Welcome To Chelsea Thiago Silva *Official*

I've always been totally against signing players in their 30's who have done it all at big clubs and have probably lost the hunger. BUT I make the exception with Silva. He might nearly be 36, and no doubt is in decline, but he is still such a class defender and so much better than anything we have currently. Hopefully he will marshall that back line, a la JT and also help some of the younger defenders to learn from him.

Just need a half decent keeper now............................

My favourite signing of the summer so far. Brings experience and leadership, which have been sorely lacking in our backline. He's a fierce competitor and that drive should be a shining example to our young squad. He will strengthen our backline immeasurably if he performs as he has done the last few years. Between him and Dave we now have two strong leaders who won't allow standards to drop. Too hard for Azpi to do it all from RB last season, but now with another marshal at the back, I think we will be much improved. A commanding Gk would complete the set.

I am still kind of torn with this signing, there's no doubting Silva's quality and what he will bring to the changing room in terms of leadership and a role model to the younger players, particularly the CB's. Hopefully he can feed his knowledge in to them and help them develop as players. The main concern for me is his age and his pace. The way we play pushing up the pitch with a relatively high line is dangerous when you have a Raheem Sterling running in behind a 36 year old Silva. Admittedly, those concerns were alleviated somewhat in the CL final where he played really well against a team that does have pace. Hopefully it works out and considering we didn't pay a fee and he reportedly took a big wage cut to join us, it's a relatively low risk move. If he is as good as we all hope and expect we extend him for the second year, if not - we re-enter the market next summer and hopefully there will be a better market for a top class CB.

We're one injury to Silva away from essentially the same leaky defence we've had last couple of seasons (Chilwell will improve things at left back but he's not a leader and he's not going to organise the back line) That's why a new Keeper is still an essential requirement and why talk of a Title challenge is still a bit of a stretch in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, fitz said:

We're one injury to Silva away from essentially the same leaky defence we've had last couple of seasons (Chilwell will improve things at left back but he's not a leader and he's not going to organise the back line) That's why a new Keeper is still an essential requirement and why talk of a Title challenge is still a bit of a stretch in my opinion.

I think we are likely to bring in Rice as well. He would improve us in defence too.

On 07/09/2020 at 09:13, EdinburghBlue said:

I am still kind of torn with this signing, there's no doubting Silva's quality and what he will bring to the changing room in terms of leadership and a role model to the younger players, particularly the CB's. Hopefully he can feed his knowledge in to them and help them develop as players. The main concern for me is his age and his pace. The way we play pushing up the pitch with a relatively high line is dangerous when you have a Raheem Sterling running in behind a 36 year old Silva. Admittedly, those concerns were alleviated somewhat in the CL final where he played really well against a team that does have pace. Hopefully it works out and considering we didn't pay a fee and he reportedly took a big wage cut to join us, it's a relatively low risk move. If he is as good as we all hope and expect we extend him for the second year, if not - we re-enter the market next summer and hopefully there will be a better market for a top class CB.

He has zouma and Chilwell next to him 2 of the fastest defenders in the league he will hang back a bit I’d assume and let them push up as they have the pace to recover. 

Plus if you watch him he isn’t actually slow we are just assuming because of his age he is slow he is still sharp, Ronaldo isn’t slow by a long stretch and he is 35 and apparently Juve’s fastest player. 

Edited by SFL82

5 hours ago, SFL82 said:

He has zouma and Chilwell next to him 2 of the fastest defenders in the league he will hang back a bit I’d assume and let them push up as they have the pace to recover. 

Plus if you watch him he isn’t actually slow we are just assuming because of his age he is slow he is still sharp, Ronaldo isn’t slow by a long stretch and he is 35 and apparently Juve’s fastest player. 

I always remember that Linford Christie made the Olympic 100m sprint final at the age of 36 ... age is just a number 🙂

On 07/09/2020 at 09:13, EdinburghBlue said:

The way we play pushing up the pitch with a relatively high line is dangerous when you have a Raheem Sterling running in behind a 36 year old Silva. 

I don’t find that thought more scary than Raheem Sterling running in behind Christensen, Rudiger or Zouma TBH. 

Thiago Silva is a top defender and will be even if he’s lost a yard. 

On 12/09/2020 at 15:32, Sexyfootball said:

I always remember that Linford Christie made the Olympic 100m sprint final at the age of 36 ... age is just a number 🙂

He was fairly obviously roided to the gills TBF. 

The more I think about it, this signing is great. Not just because he's still a quality cb, but also because I believe he can help improve all of our CBs, including Rudiger.

Rudiger is the most experienced CB we have, which says it all. Having Silva potentially playing alongside him, Rudiger will listen to the more experienced defender imo.