Welcome To Chelsea Thiago Silva *Official*

I agree it's humiliating but that's the reality. We don't have players to wear the badge. Rudiger is gone, Lampard doesn't like Barkley, Azpilicueta and Jorginho are terrible captains, I don't see them motivating the team or affecting the referees decision in any way. The rest shouldn't even be considered. Maybe if Zouma has good overall performance this and the next year he will inherit the captain's badge. But for now the lack of leadership is disturbing. 

People are being far too harsh, he's got a big task, was playing in the CL not that long ago, has to come into a sh*t defence and organise it without speaking any English. Besides those two mistakes he made (one being very critical of course) he has been solid imo. 

Unless he makes a habit of it of course I think we should lay off the shtick. 

Thiago Silva was actually pretty good apart from the slip-ups. The guy is a proven leader and one of the best CBs of the last 5 years. We have seen how much better he is at passing and keeping possession than our other CBs and two silly mistakes don't change that. Stuff like that can happen to everyone, it was just unfortunate timing for us that we completely lost the plot for a few minutes and WBA scored 3 goals from 3 shots on goal. 

Which side of defence does Thiago Silva usually play ? I've read he is right-footed, so I'd assume he is normally a right centre back ? Would make sense as Luiz is a left centre back, and they've formed a partnership for Brazil ...

He seems to have also been on the right side for PSG, with Kimpembe as left centre back, at least that is what Whoscored show in the Champions League SF and Final last season ...

If he is right-sided, it is interesting that Lamps is sticking him in on the left ...

3 hours ago, Sexyfootball said:

Which side of defence does Thiago Silva usually play ? I've read he is right-footed, so I'd assume he is normally a right centre back ? Would make sense as Luiz is a left centre back, and they've formed a partnership for Brazil ...

He seems to have also been on the right side for PSG, with Kimpembe as left centre back, at least that is what Whoscored show in the Champions League SF and Final last season ...

If he is right-sided, it is interesting that Lamps is sticking him in on the left ...

Atleast he is still CB and Frank hasn't deployed him at full back or holding midfielder!

Bumping this thread.  Not glossing over the Barnsley mistake and WBA slip, but what a defender this guy is.  He goes with the man, puts in a shift, reads the game, and commands the area.  When heading he generally directs towards a player, and when on the ball immediately brings it forward.

Think he is absolutely class.  Hopefully stays fit and builds a solid partnership with Zouma who brings all the physicality we need in the back two.

9 minutes ago, just said:

Hopefully he can you have the same educational influence on our young centre-halves as Marcel Desailly did with John Terry.

I made a point in another thread that Silva seemed to be  basically training Zouma at times during yesterday's game, moving him around on the pitch. 

24 minutes ago, just said:

Hopefully he can you have the same educational influence on our young centre-halves as Marcel Desailly did with John Terry.

He has helped Kimpembe and Marquinhos turn potential into consistant too class perfomers, so im hopeful we see our other cbs improve, even if he is only here for a couple of seasons. 

I knew he was a quality defender, but his passing, and vision have suprised me a little, he is fantastic on the ball, (bar the slip).

Comes across as the consummate professional doesn't he ?

Great on the pitch, great off the pitch, strong leader, intelligent, media savvy ... clearly looks after himself as you'd think he was in his late 20s from looking at him.

I bet he'll pick up English pretty quickly as well :)

What a terrific signing ... :-)

There is this one moment in the first half where CP are blocking the central passing lines with the 2 CFs and mids forming a box in front of our CBs..  and our 2 CMs central . Now in most other games we would have seen the CB pass to the fb.. But Thiago actually demanded Jorginho to come deeper along siede as a 3 CB..  also dragging a CP player with him to open the channel.. i dont think any of our other CBs would have the confidence to do that.. thats what he brings..

Now another thing  must of us would have seen is that we dont play a lot of switch balls.. my suggestion is wait for a few weeks once this team starts to win regularly and builds confidence you will see the other dimensions come in.. thats why i think we havent even scratched the surface with this group..

• 3 weeks later...

8 minutes ago, Slojo said:

Besides a mistake at the start where he rushed in for a header and missed it, he was absolutely solid as a rock. His passing is exceptional. 

There was a moment in the second half where he played it between two Sevilla players to get us moving quickly, but our midfielders decided to slow it down and play safe. That really annoyed me because Silva could clearly see an opening for us to actually create something.