore, I'm half expecting black armbands and specially made t-shirts this coming weekend.

Also I've noticed there's not any big outcry or condemnation about the racist abuse Richarlison has suffered on social media by some Liverpool fans.

The media have just called it "threats" instead.

police now investigating death threats/abuse made to pickford and richarlison...also seen pickford's partner has had threats too. Look forward to the front/back page headlines calling Liverpool fans a disgrace etc in the same way Chelsea's contingent of numpties are

19 minutes ago, The Brit said:

police now investigating death threats/abuse made to pickford and richarlison...also seen pickford's partner has had threats too. Look forward to the front/back page headlines calling Liverpool fans a disgrace etc in the same way Chelsea's contingent of numpties are

I have no reason to doubt that the press coverage will be the same as it was for the alleged death threats towards Frisk.

9 hours ago, The Brit said:

Every f**king time, you should've seen Souness, even Carragher was telling him to stop being so dramatic. 

Whenever anything happens to Liverpool or United, our main football broadcasting stations will always make a huge point about it and say "things have to change going forward". Every single time this happens, no other club gets this sort of defence. But that's what happens when you only hire United and Liverpool pundits. 

8 hours ago, The Brit said:

In fairness to the media, the death threats etc is on quite a few back pages. A bit of a surprise given their No 1 commandment of thou shalt not criticise Liverpool 

Interesting to compare it to this:

https://talksport.com/football/478289/stephen-hunt-has-thanked-gentleman-petr-cech-for-not-taking-an-easy-shot-at-him/

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2006/oct/16/newsstory.sport7

1 hour ago, PloKoon13 said:

I'll never forget how the Cech (and Cudicini) injury was covered. It was portrayed as big bullies Chelsea picking on Reading. Even Jose moaning about the terrible medical practice in place at the stadium, which has since been improved everywhere as a result, was seen as Mourinho just moaning etc...Cech could have died FFS!

35 minutes ago, The Brit said:

I'll never forget how the Cech (and Cudicini) injury was covered. It was portrayed as big bullies Chelsea picking on Reading. Even Jose moaning about the terrible medical practice in place at the stadium, which has since been improved everywhere as a result, was seen as Mourinho just moaning etc...Cech could have died FFS!

Yes. But the ref whose handling of the two life-threatening incidents in the game was so scandalous was rightly condemned on all sides and has never been heard from again.

Sorry, I meant 'was promoted to be the top refereeing official in the game whose influence is still profound to this day'.