20/21 League Position?

Vote for your guess at league position  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Where will Chelsea finish this season

We have a 30 points deficet to make up, so realistically halving that should be minimum expectation. 75-78 pts would normally get you 3rd/4th. Anything more would be great , less would be disappointing.

Edited by charierre

I think 3rd.  You still have to give respect to Liverpool and if City get Messi then that just makes them incredibly stronger than they already are.  Plus I can't see them being 18 points off the pace again.  We have the rest covered easily though and will finish 3rd quite comfortably I feel.

Anything above 3rd or 4th is a surprise.

Liverpool is the side that could have a dip this season. They won CL and Prem in following seasons. What do they go after now? Mentally that much harder to compete. One or two major injuries and everyone else looks to capitalize.

City made 2 very smart signings and they failed massively last term.

ManU is stronger now. Arsenal looks like they can defend. Tottenham is a big question...

Still a work in progress. New GK could be key. I dont see us competig at the level of liverpool and city (especially if Messi comes) so we will be in the second tier battle along with the newly revived United and Arsenal. Interesting to see 3 superpower clubs all seeming to be on the verge of returning to greatness at the same time. If we can get 3rd and top the other 2 next season, I think we are set to become the new dominant force once Citys team falls off the cliff and Liverpool lose klopp and/or salah. United and Arsenal will both feel the same, although neither have strengthened as well as we have so far.

1 hour ago, Bluesince66 said:

I've changed my mind from what I originally said,I feel we will be fighting for 4th at best,i still think it will be a topsy-turvy season with players still adapting to the Premier,and I hope im wrong but I still worry about defense and goalkeeper. 

You don't worry about the midfield. Do you know Rudiger? What do you know about him? I'm asking. In world football, if you mention a partnership of Thiago Silva and Rudiger in central defense anywhere in the world, is there any fear that comes to your heart? 

I mean what worries you about our defense. Ok goalkeeper, do you remember the circumstances that made us to purchase Kepa. If good teams don't want to sell their best goalkeepers to us and Kepa was the only option available when we needed a goalkeeper, what do you expect the club to do? But for me, he may have a weakness, which I think is his height, aside that if the team is well set up, the goalkeeper will not have much to do. So you shouldn't be worried about the goalkeeper.

Now, coming to setting a team up well. The last time we won the league, I think we had Matic and Kante together in midfield. After that we bought Bakayoko. But Bakayoko flopped. What stopped the club from getting another defensive midfielder to replace him? I think you have to ask that to the club. Because how can a team have only one defensive midfielder. Maybe Sarri could do that, maybe he has his own style. But just check the way teams like PSG and Bayern Munich set up in the Champions league final. In the midfield, PSG had Marquinho, Herrera and Paredes. Bayern had Goretzka, Thiago Alcantara and Muller. 

You can see France National team, in the midfield, you have Kante and Matuidi. So for me, a team must have two proper and strong defensive midfielders in the midfield to do the defensive duties in the midfield. Maybe some of us don't know that there are defensive duties in the midfield.

Chelsea cannot be playing only Kante as the only DM in the midfield with two soft legged attacking midfielders in front of him, who will do the defending in the midfield? We keep complaining that the defense is not good when we concede goals, but is it the fault of the defense if we don't put good defensive midfielders in front of them in the midfield. When the right kind of players are in the midfield, the defense will be okay. If not, the defense will be bad. So, we need to fix our midfield. Don't be afraid for our defense or goalkeeper, be afraid for our midfield.

You remember when we have Makalele, Essien and Lampard. That's the kind of midfield I feel we should have. To get that, if we get Declan Rice, Kante, Declan Rice and Havertz can play together in the midfield and all the other pretenders we have in that midfield can come off the bench occasionally. Some of them can also be sold. 

Edited by hephzibah

Please what happened to 2nd?, With this team. Once we have good bench, with players who can come in to allow the starters to rest sometimes. Once we have a good bench of players that can come in and make a difference. We can. But we shouldn't think that because of what we have done in this transfer window, we are now at the level of Liverpool. Compare our team with Liverpool. They have

Alison- is he not the best goalkeeper in the world

Van dijk- is he not the best defender in the world

Arnold- is he not the best right back in the world

Robertson- is he not one of the best left backs in the world

Fabinho- is he not one of the best midfielders in the world

Wijnaldum, Henderson

Mane, SALAH, Firmino. 

They have a great bench: oxlade Chamberlain, Keita, Shaqiri, Minamino, Milner, Origi.

Wow. I don't think we have this type of team yet. But maybe we can be second.

Chelseafc.png

If we are struggling to get 4th I suspect questions will be getting asked. We shouldn't be battling with anyone other than city and pool any struggles with United or Leicester is a failure
I am not sure about those expectations. Make top four but in terms of points be a lot closer to the top. Anyone of ManU, Arsenal, Tottenham can have a great season behind Pool and City.

I also predict Liverpool could suffer from a hangover. Two perfect seasons. What do they aim for next. No new players.
I am not sure about those expectations. Make top four but in terms of points be a lot closer to the top. Anyone of ManU, Arsenal, Tottenham can have a great season behind Pool and City.

I also predict Liverpool could suffer from a hangover. Two perfect seasons. What do they aim for next. No new players.

I hear you but I feeling looking at the additions city and pool should be the target if we are not matching them weekly then something is wrong. We should have enough to out score teams we can't stop from scoring and should be better defensively with Silva but only if we stop the suicidal defensive setup.

The first 10 we should be no more than a point maybe two behind city and pool. We have to start strong set a good tempo get momentum and keep it. I don't expect us to win the league but I also don't expect us to be struggle to beat Brighton or Southampton no disrespect to them.

I hear you but I feeling looking at the additions city and pool should be the target if we are not matching them weekly then something is wrong. We should have enough to out score teams we can't stop from scoring and should be better defensively with Silva but only if we stop the suicidal defensive setup.

The first 10 we should be no more than a point maybe two behind city and pool. We have to start strong set a good tempo get momentum and keep it. I don't expect us to win the league but I also don't expect us to be struggle to beat Brighton or Southampton no disrespect to them.
I hope our defensive additions fix our leaky defence. By that we can expect to concede 15-20 less goals. Adding into the attack we now have goalscoring quality whuch should add to more goals. In simple terms we should now be a bit better at both ends. That could still go so far. I don't see us having the title challenging squad just yet. Frank is also such a young manager it would be close to a miracle/lucky season for us.

Given the players we have signed, I would say that 3rd in the league is a bare minimum. I think once our team gels we could be something special. And we will have a decent squad depth which will be crucial. 

the only concern for me currently is our goal keeper. 

For me we are still unbalanced, though stronger in attack our defensive midfield is the same.

Teams will likely try to draw us in hit and still hit us on the counter attack, Chilwell will be slightly better defensively and Silva unknown yet you still need a decent defensive midfield pairing.

Kante may make a full recovery, Kovacic is not really a sitting DM and Jorginho is not suited in a fluid set-up to defend.

Then we have Kepa.

We will probably hammer some teams and lose to other defensive minded teams we would expect to beat. 

That is unless we recruit more before the October deadline. 

I've went for 3rd, I should say I would expect it to be a comfortable third based on the business we've done while cutting the gap to City and Liverpool by a decent margin. I can't see us winning the league unless all of our signings gel and hit the ground running immediately and we sign a new goalkeeper. I think this will be a transitional year, while Frank & Jody figure out the best team, the players get to understand each other and gel as a team and the overseas players adapt to playing in the PL. Then next season we should really push for the title.

It'll be an interesting year one way or another.