Edouard Mendy to Chelsea!

Well, it's clear we need a new GK regardless, but yes, lets not spunk a lot of money on a goalkeeper again. Eduoard does seem to have the experience though, also very tall which is a bonus. 

I wouldn't even be angry at the club if they just went for someone like Romero instead of paying a stupid fee, just anyone who can do the job for a season and then we can go in big next summer. 

Edited by Slojo

On 08/09/2020 at 08:17, haviet1 said:

Don't understand some reactions in here.

Just because he cost only 20M doesn't mean he's sh*t. Lots of excellent players were bought for 20-30M before they became GREAT.

I am sure he's a better keeper than what Chelsea has right now between the sticks.

Some people sh*t on signing a lad named Cahill in January 2012 as they believed it wasn't a position of need and that he wasn't good enough anyway. The lad turned out to be quite a wise purchase at £7 probably one of the best deals we had. Nowadays £20 odd million on a giant goalkeeper could be a similar purchase. I trust Cech and it would be great for this monster to be coached by another giant. I am just hyped to have a different keeper than Arizzabalaga who has definitely turned into a giant bust. 50% save percentages are not going to cut it.

This guy is just fine as a second goal keeper and alternative to Kepa. Even if Kepa is later replaced by a better alternative this guy will still be at least a viable No 2. Equally he's not so good, nor comes with such a big reputation that Kepa will immediately see the writing on the wall. 

2 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

You've never seen him play, how can you know he's nothing special? I'll take Cech and Lollichon's view on this one.

To be honest, none of us know how any of our signings are going to work out, until we've seen them play over a lengthy period, and that goes for Havertz, Werner, Ziyech et al as well as Mendy !

As you say, we have to trust that Lamps, Cech, Maria etc have got it right this time, and fingers and toes all crossed that we don't have a repeat of previous transfer window disasters, and at least some of the signings hit the ground running, and continue to run, and become our next generation of Chelsea legends.

13 hours ago, KrazyTea said:

Some people sh*t on signing a lad named Cahill in January 2012 as they believed it wasn't a position of need and that he wasn't good enough anyway. The lad turned out to be quite a wise purchase at £7 probably one of the best deals we had. Nowadays £20 odd million on a giant goalkeeper could be a similar purchase. I trust Cech and it would be great for this monster to be coached by another giant. I am just hyped to have a different keeper than Arizzabalaga who has definitely turned into a giant bust. 50% save percentages are not going to cut it.

Who I do think may be key is Lollichon (spelling?). Listening to various podcasts, including Rob Green, I think the relationship fell apart between Lollichon and Courtois with Courtois just wanting him to serve in the end. Then with Kepa coming in, the hinted inference was that he also has a bit of a chip on his shoulder and overblown ego (don't know if that's true or if Green just doesn't like him) and the relationship with Lollichon didn't improve either. Reading bits of pieces in the media I think he and Cech are having a bit of a say in the recruitment which is including this guy Mendy and if that means a return for Lollichon to full coaching then I think that would be a good move. Having seen some of his previous training drills and snippets on the internet I think he is a decent GK coach. I think at the moment it might be Hilario who is being used.

50 minutes ago, SFL82 said:

There’s a few decent keepers in the championship I’m surprised we didn’t look there 

Yeah I can’t believe we didn’t analyse all the available highly rated goalkeepers in the world that fit within our budget, and we just randomly picked out a keeper from ligue1 for sh*ts and giggles.  I mean all our signings this window have just been randomly picked out of Cescs old magic hat.  Clueless the lot of ‘em.

28 minutes ago, WhiteWall said:

Who I do think may be key is Lollichon (spelling?). Listening to various podcasts, including Rob Green, I think the relationship fell apart between Lollichon and Courtois with Courtois just wanting him to serve in the end. Then with Kepa coming in, the hinted inference was that he also has a bit of a chip on his shoulder and overblown ego (don't know if that's true or if Green just doesn't like him) and the relationship with Lollichon didn't improve either. Reading bits of pieces in the media I think he and Cech are having a bit of a say in the recruitment which is including this guy Mendy and if that means a return for Lollichon to full coaching then I think that would be a good move. Having seen some of his previous training drills and snippets on the internet I think he is a decent GK coach. I think at the moment it might be Hilario who is being used.

If Hilario is doing the training, is it fair to blame Kepa for being so terrible 🤔

32 minutes ago, WhiteWall said:

Lollichon was Cech's coach who came with him from France.

He and Courtois didn't see eye to eye, but it wouldn't be a surprise to see him back in the main role with Cech back. Mendy ticks a lot of boxes and is likely better than Kepa.

1 hour ago, Spiller86 said:

Lollichon was Cech's coach who came with him from France.

He and Courtois didn't see eye to eye, but it wouldn't be a surprise to see him back in the main role with Cech back. Mendy ticks a lot of boxes and is likely better than Kepa.

I am better than Kepa, even though I am only 5ft 6ins 😉

3 hours ago, DarkMata said:

Yeah I can’t believe we didn’t analyse all the available highly rated goalkeepers in the world that fit within our budget, and we just randomly picked out a keeper from ligue1 for sh*ts and giggles.  I mean all our signings this window have just been randomly picked out of Cescs old magic hat.  Clueless the lot of ‘em.

Why the sarcy reply? We have made great signings, saying I’m surprised we haven't been linked to any championship keepers when there are a few decent keepers there, is just that, a passing observation, we haven’t been linked to many seems what we are looking for is hard to come by,  it’s not a criticism just conversation. 

Remember when so many were clamoring for a cb and gk when we were primarily linked with Havertz? Now we have a cb; are close to getting the gk and are apparently pushing pretty hard for Declan Rice... Don't know if any team has made 9 first team transfers -- I guess Sarr isn't directly a first team transfer since he'll go on loan, but I digress. Regardless if we get Rice or not, this window has been absolutely wild. I also don't think it's 9, I think it would be 7.. regardless that number is crazy 

• Mod Stark changed the title to Edouard Mendy to Chelsea!