Sexyfootball

Edouard Mendy

I'm amazed though, that given the number of world-class goal-keepers who regularly post in here, why none of them have offered themselves up to the club to replace what is obviously a clown in a keeper's kit.

I'm not defending the lad, I think maybe he could have done better with Brighton's goal, but equally can see why a very good shot will beat any keeper at any time. It gets wearing, though, when people take up a position on a player, and, from that point onwards, that player can do nothing right.

It happens a lot in here.

1 hour ago, yorkleyblue said:

I'm amazed though, that given the number of world-class goal-keepers who regularly post in here, why none of them have offered themselves up to the club to replace what is obviously a clown in a keeper's kit.

I'm not defending the lad, I think maybe he could have done better with Brighton's goal, but equally can see why a very good shot will beat any keeper at any time. It gets wearing, though, when people take up a position on a player, and, from that point onwards, that player can do nothing right.

That is true Yorkley and in some cases it is unfair on the player.

But in Kepa's case, all he has to do is stop SOME shot's, catch SOME crosses.............just LOOK like a keeper FFS!!

I'd love it if he turned things around and was our No.1 for years, but I have seen nothing from him that makes me think that is likely to happen. I know he has international caps for Spain, but he just isn't a very good goalkeeper, never mind a £70m one.

I agree was more concerned with him flapping at crosses he didn’t play that bad overall it wasn’t a disaster and the goal that beats most keepers, to call that a howler is literally ridiculous.

We need a new keeper for sure but people forget he was good u see sarri and was Spain’s number 1 That didn’t happen by him being useless. 

Rob green said the new way frank is playing at the back was a point of disagreement and kepa wasn’t onboard, Frank is no defensive tactician seen that at 2 teams now, this same team plus Luiz could defend just fine under sarri, it may be the tactics as much as kepas confidence. 

Either way kepa needs to improve as does franks defensive coaching, let’s hope it all happens at once. I wouldn’t scrap kepa just yet but we definitely need an option that can replace him 

I think considering Kepa has been dropped from the team 3 times in his short time with us then on his return back he has to perform. He can't be given any leeway. 

Loads of people were hopeful that his game against Liverpool in the cup was him coming back into confidence, I wasn't one - but lots were. Then he was shocking after the restart. There's only so much hope people can have in a guy who in my opinion, has ruined the reputation of our central defenders and very very nearly cost us champions league - when we should have been 10-15 points clear. 

In spite of all that I guarantee you that if he had kept a clean sheet against Brighton there wouldn't be so much chat about him. If he had looked good and kept a clean sheet - like in the fa cup against Liverpool - some people would say he should be given another chance.

However he made 2 mistakes in that game and so looked exactly the same player who was dropped by Frank in the summer. He needs to be relegated to the reserves and loaned out quick for everyone's benefit including him. Every game he plays his value drops.

21 minutes ago, Nibs said:

That is true Yorkley and in some cases it is unfair on the player.

But in Kepa's case, all he has to do is stop SOME shot's, catch SOME crosses.............just LOOK like a keeper FFS!!

I'd love it if he turned things around and was our No.1 for years, but I have seen nothing from him that makes me think that is likely to happen. I know he has international caps for Spain, but he just isn't a very good goalkeeper, never mind a £70m one.

Can't argue @Nibs - Like I said, I wan't defending him as such, I just thought he didn't play that badly on Monday, certainly not enough to warrant some of the more lurid abuse.  I think someone said he couldn't have been that bad to be Spain's keeper, and he did OK when he first came here.  Lately he's been playing worse than me in goal, I'll grant you that, but I still believe a lot of the animosity from our more childish fans was caused by the refusal to come off the field over 18 months ago, and their opinion of his keeping ability was tainted by that ever since.  Same as Willian's instamatic picture of Conte, meant that the hard of thought could never see any good.  FFS, people are still whining on about Willian and what he did in an Arsenal shirt FFS.  Let it go, bitches.

Still would rather have a 94 year-old Cech in goal on Sunday, though.

Edited by yorkleyblue
speeling

1 minute ago, yorkleyblue said:

Can't argue @Nibs - Like I said, I wan't defending him as such, I just thought he didn't play that badly on Monday, certainly not enough to warrant some of the more lurid abuse.  I think someone said he couldn't have been that bad to be Spain's keeper, and he did OK when he first came here.  Lately he's been playing worse than me in goal, I'll grant you that, but I still believe a lot of the animosity from our moire childish fans was caused by the refusal to come off the field over 18 months ago, and their opinion of his keeping ability was tainted by that.  Same as Willian's instamatic picture of Conte, meant that the harder of thought could never see any good.  FFS, people ar estill whining on about Willian and what he did in an Arsenal shirt FFS.  Let it go, bitches.

Still would rather have a 94 year-old Cech in goal on Sunday, though.

