Edouard Mendy to Chelsea!

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

For sure I'd rather work on central defence and keeper than this BS about Declan Rice as another defensive midfielder. Keepers have a few more years in them than outfield players but there has to be a limit to what you pay for a moderate 29 year old. I won't be surprised if we end up with him even so. Caballero has to be coming to the end so even if we are keeping kepa as no 1 we need a no 2.

Kepa could improve, there must be some reason why he was highly rated at the beginning.

Edited by ozboy

20 minutes ago, ozboy said:

For sure I'd rather work on central defence and keeper than this BS about Declan Rice as another defensive midfielder. Keepers have a few more years in them than outfield players but there has to be a limit to what you pay for a moderate 29 year old. I won't be surprised if we end up with him even so. Caballero has to be coming to the end so even if we are keeping kepa as no 1 we need a no 2.

Kepa could improve, there must be some reason why he was highly rated at the beginning.

The thought seems to be to play Rice as a CB 

1 hour ago, ozboy said:

Yeah I do not see Rice coming this window soloing as West ham sell others, like the lad to west Bromwich today.

11 hours ago, Sexyfootball said:

On the basis of the highlight videos on Youtube, I think I prefer Onana 🙂

I think the management have seen some sort of element in Onana's game which they don't like hence we are not pursuing him as he seems attainable at a reasonable fee.

I think Lampard wants someone who can dominate and command the box and establish aerial dominance hence the focus on Mendy who seems to have the attributes to do that. 

3 minutes ago, Imran_CFC said:

I think the management have seen some sort of element in Onana's game which they don't like hence we are not pursuing him as he seems attainable at a reasonable fee.

I think Lampard wants someone who can dominate and command the box and establish aerial dominance hence the focus on Mendy who seems to have the attributes to do that. 

Yes I think this is the case too. I just prefer the xg stat that says Onana stops more attempts that should end up in the back of the net 🙂 , and I think he also has a higher overall save percentage (might be wrong on that), though both are apparently comfortably over 70%, compared to Kepa who is languishing in the 50s ... so I guess either Mendy or Onana will be an improvement !

On 03/09/2020 at 12:45, Imran_CFC said:

Onana's actually good at commanding his area he's just a bit unorthodox about it so to a casual observer it can look like he's a bit dodgy.

His big weakness is sweeping.

As a short term fix, Romero or even Ben foster would do a job for a season or 2, while we are sorting out Kepa, or he improves magically. I just don't see us getting a quality GK this time, yes this Mendy guy looked good, but are we going to spend big money on another first choice GK after just 2 seasons?

Its strange we seem to looking at keepers in ligue 1 like Mendy and Maignan, but we haven't been linked with Rajkovic who kept the most clean sheets, and conceded the least goals. Apparently PSG are looking at him, and i cant see a club like Reims turning down £20m even with Europa league football. Only 24 aswell.

9 hours ago, big blue said:

Its strange we seem to looking at keepers in ligue 1 like Mendy and Maignan, but we haven't been linked with Rajkovic who kept the most clean sheets, and conceded the least goals. Apparently PSG are looking at him, and i cant see a club like Reims turning down £20m even with Europa league football. Only 24 aswell.

I'm sure he's on our radar, and there's probably a reason why we haven't made a bid for him.

4 hours ago, JM7 said:

Apparently his save percentage is 46% so he’s not much of an upgrade on Kepa.  

Apparently it is Cech who is leading the recruitment and has identified Mendy. Not really sure what to make of it all. 

Where did you get 46% from? His save percentage last season was around 75% which is a huge upgrade on Kepa who had a save percentage of around 53%

He's also 6ft 6 in which makes him 5 inches taller than Kepa. Due to that height he is very comfortable collecting crosses and dominating his box unlike Kepa who literally stays rooted to his goal line

Also, it's a good thing Cech is leading the recruitment, he knows exactly what is required for a GK to be play at the highest level and what attributes are needed to play in the Premier League

Mendy isn't world class but he appears to be a good keeper and a massive upgrade on Kepa

1 hour ago, Sparkz said:

Where did you get 46% from? His save percentage last season was around 75% which is a huge upgrade on Kepa who had a save percentage of around 53%

He's also 6ft 6 in which makes him 5 inches taller than Kepa. Due to that height he is very comfortable collecting crosses and dominating his box unlike Kepa who literally stays rooted to his goal line

Also, it's a good thing Cech is leading the recruitment, he knows exactly what is required for a GK to be play at the highest level and what attributes are needed to play in the Premier League

Mendy isn't world class but he appears to be a good keeper and a massive upgrade on Kepa

Admittedly I did see it on Twitter so it could have been false. Plus I don’t know much about Mendy. 

It just seems odd that we’re not going for a world class keeper and settling for a stop gap. I get that there might not be a world class keeper available though. 

It is a difficult situation so I won’t be too critical. 

Edited by JM7

20 minutes ago, JM7 said:

It just seems odd that we’re not going for a world class keeper and settling for a stop gap. I get that there might not be a world class keeper available though. 

It is a difficult situation so I won’t be too critical. 

The thing is, we just don't know how the club is looking at our goalkeeper situation. It may be that with Thiago Silva and Ben Chilwell it is decided not to spend money on a new keeper - at least not right now - but see how the bloody expensive Kepa will do with a revamped defense. Then again, Frank may insist on getting a new goalie and we're on the hunt right now. We have to await developments (or none).

13 minutes ago, Valerie said:

The thing is, we just don't know how the club is looking at our goalkeeper situation. It may be that with Thiago Silva and Ben Chilwell it is decided not to spend money on a new keeper - at least not right now - but see how the bloody expensive Kepa will do with a revamped defense. Then again, Frank may insist on getting a new goalie and we're on the hunt right now. We have to await developments (or none).

Yeah it is difficult and I’m guessing that they’ve not had too much interest from other clubs wanting to take Kepa. It would be hard to justify splashing out on another £70m keeper whilst we’ve still got Kepa on the books.