Edouard Mendy to Chelsea!

Sexyfootball

Just now, Deino said:

This guy is really really good. Saved our goat today.

In no way is he lesser than the current top keepers of today

I agree. I'm quite happy having Mendy instead of the latest flavour of the month Donnarumma for example 🙂

39 minutes ago, Deino said:

This guy is really really good. Saved our goat today.

In no way is he lesser than the current top keepers of today

He’s Underrated IMO. His clean sheet record is brilliant and he does all the fundamentals well I think.
He’s had a few dodgy moments like in the first couple minutes against atletico where he miscontrolled, but I think his mistake earlier in the year against Everton where he gave away a penalty is the only clanger he’s dropped that had lead to a goal. 

Overall I’m happy with him though and I think there’s only a couple better than him in the PL at least.

47 minutes ago, Sexyfootball said:

I agree. I'm quite happy having Mendy instead of the latest flavour of the month Donnarumma for example 🙂

Edou is the biggest example of how profile goes into thinking with football fans. He was cheap, unemployed a few years ago, rose to prominence late and has played for unfashionable clubs so no one really cares.

If he was a 22 year old stereotypical stud who came here or to another top club for big money he'd be hero worshipped.

Edited by Argo

I’m not sure why we are reportedly looking for a new number 1.

Our defence has improved greatly since we bought him.

There are other areas of the pitch that are in need an upgrade first.

EwYHQPsWUAIv_ZZ.thumb.jpeg.f8fcc6a922df579766188285f3382df4.jpeg

And most of those games he failed to get clean sheets were in the period the whole team collapsed.

Pre collapse Lampard and Tuchel his record reads 23 games 17 clean sheets 6 goals conceded. The fact there's calls to replace him and worse still give Kepa another chance is mind-blowing.

Good saves yesterday to earn us a point. No doubt in my mind that he was our MOTM.

I am nervous every time he has the ball at his feet, but he does the rest of the fundamentals well and is a decent enough shot stopper.

Would still take Donnarumma though....:)

If he gets a wee bit better / more confident with his passing and feet he'll be one hell of a keeper. Thing is, with such few shots allowed per game the latter becomes almost more important or at least equally important than the actual goalkeeping. But yesterday was a great display of him and you never think he'd allow for an "easy" pot shot to go in - unless it's made by Rüdiger.

7 hours ago, weetee said:

If he gets a wee bit better / more confident with his passing and feet he'll be one hell of a keeper. Thing is, with such few shots allowed per game the latter becomes almost more important or at least equally important than the actual goalkeeping. But yesterday was a great display of him and you never think he'd allow for an "easy" pot shot to go in - unless it's made by Rüdiger.

While I do agree playing with your feet (which I think Edou is a lot better at than given credit for) is very important, I imagine he's a very big part in why he has little to do, defenders can't perform to such a maximum they currently are with no to little faith in the keeper.

On 13/03/2021 at 14:51, Sexyfootball said:

You'd be gutted if your kids asked to have DONNARUMMA printed on the back of their latest Chelsea shirts in the club megastore at £1.40 a letter.

I'd start persuading them what a great player ETO was.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Really important to the win today, made some good saves and commanded the box well. Every time he has the ball at his feet I worry....actually, worry isn't the word, blind panic is more accurate, but he did well and was solid.

Not convinced he is world class, but he has overcome the slight wobble in form he experienced a couple of months ago, and is racking up some impressive clean sheet numbers. Long may it continue!

4 hours ago, Ballack & Blu said:

Do we really need to spunk god knows how much on ACs Donnarumma, Mendy really was excellent again today, i don't see another keeper as an absolute necessity?

I agree, if Mendy was a big name and cost us a lot of money, nobody would be saying we need to go out and bring somebody else in. His performance was excellent, he made great saves and dominated the penalty area from set pieces, which is just what we want from a goalkeeper.

On 02/05/2021 at 02:50, Scott Harris said:

I agree, if Mendy was a big name and cost us a lot of money, nobody would be saying we need to go out and bring somebody else in. His performance was excellent, he made great saves and dominated the penalty area from set pieces, which is just what we want from a goalkeeper.

Is the whole point that we’re not spending lots of money? Donnarumma is available on a free this summer as things stand. It’s simple business that if one of the best young goalkeepers in the world is available for nothing that you’re in on it. I love Mendy he was exceptional tonight, but it makes zero sense from a business or a football sense not to throw our hat in the ring for Donnarumma. Mendy and Kepa or Mendy and Donnarumma? No contest in my opinion.