Jump to content

Edouard Mendy to Chelsea!


Recommended Posts


4 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Is the whole point that we’re not spending lots of money? Donnarumma is available on a free this summer as things stand. It’s simple business that if one of the best young goalkeepers in the world is available for nothing that you’re in on it. I love Mendy he was exceptional tonight, but it makes zero sense from a business or a football sense not to throw our hat in the ring for Donnarumma. Mendy and Kepa or Mendy and Donnarumma? No contest in my opinion.

I disagree. We should get away from anyone managed by Raiola. They are just hyped up to earn him a huge paycheck.

How is Donnarumma going to bench Mendy after this season with the salary that he wants? Competition for goalkeepers rarely turn out well

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Deino said:

I disagree. We should get away from anyone managed by Raiola. They are just hyped up to earn him a huge paycheck.

How is Donnarumma going to bench Mendy after this season with the salary that he wants? Competition for goalkeepers rarely turn out well

Like I said, this is why fans aren’t club executives. If the club can get an asset like that for no fee - they will, it’s really that simple. 
 

The salary he wants is apparently €200k a week, about £172k - that’s about what we pay Kepa I believe. Like I said, not a competition if we can ship out Kepa. Personally don’t care who the agent is. I’d also take Haaland despite him being managed by Raiola. 
 

I also disagree about competition, the best will win out in the end like every position.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Is the whole point that we’re not spending lots of money? Donnarumma is available on a free this summer as things stand. It’s simple business that if one of the best young goalkeepers in the world is available for nothing that you’re in on it. I love Mendy he was exceptional tonight, but it makes zero sense from a business or a football sense not to throw our hat in the ring for Donnarumma. Mendy and Kepa or Mendy and Donnarumma? No contest in my opinion.

They can't both be number 1 goalkeeper though. Donnarumma is young, but there is no guarantee he will be good, why experiment again and potentially lose points next season when we have a goalkeeper good enough right now?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, EdinburghBlue said:

Like I said, this is why fans aren’t club executives. If the club can get an asset like that for no fee - they will, it’s really that simple. 
 

The salary he wants is apparently €200k a week, about £172k - that’s about what we pay Kepa I believe. Like I said, not a competition if we can ship out Kepa. Personally don’t care who the agent is. I’d also take Haaland despite him being managed by Raiola. 
 

I also disagree about competition, the best will win out in the end like every position.

Goalkeepers are different though. They and the defence thrive on stability. There are no examples of a win-win situation with having 2 quality keepers because by the end of the season, one will transfer away. Having Donnarumma be 2nd choice at any point will trigger Raiola.

Why do you think every season there're always Pogba rumours? Raiola is notorious for creating drama out of nothing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

They can't both be number 1 goalkeeper though. Donnarumma is young, but there is no guarantee he will be good, why experiment again and potentially lose points next season when we have a goalkeeper good enough right now?

I mean he is good, it’s not like he’s 18 and never played a competitive game, he’s got a lot of games under his belt at a young age. Donnarumma is 22, Mendy is 29.
Of course keepers play until they’re a lot older but that’s still 7 years worth of investment. If you can’t see the business positives here, I dunno what else I can say to you.

If you owned a house worth £200k and someone offered you another one worth the same but for free, would you say no thank you, I’ve already got a house I’m really happy with? No you’d take it, decide which you preferred and if you still loved your house then you sell the one you were given. Hell you can sell it for £100k and you’re still making £100k you wouldn’t have otherwise. it’s pretty much guaranteed to generate the club money either way. It’s a win-win situation IMO. 

I appreciate you may view it differently and you’re entitled to do that.

7 minutes ago, Deino said:

Goalkeepers are different though. They and the defence thrive on stability. There are no examples of a win-win situation with having 2 quality keepers because by the end of the season, one will transfer away. Having Donnarumma be 2nd choice at any point will trigger Raiola.

Why do you think every season there're always Pogba rumours? Raiola is notorious for creating drama out of nothing. 

Pretty much the same as I wrote above. Yet Pogba has been at United for 5 years now. Costa angled for a move away every 6 months and he wasn’t a Raiola player, these things happen.

 

I appreciate you guys have different opinions and that’s fine. I’m just saying from a business point of few. The club would be mad not to be trying to get what is a sizeable asset for free, it would kind of offset the Kepa f**k up as well. 
 

Anyway, it’s all hypothetical anyway because we have nae idea if we’re in for Donnarumma or if he’d come so I’m not gonna derail the Mendy thread anymore - especially after how well he done tonight!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Og We have had a great transfer window in the summer tbh. Id say Mendy was our best signing for sure, but Thiago Silva, Chilwell and Werner have been very good, Ziyech has done bits here and there, and Havertz recently has looked unreal. 

The club made a statement to say we no longer be buying squad players, where we need to fill gaps, ie emerson zappacosta, barkleys of the world. But will only buy players of exceptional quality, or noone at all. And its definitely worked, which was obvious tbf.

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Adamrb said:

Suspect Kepa will play FA Cup which is mental but just what clubs do these days

Surely not. We want to win the trophy and Kepa and his short arms are not an aid in that quest.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spiller86 said:

Surely not. We want to win the trophy and Kepa and his short arms are not an aid in that quest.

You can’t be starting Kepa every game in the FA cup and then suddenly drop him. He’s 100% in the starting line up. To be fair he did get a few clean sheets recently.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We should play Mendy in the finals and give Kepa some league games to keep Mendy fresh. It's not a given that the cup keeper plays the final, Cech came in and played the 2015 final for us and I think he also played the EL final against us despite them having a different cup keeper.

Link to post
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

You can’t be starting Kepa every game in the FA cup and then suddenly drop him. He’s 100% in the starting line up. To be fair he did get a few clean sheets recently.

Question is whether we want to win or not. We've regularly played the backup keeper until the final and then had the number 1 start. Sentiment has no room. You're there to win. In the big moments against Madrid, Mendy's extra reach made all the difference. You don't take the chance when trophies are on the line.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, sonic90 said:

We should play Mendy in the finals and give Kepa some league games to keep Mendy fresh. It's not a given that the cup keeper plays the final, Cech came in and played the 2015 final for us and I think he also played the EL final against us despite them having a different cup keeper.

Cech was the cup keeper in both those examples. Courtois was our number one at that point and Leno was Arsenal's.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think Mendy is an exceptional goalkeeper but a bit like the defenders I think the system is helping to get the best out of him. 

He started to look a bit shaky a one point in the season, it felt like he was getting beaten quite easily and his positioning started to look questionable. 

Recent weeks, along with almost everyone else, he's managed to take his game up a notch. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Well, this is awkward!

awkward the office GIF

The Shed End Forum relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible without pop ups, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online and continue to keep the forum up, as over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this domain by switching it off. Some of the advert banners can actually be closed to avoid interferance of your experience on The Shed End.

Cheers now!

emma watson yes GIF

Alright already, It's off!