Edouard Mendy to Chelsea!

1 hour ago, kiwi1691 said:

Grow up, this is the Mendy thread. If you want to bring shame to the term Chelsea supporter by constantly insulting a Chelsea player please keep in the Kepa thread, so the rest of us can avoid it. 

Boohoo, I've dishonored the Chelsea supporter's name for "insulting" Kepa who has factually performed poorly as opposed to using numerous expletives to call out his performance. Because poor is an insult nowadays 🙄

Forgive me oh great one! 

Hope he plays today.  I'm not sure what Lamps is getting at when he says he isn't ready.  He's a GK - stop the shots and catch the crosses.  Yes we play a complicated game passing out the back, but would rather have Mendy for the high crosses WBA will likely throw at us.  If not him, must be Willy C.

21 minutes ago, JM7 said:

Thought he looks decent. Looked a little dodgy with crossing but at least he’s trying to defend his box. 

Got no where near the pens but they were all top quality pens. 

I don't know. I feel like if he dived to his right for any of the first 3 penalties, he would have saved them.

Liked what i saw overall although remains to be seen how much of that is down to the starry eyes of seeing a keeper mastering the basics.

We may need to save a keeper sub for KO games in future though, was far too easily beaten with all of the pens.

Edited by Argo

2 hours ago, Slojo said:

He looked excellent besides the penalty shoot out, not sure what he was doing there, looked like he has never even attempted to save one before. 

Yes, overall had a decent debut bar the one flap but he was disappointing in the penalties. I know they are a lottery but he did pretty much the same thing on every penalty and didn't get near one. Would much rather a keeper dive, even if he gets sent the wrong way.

2 hours ago, Slojo said:

He looked excellent besides the penalty shoot out, not sure what he was doing there, looked like he has never even attempted to save one before. 

It's not that easy to save a penalty, it's mostly on the player that is shooting most of the time and 4 out of 5 of Spuds penalties were simply taken in a great manner, Kepa is better at saving penalties but I still wouldn't want him to come on anyway...

You can't have it both ways by saying that nobody should bother Mount that he missed his penalty but then also saying that Mendy looked like he never attempted to save one in his life as if he should have saved more than one of them by default...

8 hours ago, JM7 said:

Thought he looks decent. Looked a little dodgy with crossing but at least he’s trying to defend his box. 

Got no where near the pens but they were all top quality pens. 

Agreed. I felt far more confident with him in goal rather than Kepa.

1 hour ago, Gol15 said:

It's not that easy to save a penalty, it's mostly on the player that is shooting most of the time and 4 out of 5 of Spuds penalties were simply taken in a great manner, Kepa is better at saving penalties but I still wouldn't want him to come on anyway...

It's not so much he didn't save any but he got conned the same way four times, I watched the shootout again and they all looked like action replays, I had very little confidence of him saving one as soon as that happened twice.

It's not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, Cech (Munich was an anomaly) and Tibo were sh*t with penalties aswell but it's something we'll have to keep in mind for knockout ties.

42 minutes ago, Argo said:

It's not so much he didn't save any but he got conned the same way four times, I watched the shootout again and they all looked like action replays, I had very little confidence of him saving one as soon as that happened twice.

It's not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, Cech (Munich was an anomaly) and Tibo were sh*t with penalties aswell but it's something we'll have to keep in mind for knockout ties.

Sometimes it's just like that, a keeper tries to predict that one side and it happens exactly when he changes it, it probably didn't help Mendy that Kane was their last taker.

The guy was dominating from start to finish. He intercepted like 10 crosses, didn't catch only one of them and got two amazing saves. The defense was also more comfortable until this reject Emerson came in and f**ked up the game.

About the penalties. Yeah, it doesn't seem like he's got an instinct because he went in the wrong direction 5 times, but who cares about that. There are once or twice per season shoot-outs so not that important. Just to remind you Cech was also terrible at penalties up until May 2012. 

This is not an important feature of a goalkeeper's game 

Now he needs to validate his performance in PL/

Edited by Droopy

Very different goalkeeping style to Kepa that's evident after just one game. 

Looked to come off his line to claim crosses and corners more often than not. Kepa very much likes to defend the goal line. 

Mendy could be prone to letting in goals that look bad because he doesn't claim a cross but I think his more proactive style could see us break away on counter attacks more often.