Following our Nearest & Dearest Rivals 2020/21

I thought the match was pretty even up until Cavani in injury time.

There were some tasty incidents too, Pickford looked like he was going to take out Maguire with a knee to his mid region.

Maguire took out Digne which looked a penalty until it was ruled off-side.

Coleman and Fernandes had a wrestling match on the half-way line that MMA might have appreciated. 

40 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

Just over a year ago, Southampton were recovering from being beaten 9-0 at home to Leicester.........now they are top of the table. Only in the Premier League 😆

I think the Saints board deserve great credit for believing in their manager , it would have been very easy to sack him on the back of that defeat. Hassenhutl has done well too in keeping his players onside and believing in his methods.

16 minutes ago, charierre said:

I think the Saints board deserve great credit for believing in their manager , it would have been very easy to sack him on the back of that defeat. Hassenhutl has done well too in keeping his players onside and believing in his methods.

I felt so sorry for Hassenhutl watching that interview after the result. He seemed a beaten man who was just throwing out old cliches to keep his job. 

What a turnaround though. He just seems a likeable guy and he’s clearly a very talented manager. 

1 hour ago, carrickblue said:

how Bamford's left arm can make him offside is beyond me - you can't score with your arm or hand, it shouldn't count as offside

It was a ridiculous decision. Var is getting so many things wrong again this season despite the fact the refs can now view a monitor and change it.

On 05/11/2020 at 06:14, Munkworth said:

So you’re not a fan?

Mourinho used to leave three smaller, quicker players up the pitch because it at very least meant they opposition had to leave four players to mark them and it left the box clearer for the defenders/Cech to come take the ball. If he did catch it, it’d be played out like a shot on to put us straight on the counter. No idea why we ever stopped, it worked great!

To pull it off you need players with a reputation for being unstoppably quick. We stopped because we eventually lacked the players to pull it off. With Drogba required in the box for defensive duty, our 'quicker' player options were Shevchenko, Malouda and Kalou. Any team who did their homework knew they could gamble against that.

A lot of current set-piece strategy is based around blocking the keeper and exploiting uncertainty, so getting more opposition players away from the penalty area is a great outcome. However, the strategy is completely vulnerable to the short corner, which is a very popular modern strategy.