I personally don't care about that. I didn't care about Willian either. People make mistakes. 

It's purely that as you say, he's been absolutely rubbish. 

In my eyes, that goal against Brighton would have been saved by ross turnbull. I don't understand how anyone doesn't see that. Often I think he makes average shots look amazing (palace, Liverpool away), but on this occasion he didn't even do that for me. It was a slow, low, from distance. He covered it despite his movement being clunky and just missed it. It was an absolute dolly. 

But apparently some people think it was a good shot, so it makes sense him getting some defence on here on the basis. I can't see how we win with him in the team against Liverpool and I'm not looking forward to the game. They are smart enough to target him like they did when we last played them. 

16 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

I personally don't care about that. I didn't care about Willian either. People make mistakes. 

It's purely that as you say, he's been absolutely rubbish. 

In my eyes, that goal against Brighton would have been saved by ross turnbull. I don't understand how anyone doesn't see that. Often I think he makes average shots look amazing (palace, Liverpool away), but on this occasion he didn't even do that for me. It was a slow, low, from distance. He covered it despite his movement being clunky and just missed it. It was an absolute dolly

But apparently some people think it was a good shot, so it makes sense him getting some defence on here on the basis. I can't see how we win with him in the team against Liverpool and I'm not looking forward to the game. They are smart enough to target him like they did when we last played them. 

For those that love their XG stats ... the Brighton goal was rated at a 0.02 chance of going in ... as you say, "an absolute dolly" 🙂

3 hours ago, yorkleyblue said:

Oh sweetie, I understand the frustration when people go OTT and have a constant agenda... but you must let me vent on this one if you’d be so kind.

For a brief period I played in goal for my girls’ football team (I was sh*te so moved to defence) and even I appreciated that I was allowed to use my hands and had stand in a good position so I had a good chance of getting the ball should it come my way. I did not see one ounce of improvement in any aspects of his game against Brighton. 

Yes I’m throwing toys, knee jerking all over the place and spouting my superior knowledge(!) about Kepa but Christ on a bike, I’m jus SO frustrated that I’ve lost all rationale. His effort to get down and his positioning for that goal against for Brighton? Never seen such weak goalkeeping at Chelaea, truly. 

Edited by Gem

4 hours ago, Sexyfootball said:

For those that love their XG stats ... the Brighton goal was rated at a 0.02 chance of going in ... as you say, "an absolute dolly" 🙂

How is that XG estimated? These stats have increasing importance and I get the general idea but would like to learn a bit about the individual instance estimation. 

1 hour ago, abramovich said:

That must be the longest goodbye in Rennes history.

The french are very romantic people it’s to be expected  

3 hours ago, ozboy said:

How is that XG estimated? These stats have increasing importance and I get the general idea but would like to learn a bit about the individual instance estimation. 

Have a read of this web page.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/what-is-xg-football-how-statistic-calculated/h42z0iiv8mdg1ub10iisg1dju

Edited by Sexyfootball

18 minutes ago, Sexyfootball said:

Thanks I read that but it still doesn't go far enough for me. I want to know whether a bunch of people sit round looking at 50 similar situation and say only 1 time did the guy score, or is it run through a computer that finds similar situations and does its own analysis.Do they measure the speed of the shot?  Because in the end I think 0.02, like 49/50 times  that shot would be saved doesn't look right. If you had told me 4/5 times it would be saved I'd be more inclined to agree. It wasn't that soft a shot, it did go to the side of the goal, there was a player partially blocking Kepa's view. No-one thinks the goalie could have saved Reece's shot, even though that was from further out. But we all think Kepa should have done better. 

Edited by ozboy

6 hours ago, ozboy said:

Thanks I read that but it still doesn't go far enough for me. I want to know whether a bunch of people sit round looking at 50 similar situation and say only 1 time did the guy score, or is it run through a computer that finds similar situations and does its own analysis.Do they measure the speed of the shot?  Because in the end I think 0.02, like 49/50 times  that shot would be saved doesn't look right. If you had told me 4/5 times it would be saved I'd be more inclined to agree. It wasn't that soft a shot, it did go to the side of the goal, there was a player partially blocking Kepa's view. No-one thinks the goalie could have saved Reece's shot, even though that was from further out. But we all think Kepa should have done better. 

Not even 49/50 is a 2% chance, unless 1 means it goes in 100 percent of the time then 0.02 would be 49/50.

Not only is the parameters unclear But how would you even begin to work that out? 

Maybe take 100 shots from that same area and look at the goal percentage? Even then so many variables that it means nothing, every shot is different, in velocity, movement, bounce, spin, how obstructed the view was, in the end it means nothing.

You would be more accurate just assessing yourself who you think would and wouldn’t safe that 

6 hours ago, ozboy said:

RJs shot was a bullet. It was an incredibly soft shot to concede. 

Clue is in the fact that the ball went under kepas arm.