Edouard Mendy to Chelsea!

14 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

You could say if he didn’t charge out yesterday then he’d have got a foot to Rudigers ridiculous brain fart. The other side is if Rudiger didn’t touch the f**king thing Mendy would have claimed it at his feet. Basically - f**king Rudiger!

If he stayed on his line he might have saved Rudigers shot, but given was a pass back chances are he would have been sent off and given away a free kick right on the goal line.

5 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

If he stayed on his line he might have saved Rudigers shot, but given was a pass back chances are he would have been sent off and given away a free kick right on the goal line.

I was a gentle roll along the ground, if he couldn’t get his feet to it from his line then maybe I’d be a better choice in goal. Fatty Faulkes 2.0. 

4 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Keeper cannot be cautioned for handling inside the box even if it is a backpass, the only penalty for that is an indirect freekick inside the box.

40 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

You could say if he didn’t charge out yesterday then he’d have got a foot to Rudigers ridiculous brain fart. The other side is if Rudiger didn’t touch the f**king thing Mendy would have claimed it at his feet. Basically - f**king Rudiger!

I blame it on communication. Mendy should be screaming at Rudiger to clear it or leave it and if he doesn't shout, then Rudiger should be booting it out for a throw in.

Sorry, but that own goal was 100% on Rüdiger. Mendy charges out to claim the ball while Rüdiger is looking right at him. What on earth is he supposed to shout?

Mendy's form has certainly reverted to the mean since the improbably excellent beginning of his stewardship, but at the very least the 'standard' Mendy appears to be about average at everything, which probably (as odd as it sounds) makes him an above-average keeper. I'll take that right now, especially considering the alternatives.

No blame for the OG on Mendy. Rudi, who was in possession of the ball has to clear it. Smash it out for a corner or throw. Playing a backpass, that Mendy would'nt have been able to pick up, when a) he was so close to goal and b) there were loads of Sheffield players near, was a braindead move by a braindead defender.

If there's a chance of Chelsea signing Donnarumma in the summer on a free (even if it includes big agent fees and wages) I fully expect them to pursue that oppotunity. 

Mendy has been an upgrade on Kepa but he isn't by any means an elite level goalkeeper. 

He was a necessary signing because of how badly and unreliable Kepa has been but he is by no means a long term solution in goal for Chelsea. 

On 05/02/2021 at 17:36, dkw said:

Its funny seeing keepers now comfortable with the ball at their feet. I remember when the rule was still in its infancy in the prem and we signed Ed De Gooey, the panic on his face everytime the ball got passed back to him was hilarious....then the fear in the fans as he got the ball was terrifying 😂

Can still remember back in the day when James Beattie managed to sneak up on DeGoey's blind side, rob him and score. Was sitting in the Matthew Harding at the time and never before or since heard so many people screaming "Man on!" to so little effect! 

1 hour ago, ForeverCarefree said:

If there's a chance of Chelsea signing Donnarumma in the summer on a free (even if it includes big agent fees and wages) I fully expect them to pursue that oppotunity. 

Mendy has been an upgrade on Kepa but he isn't by any means an elite level goalkeeper. 

He was a necessary signing because of how badly and unreliable Kepa has been but he is by no means a long term solution in goal for Chelsea. 

I'm quite sure Marina is expecting Tuchel to turn Kepa into prime Gordon Banks ... signing yet another goalkeeper is very unlikely to be on her agenda !

7 minutes ago, Sexyfootball said:

I'm quite sure Marina is expecting Tuchel to turn Kepa into prime Gordon Banks ... signing yet another goalkeeper is very unlikely to be on her agenda !

Oppotunities to sign players of Donnarumma's quality and profile don't come around very often, especially on a free transfer. You can bet that if he doesn't sign a new contract with Milan that Chelsea will be somewhere near the front of the queue for his signature. Most other top clubs in Europe already have a top quality goalkeeper (Barca, Atletico, Madrid, Liverpool, United, City). PSG might go in for him as Navas at 34 has a few years left in him but might opt for a replacement whilst there is the oppotunity or Juventus might try their luck although they've seem pretty happy with Szczesny for a while now. 

You could sell Mendy at the end of this season for half of what we paid for him and he would still have been a worthwhile investment for this season. 

With the risk of making a complete clown of myself and the laughing stock of the forum, am I the only one who thinks that Mendy is not that of an upgrade over Kepa? Yes, he started quite strong with a few clean sheets in a row but he's had a few shockers as well. I do acknowledge the fact that his height is a significant advantage over the Spaniard but that's pretty much it. 

I still think that Kepa will be more solid with the current backline we have and we need to remember that he was not such a disaster under Sarri. Whether its his confidence or his lack of height being exploited, I think all he needs is some boost of trust from the manager by handing him a few games in a row as a starter and he might show some glimpses of his potential. Nevertheless, he was once first down the pecking order for Spain National Team and that is hard considering they have De Gea as well. 

22 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

I thought Mendy has been pretty decent overall. If we get Donnarumma fine if not I wouldn't be too worried about Mendy as our main GK for next season. 

Edited by reparto corse
10 minutes ago, Hensi said:

With the risk of making a complete clown of myself and the laughing stock of the forum, am I the only one who thinks that Mendy is not that of an upgrade over Kepa? Yes, he started quite strong with a few clean sheets in a row but he's had a few shockers as well. I do acknowledge the fact that his height is a significant advantage over the Spaniard but that's pretty much it. 

I still think that Kepa will be more solid with the current backline we have and we need to remember that he was not such a disaster under Sarri. Whether its his confidence or his lack of height being exploited, I think all he needs is some boost of trust from the manager by handing him a few games in a row as a starter and he might show some glimpses of his potential. Nevertheless, he was once first down the pecking order for Spain National Team and that is hard considering they have De Gea as well. 

I agree that Mendy isn't an upgrade over the Kepa we saw during the time we had Sarri as a manager but no one knows if Kepa ever gets back to the same level of confidence and form.  It would be too much of an gamble to give him multiple games as a starter now. 

Mendy's save% is somewhere in the 70's/80's while Kepa's was just over 50.

Under Kepa we were a state at set pieces under Mendy we are one of the best at them.

A lot of Mendy's simple saves are shots that would have flew in under Kepa and worse he'd have made them look unsaveable, that late overhead kick by Billy Sharp on Sunday goes in on Kepa's watch, Lamela's 30 yard shot at WHL last week would have been touch and go aswell. 

Mendy is already on more clean sheets than Kepa last year.

Whether Mendy's good enough long term is one up for debate, whether he's better than Kepa isn't.

Edited by Argo
14 minutes ago, Hensi said:

Mendy is compentent. He doesn't really excell at anything in terms of goalkeeping but Kepa got to the point where he was making at least one costly error per game. 

His height is definitely an issue, the Premier League is full of sides that bombard the area with crosses and lofted balls and Kepa doesn't command his area, he defaults to wanting to stay on his line and doesn't come and claim things very often. 

Mendy at least will come and claim crosses and alright with shot stopping. Kepa was getting beaten by shots from outside the area all the time last season, at the minimum shot stopping from distance should be a stregth for him... but it's not. 

5 minutes ago, reparto corse said:

I thought Mendy has been pretty decent overall. If we get Donnarumma fine if not I wouldn't be too worried about Mendy as our main GK for next season. 

Mendy has done okay. He looked great for this first 10 games or so but after that initial high he made a some pretty costly errors. One of his main problems seems to be decision making about how far he comes off his line (which is ironic given Kepa's reluctance to come off his line). He's recklessly come flying out of his area on a number of occassions now.

Mendy is alright but he's nowhere near the level of Edison, Allisson, Courtois, ter Stegen, Neuer. 

If you want to be consistently competing for trophies you build from the back, a quality goalkeeper is the foundation of all good teams. It's very rare that a team will win a league title with an average goalkeeper and that's exactly what Mendy is. 

• 3 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, erskblue said:

Happy Birthday to him, he is 29 years old today!😀

Happy birthday Eddy - hoping for your birthday you get yourself some gloves that allow you to catch the ball (as opposed to punching it back into danger, as you did against Utd a couple of times), and a pair of boots that allow you to kick it calmly (as opposed to seemingly the blind panic and tunnel vision that happens when you currently have the ball).